Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What brought you to NWHikers.net?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSat Nov 13, 2004 2:54 am 
Here's another historical thread...who or what brought you here? How did you find the site? Did a friend tell you to check it out? Did you stumble upon us via a search engine? Did you meet someone on the trail that pointed you in our direction? I came across this place while researching a couple of routes up the Middle Fork...think it might have been Big Creek / Dream Lake and Cripple Creek. Google had just crawled the site for the first time and I was pleasantly surprised to find a new resource with a ton of good information. After finding the place, I spent a good 8-10 hours reading a ton of old threads before posting my first trip report.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Nov 13, 2004 4:13 am 
When I started hiking in Washington (early 90's), I lived on the Kitsap peninsula, and hiked almost exclusively in the Olympics. But when I moved to Seattle, for a long time I was a non-car person (late 90's), and hiked mainly the Issaquah Alps, accessible by bus/bike. But then a neighbor gave me a free car for helping him move, and so I needed information on the Cascades, which was this big, intimidating, unknown area of National Forest, not teeming with friendly rangers and surrounded by visitor's centers (OK, two lol.gif ) stocked with maps and trail guides like the Olympics are. So I bought a copy of "100...Alpine", and that was OK. But then I met Tanja, and that's when I first went "online" (1999), and found the WTA (2000), and realized what a boon it was to have a recent trip report. Then it occured to me, somewhat slowly (two years!), that maybe I could write a trip report, and put something back into the community. Then one day (2003) I was looking for hot springs information and my search took me to VTrail, which has a link to this site on its homepage. My first post here was also a trip report, on the Gray Wolf River in Olympic Nat Forest.

hikerjo

hikerjo
PostSat Nov 13, 2004 7:50 am 
Tom is the result of me being here. headrub.gif

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostSat Nov 13, 2004 8:00 am 
I migrate from hiking forum to hiking forum. Eventually when they end up being nothing more than like the "Devil's Club" here, I move on. A good friend recommended this site. I mainly come here because the core group of posters sound pretty experienced and knowledgeable about Washington hiking areas.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
salish

salish
PostSat Nov 13, 2004 8:15 am 
I was part of the old WTA forums that evolved into nwhikers. If I remember correctly it was kind of a fledgling idea, and some wondered if it would fly smile.gif

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSat Nov 13, 2004 8:20 am 
ditto.gif I was probably one of the skeptics. rolleyes.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Nov 13, 2004 8:54 am 
Craig wrote:
Tom is the result of me being here. headrub.gif
Yes, the secret is out, I was looking for climbing info and he pointed me here. bagger.gif

Accraholic

Accraholic
PostSat Nov 13, 2004 9:09 am 
I found this site while looking for info on the Kalmiopsis Wilderness, and the Biscuit fire...I think I clicked a link from somewhere else, but I might have came straight from Google... I only recently discovered just how much ground the Biscuit fire covered, and it's a CRAZY amount! I know that the entire place isn't burned to absolute dust, and that the fire did skip around some, but...WOW! I would've been better off staying out of the D.C. probably, but I have gained some insite to other peoples views from the time I've spent in there.

reststep

reststep
PostSat Nov 13, 2004 9:26 am 
I discovered trail talk at the WTA website a few years back and when they closed that down Mtn Goat started another hiker forum and that led to this great forum. I really enjoy it and have gained much knowledge from posters here. It has kind of taken the place of the old Pack and Paddle Magazine for me. Some of same people that wrote trail reports for that magazine are here in this forum. Thank you Tom and MCaver for all of your work.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSat Nov 13, 2004 10:18 am 
Truth be told, I'm here because of Marylou! smile.gif I was reading the WTA magazine, and in one article she mentioned this website and cc.com. I had just married Chubbyhubby and finally had web access, so I decided to check this site out. I lurked for a while before finally registering and chiming in on a thread. I've been to other hiking sites, but this is the one I keep coming back to.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Nov 13, 2004 10:33 am 
What was the name of that old website we originals were on? Anyway, that site brought me here. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
qm1pooh
navigator

qm1pooh
navigator
PostSat Nov 13, 2004 11:01 am 
Long time lurker, first time poster. I think I found the site through WTA. I'm in the Navy and currently stationed in Portugal, but I'm transferring to the Puget Sound area next spring. This site has been a great source for info. Thanks! smile.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Nov 13, 2004 11:11 am 
qm1pooh wrote:
Long time lurker, first time poster. I think I found the site through WTA. I'm in the Navy and currently stationed in Portugal, but I'm transferring to the Puget Sound area next spring. This site has been a great source for info. Thanks! smile.gif
Welcome to you. And thanks for your service. When you get here you'll have to come to a get together. Or hell, we'll have to have one your way. Are you a Prowler junkie? TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
qm1pooh
navigator

qm1pooh
navigator
PostSat Nov 13, 2004 11:31 am 
Backpacker (Joe) Chumley wrote:
Are you a Prowler junkie?
Nah, I'm just one of those regular shiphandling types. The Prowler is a pretty cool airplane, though. smile.gif I'll try to make a social after the wife and I get settled in, but that should be in June when the good hiking weather comes in. At least, that's when I hope the good hiking weather comes in hmmm.gif

Nomad

Nomad
PostSat Nov 13, 2004 12:32 pm 
I found it while researching a potential hike. Bookmarked the site and lurked for a while. I joined because of the knowledgeable posts, great group of people. Maybe not in the DC but in the other areas. smile.gif

"Of all the fire mountains which, like beacons, once blazed along the Pacific Coast, Mount Rainier is the noblest." - John Muir "If the path be beautiful, let us not ask where it leads." - Anatole France