Forum Index > Support & Feedback > Posts sometimes don't fit the browser window.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mike

mike
PostSat Oct 30, 2004 12:22 pm 
So how come sometimes everything fits in the browser window and sometimes I have to scroll right to read the posts? Window being the same size.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl
PostSat Oct 30, 2004 12:39 pm 
cus sometimes the text is all one word... or all connected... and instead of just moving the continum of text to the next line... it moves along horizontally... untill there is a break in the text... then it moves down to the next line.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Oct 30, 2004 12:40 pm 
What browser are you using? Some browsers won't wrap long links, so when someone posts a long link it may expand the page. This is why I go in and shorten up links (via the URL tag) when someone posts a long link. Similarly, if someone embeds a large picture it will cause the page to expand (in all browsers). Also, if your resolution is set to less than 1024x768 you may need to scroll right more frequently. I would suggest at least 1024x768 resolution unless you have a very small monitor in which case you're probably stuck with 800x600 resolution.

mike

mike
PostSat Oct 30, 2004 3:18 pm 
netscape 7.1 1024x768 must be the long links or the pictures. I'll check next time it is too big for the window. Being out at the end of a rusty wire linking to pics or using thumbs is best for me. Sometimes it is a long wait for a thread to open if there are any full sized pics. By the way, I like how links open in a new window. And thanks for babysitting this site. Much appreciated.

mike

mike
PostSat Oct 30, 2004 3:31 pm 
Yup, it's the link. e.g. Service Falls thread, GoBlueHiker's link. No big deal, I just wondered why.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Oct 30, 2004 3:44 pm 
mike wrote:
Sometimes it is a long wait for a thread to open if there are any full sized pics.
I would download Mozilla (Firefox) and see if you have the same problems. From what I understand Netscape is based on Mozilla so it is interesting you are having these historical Netscape / AOL issues (links not wrapping / pages not loading until all pictures are loaded) as they are not present in the versions of Mozilla I have tested.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSat Oct 30, 2004 5:33 pm 
I use Firefox and only very occasionally have that problem, I think with beegg peeecktures.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Oct 30, 2004 5:58 pm 
I converted to Firefox at home and love it no real problems.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
mike

mike
PostSat Oct 30, 2004 5:59 pm 
Quote:
I would download Mozilla (Firefox)
I actually have downloaded the web install version of Firefox but haven't installed it yet. With a slow connection it takes forever to install and so I've put it off for a winter project. Maybe combined with a hardware and OS upgrade, too. To clarify, the text part of the thread displays OK and in a timely manner but as large pics finish dowloading I keep getting bounced back to them and have to scroll back to what I was reading. Next pic downloaded and boom, scroll again.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Oct 30, 2004 6:52 pm 
That is normal in any browser. It's one of the reasons I don't encourage folks to embedd a lot of images (other than thumbnails with a link to the larger image). To stop the page from scrolling while you are reading, just hit your stop button and the images will stop loading and won't interfere with you reading the text.

mike

mike
PostSat Oct 30, 2004 7:20 pm 
Quote:
just hit your stop button and...
Thanks for the tip, but.... I like to see OP's photos. But once is enough :>) After that i hit the stop button.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostTue Nov 02, 2004 5:32 pm 
Tom wrote:
..... if your resolution is set to less than 1024x768 you may need to scroll right more frequently. I would suggest at least 1024x768 resolution unless you have a very small monitor in which case you're probably stuck with 800x600 resolution.
Thanks. That's the one that solved my problem. agree.gif Except that the result yields such teeny tiny print that I can't read it. shakehead.gif So it's back to the scrolling. rolleyes.gif Grrrrr.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
mike

mike
PostSat Nov 06, 2004 1:49 pm 
Quote:
Except that the result yields such teeny tiny print that I can't read it.
Set the monitor resolution to 1024x768. You should be able to set a larger font size in the browser preferences. Then it will wrap automatically.