Forum Index > Trip Reports > Three Brothers (west summit) - Teanaway - 5.22.2007
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostWed May 23, 2007 12:50 pm 
A gorgeous day in JimK Country... We started from the Stafford Creek trailhead (3100') at 7:30 a.m. and stayed on the main trail for 3 miles until we reached a stream crossing at 4800' feet... here we left the main trail and headed up on fairly easy terrain, gaining the ridge between Navaho Peak and Little Navaho at 6600'... giving back 500 feet of elevation, we worked our way over to the pass that separates the Falls Creek and Negro Creek drainages... then up the southwest ridge to the west summit of Three Brothers (7303'). Large snow patches start 2 miles up the Stafford Creek trail where horse camps are located; however, there has been enough foot traffic to make it easy to follow the trail. Ice axes were very useful. A very long day... 12 miles roundtrip, gaining 5300 feet of elevation... got back to the car at 6:15 p.m. GPS route and pictures of our Three Brothers trip. ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed May 23, 2007 1:33 pm 
Looks great !, How is the ridge that runs above The Stafford Creek trail from the pass. Runnable back towards the TH and then dropping down ? How does Middle Brother look as an extension from West Brother ? Awesome looking trip. hockeygrin.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostWed May 23, 2007 2:55 pm 
wildernessed... we were so consumed by looking at the Stuart Range that we didn't give any consideration to the ridge from Little Navaho back towards the trailhead... the map makes it look feasible, but we've all been misled by maps... As far as the middle Brother is concerned... we didn't get a very good look at it... I did walk over to the end of the west summit and took a photo of the middle and east summits... and from what I could see, it looked pretty rugged... much more so than the west or east summits... Based on the summit register, the west summit doesn't get much activity... we were the first to sign the register this year... and I bet that the middle Brother gets much less activity than the west summit... We did note that JimK had signed the register in 2003 and 2004...

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed May 23, 2007 3:13 pm 
So little Navaho is the 6000' highpoint S of the pass and NNE of the off trail ascent. I never knew that. Looked awesome though. Thanks for filling in some details.

Living in the Anthropocene
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostWed May 23, 2007 3:17 pm 
I'm pretty sure that Little Navaho is Point 6442... just south of the 6000' pass... also, the best look I've had of middle Brother is from Miller Peak... Point 6460

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostWed May 23, 2007 7:36 pm 
West Brother
R/R - you're correct about Little Navaho. An easy run-up from the 6000' saddle - worth it. (even a decent glissade back down!) We camped at the saddle - windy little spot!!! s.d.

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostWed May 23, 2007 10:24 pm 
R&R, You guys had some very nice clouds in your photos! I'm jealous smile.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Gil

Gil
PostWed May 23, 2007 11:42 pm 
really nice photos, guys! loved annapurna

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini