Forum Index > Trip Reports > Eightmile Mountain - 7/24/02
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostThu Jul 25, 2002 2:27 pm 
This one starts at the Eightmile Lake trailhead, elevation 3300'. The oddly, plateau-like summit (7996') has room enough for two 747's and 300 of your closest friends, if not more! I started out at 9 AM and made my way up the relatively flat trail until coming to Little Eightmile Lake. From here, I continued on to the bigger lake where from the outlet I had an excellent view up to Eightmile Mountain and much of the route I would use to get to the top. Traversing the north side of the lake (on a trail) I came to the far end just over 1.5 hours after leaving my car. I crossed over a creek coming down the hillside then made my way along the north side of Eightmile Creek until I lost the now faint trail in a confusion of snags and deadfall that stretched as far as I could see. Here, about 150 yards from the end of the lake, I headed straight up hill through old growth and numerous deadfall to 5000' where I was stopped by a band of cliffs above and heavy brush to my left. I did not want to drop 300' to avoid the brush, so I started traversing across a large talus field choked with the stuff. I could see the next stand of old growth 400 yards out, but it seemed to be getting no closer as I fought off the impenetrable brush, swarming bugs and 90º heat. After 30 minutes traversing at 5000', I broke free and landed in welcome open forest. Feeling like the clock was ticking, I immediately started gaining elevation and trending to the west as obstacles required. At 5200' I stumbled upon a game trail that seemed to be going my way - it was so well defined and heavily used that it made the walking and traversing significantly easier. I followed it up and to the west until 5700' where I was able to access a large, open hillside directly above a spot in the valley bottom where thousands (literally) of trees lay toppled. I made an ascending traverse amongst rock and heather to 6000' where I entered a steep gully that brought me straight up to 6800'. The gully is a scree, talus and sand walk all the way up with significant rockfall on just about every step. At 6800', I was able to push west and access the broad slopes between Eigthmile Mountain and Point 7793'. At this point the rest of the route is straight forward and entirely open. I headed directly for the NE edge of the pass at 7600', then made my way along the south side of the SW ridge (class 2) to the broad, open summit. It took me 5 hours from car to summit. Sweeping 360º views are had here with the highlight being an in-your-face view of Stuart’s north face. There is a summit cairn and a film canister register hidden inside. Only 4 parties had signed in, but the register consisted of only 3 post-its that were essentially filled up. So, I copied the information from the post-its on to the half of my map I didn’t need, signed in myself, and then placed everything into a zip lock bag for safe keeping. Hopefully the next group that summits will bring more paper and something better to write with. After an hour on top I descended my route. After exiting the gully I began to make corrections to my ascent route that made for more efficient travel. I traversed the open slope above the fallen trees at 6000' to the stand of old growth instead of a descending traverse to 5700'. Then, instead of following the game trail back to where I found it at 5200', I left it at 5400' and made a direct descent straight down to Eightmile Creek reaching it 120' above lake elevation. This avoided the horrible talus and brush stretch I traversed on the way in. Stats: 9.5 hours car to car (including time on summit), 12 miles, and 4800' of gain.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostThu Jul 25, 2002 4:14 pm 
Eightmile Mountain (furthest right) and Eightmile Lake.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message