Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > hunting of sows with bear cubs?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostTue Nov 09, 2004 9:47 am 
Loggerman said: So you lost me if your trying to make some point. Yeah, I lost myself somewhere, too. I think the point was in response to your comment about identifying bucks vs. does, bulls vs. cows and that the whole id process has become a bit more complicated with the 3 point regs and spike only regs-that was the point of the examples. I favor these laws but it is no longer as simple as seeing an antlered animal = legal animal in many cases.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jeepasaurusrex

Jeepasaurusrex
PostTue Nov 09, 2004 1:58 pm 
mike wrote:
follow up: Our property backs up to a watershed which was/is a popular hunting area even though illegal.
Hunting in watersheds is legal, as long as you hike in. You can hunt there on foot all you want. I picked up a nice deer last season over by Curlew that was basicly a big 2x2, but with big eye guards. Eye guards can count as a point, as long as they are 1" or longer. Dont forget to look for those. Also, there is one unit on the east side that allows for 2pt mule deer, 488 Grayback. In some of the GMU you can get a whitetail with any visable antlers. This is the Deer I got last year. 148yds uphill (as per the laser range finder). He was laying down behind two logs, peeking over them looking at us from time to time. He left me no shot but to put one thru the throat. That accomplished two things.. instant kill, and he bleed out real nice by the time we got there. toothless.gif
Deer03
Deer03

"I would like to see things from your point of view, but I cannot get my head that far up my butt"
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostTue Nov 09, 2004 2:30 pm 
Nice buck-nice shot. Believe me, on the bucks I'm talking about I was looking for eyeguards, or anything else over an inch that counted-These had huge forked racks-not unlike the one in your picture-but with a massive spread and they were BIG animals-it was almost impossible to believe that they didn't have an eyeguard or something else. Understand I'm not bitching about the 3 point or better regs-This may come off the wrong way when I say it but I've got a multiple decade 'run' going and I'm not really looking for new places to hunt. However, I'm really interested in archery and the Curlew area or at least GMU 101 up there has a long archery season for whitetail during the rut in November and December. My family has land in that area with an old cabin on it so I might really do that-it's pretty hard for me to give up my rifle, though.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Jeepasaurusrex

Jeepasaurusrex
PostTue Nov 09, 2004 3:06 pm 
I agree, that area is nice. We hunted down by Dayton this year, seen more people than deer. We stayed there for a few days, then packed up and headed west to Goldendale (GMU488). Hunted the rest of the week there. Wife and kids drove over and joined us for a few days. Was kinda nice to have the whole family there. Where abouts is your familys place? (PM me, if ya want) I've been all over that area (Got my first deer up Long Alec Creek). We are headed back over to that area next season. Taking the wife and kids this time, they love camping etc. I got the one in the picture NE of Curlew, up off the 6120 road. toothless.gif

"I would like to see things from your point of view, but I cannot get my head that far up my butt"
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostTue Nov 09, 2004 3:37 pm 
Dad's place is up the Trout Creek Rd about 4-5 miles off Curlew Lake-we used to spend about all summer up there back when I was a young buck, but when I got into HS and started playing summer ball we got out of doing that-And I'll bet I've been back there maybe only 15 times over the past 30 years-at one time I had a pretty good solid understanding of that country-Long Alec sounds familiar. Lately, since we've decided to log the property and manage it as tree farm I've been back up there a couple of times and my interest in the area has been rekindled. There's a hell of a lot of deer up there-many more whitetail than there used to be. I'd been wondering about hunting in a the Dayton country since I've been done there a couple of times in the past year and you inadvertently answered that question for me.

Jamin Smitchger

Jamin Smitchger
PostTue Nov 09, 2004 4:25 pm 
hunting sows with cubs
I do believe hunting sows with cubs is wrong. However, I don't think that a new law would solve the (small) problem. Imagine the situation if a legal hunter accidentally shoots a sow with cubs and was caught by the WDFW. Immediately he would have a game crime on his record. When hunting out in the woods, things can happen which cannot be anticipated. I remember once when I shot at a deer that I believed was a whitetail. Because I got Buck Fever, I thankfully missed. I realized when the deer left that it was actually a muley.

mike

mike
PostTue Nov 09, 2004 6:29 pm 
Quote:
Hunting in watersheds is legal, as long as you hike in. You can hunt there on foot all you want.
Wrong! No hunting or trespassing allowed in this one. Just not safe to make blanket statements like that without facts.

Jeepasaurusrex

Jeepasaurusrex
PostWed Nov 10, 2004 1:36 pm 
Which water shed is this? I know the Tolt River Water Shed, and others are open to hunting, as long as you dont drive in. confused.gif

Vek

Vek
PostTue Nov 16, 2004 4:47 pm 
Regarding Bears
Back to the sow bears... I have occasioned to pursue the wily black ursus above timberline near Mt. Baker, so I have some limited experience. I've yet to get one, though. Anyway, several years ago, the voters of Washington passed a wholesale ban on hunting of bears and cougar (among other critters) with hounds. I'm no proponent of hound hunting, but done ethically, I don't see terrible harm in it. But that's just me... Fallout is this: Bear season lasts from August 1 through November, where I hunt. You are allowed two bears per year, one per outing. For those unfamiliar, that is a very liberal season, when you consider we have but 14 days to try to find mule bambi in most of the state (modern firearm - archers have more opportunity, for obvious reasons). Reason for the liberal season: bear density is naturally less than deer, for whatever reason (I'm no biologist). You are therefore hard-pressed to find them in the woods. You may see them down low in a clearcut, but the old (and very effective) way was to find a fresh track in the woods, loose the hounds, try to keep up, and shoot it out of a tree. Now, you have to either hunt down low watching a clearcut (less berry forage in summer/fall), or get up high in the blueberry meadows. That way, you can see more than 30 yards in any direction, and maybe spot one. Result has been less harvest, hence the liberal season. Cougar season lasts longer still, and you have damn near half a year to get one. Anyone remember the last time they saw a cougar in the wild? I never have in 10+ years of hunting deer, elk, and bear. The only way to get them, barring outhouse luck, is to cut a track and use hounds. Since this is now illegal, they give everyone a tag. Some choose to try to call cougars with wounded rabbit or fawn calls, but that seems a touch spooky, to have a bad, bad apex predator stalking you. Turnabout, I guess! The low harvest and consequent high number of bears probably explains the "recommendation" in the regulations to not shoot a sow with cubs. DFW does not have the enforcement resources to follow everyone into the woods. For the record, I too verify no cubs, but if I was hunting with a partner and we had the drop on a sow and cub, we might just drop them both (perfectly legal) - I bet the cub would have great meat. -JV

Jerry V.
Accraholic

Accraholic
PostTue Nov 16, 2004 11:01 pm 
OH Man, Vek....Oh man oh man....the greenies are gonna flip when they see that one! Better get out the nomex.

Accraholic

Accraholic
PostTue Nov 16, 2004 11:05 pm 
Vek; You know they'll want to know if that cub is such great eating,(and it may be), then why wouldn't you shoot it if you were alone? It's got to be easier to pack, and butcher. It probably isn't much different than eating lamb as far as right/wrong goes either...right?

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostTue Nov 16, 2004 11:15 pm 
Quote:
It probably isn't much different than eating lamb as far as right/wrong goes either...right?
Lambs are stock animals. We dont need to worry about a shortage of sheep.

sailBOI
Access Public Lands

sailBOI
Access Public Lands
PostWed Nov 17, 2004 1:15 am 
Speaking of inhumanity to Bear......Check this out ! "Nearly 7000 bears live in agony in China, imprisoned on farms, where their bile is extracted twice a day for use in traditional medicines. "

I am working on reopening the Dosewallips Road for campers and hikers . Join our effort at : www.brinnonprosperity.org
Accraholic

Accraholic
PostThu Nov 18, 2004 5:46 am 
Loggerman; WE are far from having a shortage of bears, cougars, or coyotes. I'm not advocating shooting cubs, but there is definitely an excess of them and cougars too since the ban on hunting with hounds. Hopefully by the time the average voter figures this out, there will still be time to restore some type of balance before we loose the blacktail deer completely. It will always amaze me that management issues like this are handled by a vote from people who largely haven't a clue about the subject their voting on... You can't cry out that Mother Nature will set the balance when humans have settled in much of certain types of habitat, and are even now transplanting WOLVES of all things into places that they no longer belong.........................Now there's one for a new thread...WHY would they want to do something as stupid as transplanting a wolf where they have long since been gone?

Jeepasaurusrex

Jeepasaurusrex
PostThu Nov 18, 2004 11:08 am 
Goes to show ya, that "educated" people dont always have the best solutions. Is there a degree for common sense? What is it going to take before the concrete cave dwellers open their eyes and see that the cougar population needs to be controlled? I bet when a few kids end up missing from a housing development, they will pay attention. toothless.gif