Forum Index > Support & Feedback > Frequent user name changes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Oct 26, 2004 12:14 am 
I am having trouble keeping up with who is who anymore. There are now at least three members with over 500 posts who I don't recognize. Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a solution? Maybe having the person use their old name as their title for a transition period or something. Or maybe their original/traditional name should be on their member page. Also, I still experience a lot of slowness, sometimes to the point of absolutely nothing happening at all, but just on this site. Then it works fine just five minutes later.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Oct 26, 2004 12:34 am 
Heh. For me, it's pretty obvious who the person just by looking at their avatar, their sig line, etc. It's not really that difficult, is it? If someone's wanting a fresh start, a name change is halfway to getting that break that their looking for. I don't think there are many that've gone that route. And I think that a few that have trod that path have returned to their original identies shortly thereafter. *shrug*

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
George W. Bush

George W. Bush
PostTue Oct 26, 2004 12:43 am 
Quote:
Is there a solution?
souse.gif

snailboy

snailboy
PostTue Oct 26, 2004 12:50 am 
Slugman, are you related to catwoman?

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostTue Oct 26, 2004 7:24 am 
Slugman wrote:
I am having trouble keeping up with who is who anymore. There are now at least three members with over 500 posts who I don't recognize. Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a solution? Maybe having the person use their old name as their title for a transition period or something. Or maybe their original/traditional name should be on their member page.
I don't know if you really want to eliminate such an important element of the witness protection program. Prosecution of trail pass and heather stepping kingpins will grind to a halt.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Oct 26, 2004 8:34 am 
Slugman, are you Marylou? Name changes are fun. Sometimes the name change is part of the post. Clever, punny. Doan worry about it. Life should be fun, not stressful.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue Oct 26, 2004 11:17 am 
Who is Slugman? I'm confused. It will be hard to keep up with the politics stuff and other non-hiking banter. Why not post under the real name? - Leo

Carla, The Goat Temptress

Carla, The Goat Temptress
PostTue Oct 26, 2004 11:34 am 
Yes, I must admit. I have grown tired of these name changers myself. Its ridiculous. You signed up on here to be one person. You need to stick to that one person. Its just foolish to be switching around. All you name changers should be ashamed... down.gif

loogerman

loogerman
PostTue Oct 26, 2004 1:16 pm 
Darn straight!

mgd

mgd
PostTue Oct 26, 2004 6:58 pm 
Please give me the 5 W's on Lurkin' Leo (who what where when why, thanks in advance). Leo has only posted 37 times, is a lurker, yet wants to have a vote in this discussion equal to those who have posted 500 times or more, and are not lurkers. That takes real kahonas. Friends, Romans, and fellow countrymen, we do not need to go to Florida to witness voter fraud. It is happening right here in Washington before our very eyes, with the likes of lurksters who claim the full right to vote. -MGD

touron

touron
PostTue Oct 26, 2004 7:05 pm 
MGD, looks like I am back to disagreeing with you again. Your viewpoint appears strident (at least to me). Anyone with a valid login name should have equal voice in this forum. Even though you and I may be diametrically opposed on the same issue and our votes cancel, we both have the right to vote, and our votes should be equal (even though mine will probably garner more electoral votes). It isn't the quantity of posts, but rather the quality, and it even isn't that in the end--it's just being able to participate in the great adventure. up.gif up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Oct 26, 2004 7:24 pm 
Quark wrote:
Slugman, are you Marylou? Name changes are fun. Sometimes the name change is part of the post. Clever, punny. Doan worry about it. Life should be fun, not stressful.
Hey now, dont insult ML like that. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue Oct 26, 2004 8:17 pm 
I would like to vote one more time, as soon as I delete my previous 15 posts. Each vote's worth is calculated using the following formula: IF (poster = Quark) votes = 100.1; IF (poster = Stefan) votes = 99.9; ELSE votes = 100 / no. of posts in last 7 days; That gives some of the more prolific and interesting posters, e.g. godlygirl, the proper number of votes. I wish I had more time to read all the fascinating posts in the Devils Club, but I have to get my nails done. -Leo

polarbear

polarbear
PostTue Oct 26, 2004 8:25 pm 
LOL, at the place I get my nails done all they talk about is the Devil's Club. That's why I never read DC on Monday's. Don't want a bunch of reruns while I'm waiting for the varnish to dry. This last Monday I had them use glow in the dark polish. Now I don't need my LED flashlight when I hike. I have 10 points of light that last for a whole week. wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif

Al Gore

Al Gore
PostTue Oct 26, 2004 8:29 pm 
My vote would be for every for every John, Judy, and Jane, these days, (but also in the day of the Kerry dancers) to go with the name they started out with. Less confusion that way.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster