Forum Index > Trail Talk > Anyone been to the coast this year?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dante

Dante
PostThu Jul 18, 2002 7:23 am 
I want to take my five-year-old into Shi Shi--maybe to the Point of the Arches--via the Neah bay Res. Anyone done that this year? I've downloaded tide charts and other info through the Oly Park Service site. What I'm looking for is recent first hand info on road conditions, parking, trail conditions, etc. I scanned the most recent trip reports and didn't see anything.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Damian

Damian
PostThu Jul 18, 2002 8:32 am 
Of course the preferred route to Shi Shi is from the N. There has been talk for the past few years of a new trail that accesses Shi Shi from the N. I have also heard that current access from the N. via the old muddy road has been restricted while the new trail is being constructed, but I am not sure if this is fact. The Makahs have traditionally allowed use of this route even though the park says it is closed. It you use this route, be sure your 5 year old has tall boots. It may be tough to get information on the N. route as the Park service will not discuss this point of entry and will tell you it is closed whether it really is or not. You might try emailing the Makahs. They have always been prompt with answering messages. Their email is mtcops@makah.com.

rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostThu Jul 18, 2002 9:57 pm 
Yup, I've been to the coast -- spent three days at Ft Canby last weekend. The ocean is really wet this time of year. If you step in it, you'll get really, really, REALLY wet. There was no snow on any of the roads to Ilwaco. Lots of sand on the beach, so you might consider sandshoes. You can leave the sandaxe at home though -- footing is pretty good. There are lots of people there, also some dogs and some slugs. We saw a deer near the lighthouse. The water spigots are working and the showers have sporadic hot/cold water depending on your fellow campers flushing habits. Bugs not too bad. S'mores and martian mellows and salmon roasting on the fires make for good dinners. Saltwater taffy makes for great dessert.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Enterprise Joe

Enterprise Joe
PostSat Jul 20, 2002 4:52 am 
Posting from the USS Enterprise somewhere in time and place, I say HELLO Mr. Dante. Good luck making the arches... We didnt the time we tried. Hope the kids and wife are well. Have fun on the coast. tom b P.S., Hello to all you other out-of-doors folks!

Dante

Dante
PostMon Jul 22, 2002 7:54 am 
Thanks a lot rubberlegs rolleyes.gif Hey Tom--we tried it from the South when the weather was too bad and the tides too high. If the res. trail is open, Rose and I will try it from the north (shorter route) with minus tides (there are a bunch of weekend minus tides this month and next) and hopefully better weather.

Enterprise Joe

Enterprise Joe
PostTue Jul 23, 2002 10:01 am 
Dante you be careful out there! Good luck to you two. tom