Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Nov 18, 2008 2:26 pm 
ree wrote:
Bet that would be good with a bit of white wine. up.gif
Both to drink with it and in the recipe wink.gif A 1/4 cup white wine added in the clam sauce is ever so tasty!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Nov 20, 2008 2:19 pm 
For lunch today we tried out Buttery Sweet Corn soup by Pacific Foods. A very nice base for a quick and hearty chowder. It is very rainy and cold here today……
Sweet Corn and Chicken Chowder Ingredients: 2 cups Buttery Sweet Corn soup 1 11-ounce can extra sweet Niblets corn, drained 1 13-ounce can chicken, drained and crumbled Directions: Heat the soup, corn and chicken up over medium heat till nice and hot. Garnish with lots of fresh ground black pepper and chopped chives.
Grilled Cheese Sandwich Ingredients: 4 slices bread Butter 2-ounces Tillamook Special Reserve Extra Sharp Cheddar, sliced thin Directions: Heat your pan over medium high heat (I use a nonstick grooved omelet sized frypan). Butter the bread lightly. Drop a piece in the pan, buttered side down. Pile half the cheese on, top with other piece of bread. Cook till golden brown on bottom, flip and repeat. Make second sammie as above. Enjoy with soup. smile.gif
All photos by my husband.

ree

ree
PostSun Dec 28, 2008 5:51 pm 
the life and death (mostly death) of a coconut
Here's my coconut story. After, er, home processing* the coconut... I came upon an internet recipe for homemade almond joys. I heated up the sugar mixture and had the candy thermometer in place. It seemed like it took forever to get the thermometer to the "soft ball" mark on it. I kept cranking up the heat (gas stove, cool.gif tongue.gif ) wondering if it was too low, until I realized I'd cranked the heat to max. It got up to 240 (soft ball) degrees and I removed it from the stove, cooled it (a bit too long! bawl.gif ) and shaped it, poured WhoreFoods organic chocolate on it. Well, it definitely did NOT have that nice soft coconut texture. It was much harder and WAY, way, way chewier. I hope no one loses a tooth eating it. Effing shyite... I almost choked myself eating it! lol.gif shakehead.gif lol.gif I'm wondering what I did wrong? Did I heat the sugar too fast? Maybe I should have just made macaroons. *I bought the coconut from QFC, made a mess of my kitchen smashing it open, scooped it out (no easy task) and grinded it. Then I sweetened it with maple syrup and dried it in my dehydrator. Pure insanity.

ree

ree
PostSun Dec 28, 2008 6:14 pm 
lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif No shyite. I like making my own food because then I really know what's in it. ...And there's a magical and artistic aspect to cooking that intrigues me. It's kind of fun to experiment, even if I "fail." I'm not a big sugar freak, so I doubt I'll be making candies again. Next time I harvest a coconut, I'm trying the macaroons.

ree

ree
PostSun Dec 28, 2008 6:20 pm 
I'm wondering if the sh##ty chemicals put in almond joys make them so nice and fluffy. hmmm.gif paranoid.gif huh.gif shakehead.gif bawl.gif bawl.gif bawl.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Dec 28, 2008 6:25 pm 
The answer to that one Ree, is YES. Go read a bag of coconut found in a grocery store.....yumm-o (NOT!) A good "natural" version you can get of Almond Joys is by Sunspire Candies smile.gif They sell them at various natural food stores smile.gif Yum!

ree

ree
PostSun Dec 28, 2008 6:37 pm 
doh.gif hmmm.gif I guess. Those candy bars have to sit on the shelf a long time before they get bought and ingested. No wonder they fill them with all kinds of shyite to preserve shelf life. Then once they're off the shelf, it's your problem how to digest it. shakehead.gif Thanks for that link, Sarbar. Have you done anything with sunflower seeds? Crazy question, due to the season... I noticed in my last stop at a convenience store, your average sunflower seed package offerings have morphed into all sorts of seasonings like "ranch style", and "cheddar cheese". gag.gif It seems bizarre to me. Why make some food taste like another??? Let's get some cheese flavored bacon while we're at it??? lol.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Dec 28, 2008 6:46 pm 
Lol....no kidding! Btw, making macaroons with coconut, vanilla, condensed sweetened milk and a pinch of salt makes fabulous cookies (ya bake them). So tasty!!!!

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSun Dec 28, 2008 6:48 pm 
ree wrote:
Let's get some cheese flavored bacon while we're at it??? lol.gif
You asked for it. eek.gif

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostThu Apr 23, 2009 9:42 pm 
Marcona almonds and Bourbon (straight). Ahhh wub.gif

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostSun May 31, 2009 6:50 pm 
Mothers cookies are back ! chickenleg.gif twirl.gif party.gif

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSun May 31, 2009 8:37 pm 
For those of you with a Hagen's in striking distance... You need to go get a box of their herbed gnochi out of the refrigerated case. Seriously. Just go buy it. It just plain rocks. (I had it with fresh basil and goat cheese)

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Starjumper7
Human

Starjumper7
Human
PostSun May 31, 2009 9:45 pm 
Re: the life and death (mostly death) of a coconut
ree wrote:
Well, it definitely did NOT have that nice soft coconut texture. It was much harder and WAY, way, way chewier. I hope no one loses a tooth eating it. Effing shyite... I almost choked myself eating it! lol.gif shakehead.gif lol.gif I'm wondering what I did wrong? Did I heat the sugar too fast?
i'm no expert on making candy, but I've read that the more you heat it the harder it gets when it cooled, so maybe you heated it too much too fast and your thermometer had to much delay. A gas stove burner on high gets stuff way over 240 degrees. Off to buy some ice cream for a bedtime snack. biggrin.gif