Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > The Annual Winter Blues Thread
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Oct 29, 2004 9:02 pm 
Anybody here have SAD? It's hitting me real hard so far this year.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message

PostFri Oct 29, 2004 9:13 pm 
I do. Usually by Jan. I start feeling better about it knowing the days are becoming longer. I think I've found a cure...my new username might be a clue where to find it. rocker.gif

hopalong
Tree Climber

hopalong
Tree Climber
PostFri Oct 29, 2004 9:17 pm 
When I lived in Alaska I was SAD mad and had. Since I've moved to Washington though, it's not so bad. I ahve some bad days once in a while, but nothing to take any medication over. If it did get bad I would probably just take some St. Johns Wart. Good Luck Quark! This probably sounds corny, it helps me for some reason. Whenever you feel down because it raining and cloudy and everything is cold and wet. Remember that above the clouds it is still sunny (it's still cold though). Oh, and do lots of winter sports.

Trevor

Trevor
PostSat Oct 30, 2004 1:46 am 
During the past few months I have been so occupied getting out and enjoying nature in its prime conditions, that it has deprived me of some of my time that I designate for my other priorities. The frequent gloomy days will provide me a stimulus to stay inside and commence some of the tasks that I wish I could have been doing concurrent to all of my summer/fall hiking. Hopefully on a cold and damp winter's day I'll brew a warm beverage and start constructing a website. Despite the weather conditions, nature still has the potential to produce appeal. I will always take delight in seeing a frost covered ground scintillating in morning light.And the snow geese arrival is imminent, they are always enjoyable to gander and gaggle at. During the winter ,I will partake in the holiday festivities and plan all of the excitement brewing hiking trips for the following seasons, while keeping my body and optimism well insulated.

Chief Paulina

Chief Paulina
PostSat Oct 30, 2004 6:40 am 
That is a problem that I resolved many years ago by moving to the east side of the Cascades. Even when it is cold, the sun shines. cool.gif

"Life's been good to me so far" - Joe Walsh
Smokey

Smokey
PostSat Oct 30, 2004 7:45 am 
There hasn't been much of a transition this year. Some years we get clear, crisp days before heading into the gloom. This year, seems like we just got plopped right into the middle of it. I've always been convinced the winters here would be easier to deal with if I didn't have to slog off to work every day. Ya know, get up when I feel like it, sip a hot beverage at my leisure, ah, dream on . . . And to make it all worse, just when we're trying to adjust, they change the time. What a stupid idea. Have you tried any of the many SAD aids like the lights?

hikerjo

hikerjo
PostSat Oct 30, 2004 8:14 am 
Thats why science invented cars, go travel. up.gif The other day I met this Canadian climber in Vantage and he is going south for the winter. It was quite remarkable that he lead 5.11b trad (no problem) at 61 years old. eek.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSat Oct 30, 2004 8:36 am 
I have 2 light boxes. One I purchased years ago, and one for the office. (in case anyone wants to know, the guy at Indoor Sunshop in the U-Dist said many are prescription, and insurance companies pay for 'em. I didn't want to wait around to test his suggestion, I just bought the damn thing then and there. That's when I had more money than sense). They're not flourescent, but full-spectrum lighting. You don't stare at them, you glance at them periodically for 10 - 20 minutes. I had trouble with the cats, though. The lgiht is very warm, so the cats were always wanting to sit in front of it. It was a daily battle. Sure I could travel to sunny warm climes but 1) I'm not fully employed yet and 2) when I am fully employed, I'll have to uh....work.... and 3) I don't care for sunny warm climes (really). I found the best thing is to do what Trevor says - get out. The last few years I have been busy with work and school, there wasn't time to let SAD creep in (I used my light boxes for my plants). This year, I'm out of school and not yet fully employed. Once I'm back on track, I'll be better. actually I'm headed out to go have fun now!

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostSat Oct 30, 2004 8:59 am 
There's also the theory that getting 10 minutes of natural light on the back of your hands, first thing in the morning, will help. Course that depends on what is meant by "light"--we've got a lot of the overcast variety. Sounds like the full-spectrum light source you've got probably covers that base, anyway. I'm still in shock that we didn't get our beautiful, warm fall this year.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSat Oct 30, 2004 9:49 am 
I usually get down this time of year. The way I deal with it is getting really busy. I have 3 or 4 projects going on at the same time, so I don't sit and think about how blue I am. I also make sure I get outside for a bit every day, no matter what the weather is like. That really does seem to help.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl
PostSat Oct 30, 2004 12:44 pm 
Smokey wrote:
I've always been convinced the winters here would be easier to deal with if I didn't have to slog off to work every day. Ya know, get up when I feel like it, sip a hot beverage at my leisure, ah, dream on . . .
pfft... my job is to make the hot beverages people get up to sip... lol. Yeah... it's exciting. So on cold days... everyone cries "starbucks!" hmm... i do hope my coworkers actually set me up for my shift today... i do like to come in and see the place nice and clean and ready for me. *shakes head* shakehead.gif

touron

touron
PostSat Oct 30, 2004 1:33 pm 
*slurps coffee* Godly Girl, are you going to dress up as a coffee bean today? coffee.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl
PostSat Oct 30, 2004 1:46 pm 
nope... a christmas caroler... it was her idea... and now she's being a bum and saying she doesn't want to do it... that punk...

BarePaw
Barefoot Hiker

BarePaw
Barefoot Hiker
PostSat Oct 30, 2004 2:19 pm 
hopalong wrote:
Oh, and do lots of winter sports.
That's my cure. I love cross-country skiing. When I don't have time to get out, I still get some fresh air by walking or riding my bike to class. That may seem crazy, but they plow the roads. Lots of people here actually ride in the snow. The ten minutes it takes to get to class is plenty of exposure to fend off cabin fever. Then after I get home in the evening, I kick back with some hot tea. If that doesn't cut it, go for some hot cocoa with Bailey's in it. I love all four seasons. Right now I'm looking out at beautiful fall colors, and they're already talking about snow in the forecast. I can't wait. The only depressing part of this season is the Cougars' record.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Oct 30, 2004 3:05 pm 
I never understood that stuff. I NEVER get depressed during this time of year. I enjoy the change in temperature, light, and everything else that comes with fall/winter. In fact, I cant wait for the fall back time change in a few hours. TB tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln