Forum Index > Food & Grub > the food thread
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Oct 18, 2004 3:53 pm 
1. It may seem like blasphemy, but I added tomato, onion, and jalapeno to cole slaw, and it was quite good. 2. The Fiesta mexican restaurant place I like in Cashmere has one in Ellensburg too. The chile colorado is every bit as good there as it is in Cashmere, but the sopitos had a not very good corn meal bottom dealo on them. The salsa was just as good too, but the service was pretty terrible.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostMon Oct 18, 2004 4:01 pm 
No blasphemy--nice fresh cabbage sliced thin is good! My favorite coleslaw is made with cabbage, Italian parsley, feta cheese, walnuts, and an oil-and-vinegar dressing. My consort, Campking, makes coleslaw with beets and baby peas added. Oh, I love cabbage.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Oct 18, 2004 4:12 pm 
"Consort," heh, I like that. My consort claims not to be a slaw man. I want him to be hot for slaw. How do you suggest I sex it up so he can't get enough slaw? I was thinking maybe some shrimp might help, but I am open for suggestions on this.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostMon Oct 18, 2004 4:16 pm 
Oh, wow, that could be good. Those big ole shrimp, sauteed with ginger and garlic, and a little sesame oil. And maybe a little sesame oil in the dressing. And some thin slivers of red pepper? Asian slaw?

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Oct 18, 2004 4:28 pm 
Try this as an introduction to cabbage. I thought it was pretty good. It was in the Seattle Times: Cooking with wine recipe: Pork Chops Braised with Red Cabbage and Apples Mustard-thyme butter: - 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature - 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard - 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves - 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper - 2 teaspoons lemon juice Pork and cabbage: - 4 rib cut pork chops, 1 inch thick - 1 tablespoon olive oil - ½ teaspoon salt - Freshly ground black pepper to taste - ¼ cup finely diced onion - ¼ cup finely diced carrot - ¼ cup finely diced celery - 1 small head red cabbage, quartered, cored and sliced ¼-inch thick - 2 medium cooking apples, peeled, cored and diced - 1 clove garlic, unpeeled - 6 sprigs fresh thyme or ¼ teaspoon dried - 1 small bay leaf - ½ cup dry white wine - ½ cup chicken broth - 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar 1. To prepare the mustard-thyme butter: Whisk together the butter, mustard, thyme, pepper and lemon juice until blended. Refrigerate. 2. To prepare the pork and cabbage: Trim excess fat from the outside edge of the chops, leaving about 1/8 inch. Heat olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat and brown chops well on both sides. Remove and season with some of the salt and pepper. 3. Sauté onion, carrot and celery in the pork drippings for 5 minutes. Add cabbage, apples, garlic, thyme and bay leaf. Sauté for another 5 minutes or until the cabbage has wilted slightly. Season with the remaining salt and pepper; add wine, broth and vinegar. 4. Arrange chops in the pan, basting with the cabbage and juices. Reduce heat, cover and cook slowly for about 45 minutes, turning and basting once or twice, until chops are tender and cooked through. Arrange cabbage on hot serving plates, removing the garlic clove. Place a pork chop on each plate and top with the mustard-thyme butter. Note: The mustard butter can be omitted from this recipe. The braised cabbage will provide plenty of moisture for the pork chops. From "Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner" by Bradley Ogden.

Art is an adventure.
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostMon Oct 18, 2004 5:07 pm 
Does anyone else ever catch America's Test Kitchen on Saturday afternoons on PBS? They have a cole slaw recipe that's purty tasty.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
mike

mike
PostMon Oct 18, 2004 5:34 pm 
Quote:
......mexican restaurant place I like in.....
Farther east in Toppenish (but close to the Horse Heaven Hills for you desert hikers) is a little Mexican place that makes the finest tortillas this side of Guatemala. None of those machine made tortillas here. They still make these by hand. Pat-apatta-pat, what a great sound to listen to while waiting for your meal. I always get a couple dozen to go. Located right across from the square.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Oct 18, 2004 5:36 pm 
Ah yes, I've heard of that place from relatives who live in Wapato.

mgd

mgd
PostMon Oct 18, 2004 6:33 pm 
I tried making my own tortillas once. Practice makes perfect. I need to practice. wink.gif

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostMon Oct 18, 2004 9:22 pm 
mgd wrote:
I tried making my own tortillas once. Practice makes perfect. I need to practice. wink.gif
i cheat, i use a kitchenaid mixer with a dough hook to make the dough, and a press to make the tortillas since i never could pat them out thin enough by hand.. but at least i do cook them on a cast iron griddle. they turn out pretty darn good i think....

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostMon Oct 18, 2004 9:30 pm 
Quote:
My consort claims not to be a slaw man.
Don't feel bad. My consort isn't a cabbage type either. You know that red cabbage lots of restaurants put on salads? He actually picks it all out, every little sliver. The only cabbage he's happy with in coleslaw, and then he's picky about the brand.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
polarbear

polarbear
PostMon Oct 18, 2004 9:39 pm 
OK, this may be slightly focusing the thread, but I'd like a quick survey of which vegetables everyone can't stand, as in it makes me want to hurl.gif Here's mine: brussel sprouts canned mixed vegetables creamed corn, peas frozen peas and carrots or peas and onions canned peas boiled zuchini that's all I can think of now...or can stand to think of

peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostMon Oct 18, 2004 11:12 pm 
Starjumper wrote:
Potatoes, corn, peas, and the other starchy vegetables, I can stand them but they are nasty. SJ
You must be on that Mediterranean diet epicure.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Oct 18, 2004 11:13 pm 
The slaw at La Presa, the Mexican place in Grand Coulee I'm always yammering about has some bodacious slaw that includes red bell peps and jalopies, too. There's this mexican joint in Dallas what makes slaw with jicama & pineapples & corn & Other Stuff. It's the Other Stuff that I never could figure out. I dunno if my consort partakes in slaw. "Consort...? Consort....! ...Come out, come out whereever you are...!" Damn, where's that consort when I need him? This thread is boring. I'm gonna go find my consort.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostMon Oct 18, 2004 11:16 pm 
polarbear wrote:
OK, this may be slightly focusing the thread, but I'd like a quick survey of which vegetables everyone can't stand, as in it makes me want to hurl.gif
Canned peas, dude, followed by canned diced carrots, or worse yet, canned carrots AND peas hurl.gif hurl.gif