Forum Index > Trail Talk > Short overnight / campfire hike?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 25, 2002 11:12 pm 
Hi guys. Looking to do a short overnight hike with my young nephews. Criteria is nothing more than 2 miles with campfires allowed. I was thinking about Blue Lake (by Dock Butte) off Highway 20. Has anyone been there and/or know if fires are allowed? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
catwoman

catwoman
PostFri Jul 26, 2002 8:39 am 
As much as i love a good campfire, I think I wouldn't want to be lighting any fires anywhere about now!

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostFri Jul 26, 2002 1:06 pm 
Have you thought about Hyas Lake up above Salmon La Sac? I'm not sure about campfires but you could always check with the staff at the Cle Elum R.D. as you drive past. Nice, short, easy trail to a pretty spot and the nephews will love wading and splashing if it's a nice day.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
janders

janders
PostFri Jul 26, 2002 1:27 pm 
Hey Tom, I don't know about Blue Lake, but I would second Hyas Lake. If there is any elevation gain, it's not more than a couple hundred feet. Nice big campsites right next to the lake. Camp fires are allowed there unless the FS is not allowing them right now because of fire conditions.

"Oh dang!" - Captain Amazing
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jul 26, 2002 3:05 pm 
Yeah, hiked past Hyas Lake one too many times wink.gif. Was hoping to go somewhere a little more off the beaten horse path. My original choice, Blue Lake, looks to be frozen over as of last week according to the MBSNFS. Anyone been up to Slide Lake?

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Jul 26, 2002 3:12 pm 
slide lake is in a nice area, but for that long a drive and that much time on dirt (Illabot road) it's overkill for a kid hike, IMO. The walk in is fine, the lake itself is OK when full, and butt ugly later in the season, it's one of those which develops a mud bathtub ring as the water drops. What about a hike along the white river (wenatchee) and a camp along the shores? Great mountains all around, nice and flat, and numerous sand bars for kids to play around on. camps occur every so often for at least 4 miles if you stay on the E shore, on the West shore there is a decent camp right where the trail starts uphill to Indian creek. The upper icicle offers similarly flatish kid hikes with river access, as does jack or french creeks.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jul 26, 2002 3:49 pm 
Thanks, sounds interesting. How are the bugs along the river from past memory?

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Jul 26, 2002 3:54 pm 
they can be pretty bad, but the hike is low enough the snow has probably been gone for a while.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostFri Jul 26, 2002 9:36 pm 
It's a nice place with a good trail and great views of Baker and the Sisters Range, see: http://www.alpinequest.com/dockbutte.htm further: The old cement foundation pad reads: Fred Thorn, Roy Evans, Bill Beneke...Foundation Builders Inc.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostWed Aug 07, 2002 10:17 pm 
Did you want the Blue Lake on SR 20, or the Blue Lake near Dock Butte? Blue Lake Trail #604 in MBSNF is open as of 8/5, but the Dock Butte Trail #604.1 has patchy snow (both off FS Road #1230 from the Baker Lake Road). Trail conditions for the Mount Baker Ranger District: http://66.155.42.150/advscripts/mbs_trl_rpt.asp?w=mbrd Blue Lake Trail #314 (on SR 20 near Washington Pass) in the Okanogan NF has patchy snow to solid snow near the lake. No camping is allowed at this Blue Lake. On-line recreation guide for Blue Lake #314: http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/oka/rog/bluelake.html Trail conditions for Methow Valley Ranger District North: http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/oka/wnptrail.html Campfires are currently restricted throughout much of the Okanogan and Wenatchee National Forests: http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/oka/news/02-254.html

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Aug 07, 2002 10:49 pm 
I wonder if campfires are allowed at Lk Josephine? If you drove up the Mill Creek road you might shorten it enough for your nephews. It seems about 2 miles when I trace it out on Topo.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Aug 07, 2002 10:56 pm 
Thanks, already did the hike a week and a half ago.

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostThu Aug 08, 2002 6:00 am 
Where did you end up taking the nephews? I'm not nosy or anything. rolleyes.gif Actually, I'm taking my teenaged son and two nephews on a similar trip soon but the destination is still up in the air.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Aug 08, 2002 7:50 am 
You could take them into Dorothy, or Sunday lake. How about Evans lake up near the Rock-Panorama-Purvis trailheads? With Evans you'd get privacy, camp fires and a short hike. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Aug 08, 2002 10:42 am 
Kleet, we went up to White River. Here's the trip report I posted a while back. If you go there, my recommendation would be to stay on the right side of the river. We didn't find any appealing camping spots or sand bars on the left side.