Forum Index > Gear Talk > Tarps, the lighter the better
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jan 02, 2002 6:28 pm 
I have to say I'm intrigued by the tarp concept. The idea of sleeping out in the open air (with mosquito net if necessary) sounds appealing. Questions abound though... - What size tarp for solo hiking? For two people? - What material is best? - What's it going to cost? - What's it going to weigh? - What other stuff do you need, i.e. rope, stakes, etc.? - Do you use the same tarp material for a ground sheet? - Do you sleep under the tarp only when rain is a potential threat? What about morning dew? - Do you stay dry in the rain? - Have you ever had a problem trying to find a place to pitch a tarp? - Are there any "tarps for dummies" links?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Jan 02, 2002 7:16 pm 
I think in a real downpour, I'd want a tent. The only time I used a tarp was on a pretty low risk day to start with. Also mosquitoes can get in under tarps, even real big mosquitoes! I remember talking with a guy who had hiked up on Vancouver Island on the trail that goes the length of the island. He talked about one spot I believe near the beach, where mice were running over his sleeping bag all night...

salish

salish
PostWed Jan 02, 2002 7:50 pm 
Tom, I bought a used 8x10 Integral Designs Siltarp last year for $50. It has proven to be a really good investment, although I think the $135 price for a new one is way too high, as is most backpacking gear. I enjoy using this tarp more than my tent. My hiking buddies and I grew up hiking without tents, so sleeping out in the open has always been our preference. I have used my siltarp in a variety of conditions, including in snow and it works very well for me. I consider the 8x10 size to be the most versatile, but I'm sure the 5x8 would work, too. I usually use a piece of tyvek for my groundcloth. I usually set up my tarp between two trees or stumps or whatever, and I have about 12" of paracord tied to every tiedown. I sink Nobendium stakes and tie the loops in the tarp to them. If I don't have a tree I sometimes use my two hiking poles for supports. I keep dry in my siltarp, and in rain my hiking buddy and I use those little binder clips you get at the office and clip our backpacking ponchos to each end as a "door". It works pretty well. If I know it's going to be really windy and an absolute downpour, I bring my tent. My Siltarp weighs about 12 ounces, but with the paracord tieouts attached and stuff sack, I'm sure it's a couple of ounces more. It rolls up to about the size of one of those frozen pieces of bread dough. It rides above my Arroyo in the bottom of my Kelty Redwing pack and, along with the Esbit stove and pot, it all takes very little room. I used to have a link to a "tarpology" page, but I can't find it right now. There are a variety of ways to set up a tarp, but I tend to use only one or two methods. Hope this helps. Maybe if we see each other at the next Hi Lakers meeting I can loan it to you and you can experiement with it and see if you like it, before you commit to buying one. Regards, Salish

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jan 02, 2002 7:54 pm 
I have a sil tarp, and a sil shelter. I like the utility of the tarp. The shelter will work better in real down poors though. Bugs are an issue with either. Tarps, tarps, tarps

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dante

Dante
PostThu Jan 03, 2002 12:29 am 
Don't buy a tarp without checking out these LINK 1 LINK 2 I'd go with one of the SilNylon tarps. I just got the long SilNylon poncho/shelter from Campmor. I really like the stuff www.owareusa.com sells (it's one of the links above). I also have an Integral SilShelter, but I haven't used it much yet. I used to use my Army poncho as a tarp. It was heavier and I would sometimes use it as a groundcloth with the uncoated side down sometimes and it stayed useful as a tarp and rain gear. I wouldn't do that with my SilNylon poncho, but then it's almost a pound lighter. I use a Space Emergency Blanket as a ground cloth. 4oz. Cheap. Reflects heat. My only complaint is they can be noisy. You can fold the groundcloth over your bag to keep the dew off.

Dante

Dante
PostThu Jan 03, 2002 10:46 am 
Quote:
I have to say I'm intrigued by the tarp concept. The idea of sleeping out in the open air (with mosquito net if necessary) sounds appealing. Questions abound though... - What size tarp for solo hiking? For two people? I use Campmor's Ultralight Poncho/Shelter solo I'd get at least an 8' x 10' tarp for two - What material is best? IMO SilNylon - What's it going to cost? About $85 to $130 for an 8' x 10' SilNylon tarp I'm sure you can find a good one for less wink.gif - What's it going to weigh? A little less than a pound for an 8' x 10' SilNylon tarp - What other stuff do you need, i.e. rope, stakes, etc.? I carry 100' of Kelty Triptease (2oz) and 6 Moss Groundhogs (.5oz each) and a 4oz Space Emergency Blanket (ground cloth) with my poncho - Do you use the same tarp material for a ground sheet? Nope. IMO SilNylon costs too much for that. - Do you sleep under the tarp only when rain is a potential threat? What about morning dew? Yep. I fold half my ground cloth over my bag to keep the dew off If I think it will rain before I leave, then I bring a tent--I guess I'm not a true tarp "harg guy" - Do you stay dry in the rain? So far, but it takes more care to keep dry than using a tent. - Have you ever had a problem trying to find a place to pitch a tarp? Nope, but I can easily think of places where it sould be a problem--that's one of the reasons I finally got a trekking pole - Are there any "tarps for dummies" links? I've never thought to look. Let us know if you find one
Sorry, I didn't really address your questions. Here you go. P.S. Here's why I like SilNylon: 8' x 10' Tarp (Equinox) 14oz 8 Ti Tent Pegs 2oz 100' Kelty Triptease 2oz ---- Total 18oz

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jan 03, 2002 11:44 am 
Thanks, that was very helpful.

Knapsacker

Knapsacker
PostThu Jan 03, 2002 12:17 pm 
Tom, you seem to be fond of buying things. You should buy "Beyond Backpacking" by Ray Jardine. He has lots of info on tarps.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jan 03, 2002 1:03 pm 
I'm sure ole T.D. already has *crazy* Rays book! tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jan 03, 2002 1:31 pm 
Mr. Bug Bivy Knapsacker, you crack me up. Actually, I don't have Ray's book. I only like reading computer screens. I am fond of buying things lately given I am re-evaluating ALL my gear from a weight perspective, even the stuff I once considered "light". And yes TB, ol' Ray does seem a little crazy (and opinionated).

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jan 03, 2002 3:01 pm 
HA! We really have to plan a hike or three this summer. A get together in the mountains for three days would be great. TB