Forum Index > Trip Reports > Marten Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ulrich

Ulrich
PostWed Jul 17, 2002 8:47 am 
My wife and I hiked up to Marten Lake last Monday. To our surprise we found a large iron grill leaning against a tree trunk, close to a fire ring. We are curious who would go through all the motions to carry it up? Any ideas? By the way, this hike is 'indeed challenging' as Karen Sykes described it in ' Hidden Hikes in Western Washington,' however after some initial confusion the trail becomes pretty much self explanatory.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostWed Jul 17, 2002 10:39 am 
Good One, Damian! (no msg)
Damian wrote:
My guess is that the iron grill was left there by Mr. McPilchuck back around 1968...

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostWed Jul 17, 2002 3:48 pm 
Interesting...a good guess but twas not me or my buds, we always packed out our skillets...one was flat with no sides and great for cooking blueberry pancakes, hash brwn spuds, and fresh trout with. To keep the black soot from getting all over ones pack, a plastic bag of sorts was always brouht. Rain or shine, we usually had a fire made from downed wood,only once do I remember taking an axe...they weren't needed. As for cooking over a fire, it was always grand and still is, but that depends on the elevation and where one is at..... http://www.alpinequest.com/mthigginsrain.htm

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Ulrich

Ulrich
PostWed Jul 17, 2002 4:48 pm 
Oh, I forgot to mention: Whoever did the cooking washed his dishes in the lake, leaving pieces of corn and noodles behind. So much for packing it in and packing it out .

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jul 22, 2002 4:30 pm 
I can see disposing of food waste a little better than leaving it in the water in plain sight, but I'm not sure I'm ready to believe pack-it-out philosophy requires carrying out pieces of noodles and corn. A cat hole like one uses for the end result of a corn and noodle meal should suffice... wink.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers