Forum Index > Trip Reports > Myrtle lake (near Mt Higgins) 5-28-07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue May 29, 2007 4:42 pm 
Yetiman came over to my house at 7:30 Monday morning with Lizzie the Gentle Beast (a really big dog), and they and Daisy the Wonder Dog and I all piled into my ancient Subaru, and we were off to the trailhead. We started hiking at 9:30. The drive in is nice and short, just a few miles from Highway 530. There is logging going on part way up the road, so be careful and be prepared for logging trucks. No problems with the road itself. We expected decent weather, but it was very cloudy and foggy. I dislike that clammy feeling from hiking in dense fog with no breeze. I took my time going up, so Yetiman and the dogs had to be patient, but we got up eventually. Snow starts suddenly on the trail, from nothing to three feet deep all at once. It is firm and good for walking with only the occasional post-hole. The snow starts about halfway between the two crossings of Dick creek. Both crossings were a piece of cake, the first an easy rock-hop, the second an easy jump between grassy banks. The trail to Mt Higgins appeared well-traveled enough to follow easily, but we turned off for Myrtle lake due to the dense fog making views from Higgins non-existent. The trail to Myrtle is itself almost non-existent, just the faintest track between the berry bushes. It is however decently marked with orange tape at appropriate intervals. It was easier to just stay on the snow and work down towards the lake by dead reckoning. The lake is all melted out, as is the shoreline. It was nicely scenic, and deserted except for one fisherman doing some half-hearted fly fishing. There was an amazing quantity and variety of birds doing their callings and hammerings up there. The sun made a few attempts at coming through the clouds, but new fog and clouds would always roll in and snuff out the attempt. We did some picnicking, and some exploring, and some resting from the 2,200 ft of gain to the high point on the trail, drank a few choice beverages cooled in nearby snow, and just generally enjoyed the afternoon. At 4 pm we gave up any hopes of summiting Higgins, and we headed back. We took the long way, exploring the meadows and ponds on the opposite side of the Higgins trail, then scooted back down the trail. Once we got out of the woods into the clearcut section, the clouds and fog all disappeared, so we sat for a while and took in the view of the S Fk Stilly valley below us. We made it back to the car at 6:30, for a very nice 9 hours in the woods. The only bugs we encountered were at the trailhead after the hike. Trip stats: approximately 7.5 miles R/T and 2,400 ft of gain.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostWed May 30, 2007 11:39 am 
Slug Man didja get a shot of the lake, I need new wall paper. Any fish jumping ?

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
greg

greg
PostWed May 30, 2007 11:49 am 
Actually the view was of the North Fork Stilly wasn't it?

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu May 31, 2007 2:59 am 
Jimbo, I only took a few pics due to the fog, haven't downloaded them yet, sorry. Lots of fish jumping. Greg, just testing to see if anyone was paying attention. wink.gif Yes, it was the N Fk Stilly.