Forum Index > Gear Talk > Dan Durston XMID 1P Tent
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
schifferj

schifferj
PostFri May 03, 2019 1:35 pm 
XMID 1P Tent I purchased a Dan Durston X-MID 1P Tent through Massdrop (Now just drop). I received it on schedule and I could not be happier. It is light and pitches extremely fast. It has two doors, and two big vestibules. The fabric is polyester and doesn't stretch or absorb water. The workmanship of this tent is absolutely flawless; it comes with all seams sealed. I've already used it on a couple trips and will be selling my other tents.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jdk610

jdk610
PostFri May 03, 2019 1:41 pm 
Wait, Dan is making tents?! I had no idea! Great for him!!

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri May 03, 2019 4:50 pm 
Ingenious design, Detailed demo here:
Let us know how well it stands up to a breeze and some rain. Thanks for posting about it. up.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
bertman

bertman
PostFri May 10, 2019 10:22 am 
I got mine but have not used it yet in the field. I already see some improvements that could be made for a version 2.

schifferj

schifferj
PostFri May 10, 2019 4:56 pm 
bertman wrote:
I got mine but have not used it yet in the field. I already see some improvements that could be made for a version 2.
I just finished a 6 night 7 day trip and I could find no fault with the tent. I used it with trekking poles set at exactly 46" and Ruta Locura CF poles. Its a bit easier to pitch with trekking poles that with the Ruta Locura as the Ruta Locura are finicky to adjust. I don't need a solid interior as I won't be using this tent in snowy conditions.

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostWed May 15, 2019 8:35 am 
How does a non-freestanding tent without guylines hold up in a wind? I couldn't tell from the video how the tent would be stabilized. I didn't watch the whole thing, tho. Was there optional grommets for guylines I couldn't see?

schifferj

schifferj
PostThu May 16, 2019 2:14 pm 
JVesquire wrote:
How does a non-freestanding tent without guylines hold up in a wind? I couldn't tell from the video how the tent would be stabilized. I didn't watch the whole thing, tho. Was there optional grommets for guylines I couldn't see?
It has guy line tie outs at both peaks equipped with line locs. It holds up quite well in the wind.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue May 28, 2019 1:17 pm 
A relative? I just got a NOS original series High Route 1. 36.8oz for everything (8 stakes, 2 extra tie downs, stuff sacks, plus fly and inner net). I got it pretty cheap, so far I like it, takes barely a minute to set it up, super simple to get a "catalog" style pitch. As a tarp it is as roomy as my 2p tent. I will never again use a tent that needs the inner set up first then the fly thrown over it. My 4 season Big Sky Chinook has an attached inner. So amazingly great for quick and wet set-ups. Hard to believe that more companies are not moving in that direction.
The Chinook has withstood massive winds and sideways rain - with no sagging at all, I don't really expect that from a tent 1/2 the weight that uses trekking poles, but it seems like it is very sturdy when fully staked down. Shaves almost 2lbs off my pack weight. Now I have: A single wall Brooks-Range 2p for winter - 4lbs 4 oz Big Sky Chinook for anything the other 3 seasons can throw at me 3lb 14oz The HR1 as my solo in the peak of summer home 2lbs 5oz My weights include everything one needs to actually setup the tent under expected weather duress.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.