Forum Index > The Trading Post > For Sale: Stephenson 2R Tent
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSun May 27, 2007 1:54 am 
I really need to join "gearaholics anonymous" as I bought this tent on Ebay in October with 7 nights on it, right after I ordered a custom tent which I have now received crazy.gif What can I say, it was a Stephenson and I wanted to try it.... I used it once this Thursday just for the heck of it, but I really have no use for it now. This is the Stephenson Warmlite 2R with Side Windows. Retails for $543 (less 10% special they have right now). Asking $295, includes tent, poles, instructions (no stakes.) Contact me via PM or email. Tent in action this weekend:
Stephenson2R
Stephenson2R
Tent has one repair from previous owner - here is his description: "Item Specifics - Item Condition Condition: Used
2RWindows
2RWindows
I bought this tent a year ago and used it for one trip in Alaska of about 7 days. It is in excellent condition and has been keep dry in a dark closet. There are no holes in the floor and it looks virtually brand new. The tent has side windows. It does not have the option for a third pole. I keep my gear in immaculate condition and am very careful with it in the field and this tent is no exception. The tent has had two repairs which I shall explain. I flew to the USA to pick up the tent from a friend for an Alaskan hike last year. On setting it up I noticed two small globs of what looked like silicone sealant on the fly over the window. Normally, I would send back a tent in this condition but I had no choice as I had to use it in a few days time. Instead, I tried to remove the silicone with a bit of mineral sprits. I succeed and in the process I removed the water proof coating over a small area of the fly. As you can imagine, I was furious. I sealed the area with a small patch that came with the tent and coated it well with silicone sealant to ensure it would be waterproof. I have tested the water proofness of both spots before selling the tent by filling the fly with water and suspending the repaired area over a glass as you can see in the photos. There was no leakage. So other than two small repairs, this tent is in perfect condition. The tent does not come with pegs. Also, there is a missing “bag” that is meant to be used to keep the windows open. You can see this in one of the photos as well. I found these bags totally useless but am trying to be clear about what you are getting. The tent comes with its instructions. I seam sealed the tent as required and got no leakage in Alaska where we did have some rain. If I was to use it again, I would probably seam seal it again just to be 110% certain even though I did a pretty good job the first time. As they say with these tents, you either love them, hate them or can’t afford them. I had a pretty emotional experience with this tent but must say it is the tightest pitching tunnel tent I have ever seen. It also incredibly light. I am selling the tent because I am a confirmed gear junkie and like to try all the latest lightweight gear. Prior to selling this tent I have sold a Bibler, a Nallo 3 and an Integral Designs MKIII in eVENT amongst others. You can read more about the tent here http://www.warmlite.com/tents_In.htm Question & Answer Q: Is this the 2X or 2R - i.e. single wall or double wall version. TIA... Oct-21-06 A: This is the 2R Q: Hi, This is the short model? I'm 6foot 4inches . Will I fit? Thanks, Chris Oct-19-06 A: This is not the new short model you can see here http://www.warmlite.com/start.htm. The tent dinmensions are as per http://www.warmlite.com/tentinfo.htm...more Q: What is the actual complete weight? Oct-19-06 A: The weight of the tent, poles and stuff bag is 1430 grams on my electronic kitchen scales which I beleive is 50.44 ounces Q: Hi, Was this tent new when purchased by you? If not, could you please estimate its age? Thanks, Kurt Oct-17-06 A: Yes, it was new and it was purchased in July 2005"

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
TeeJay
Sofa King

TeeJay
Sofa King
PostSun May 27, 2007 7:55 am 
What new custom tent did you get? Fellow gear heads want to know smile.gif

It is not in the nature of politics that the best men should be elected. The best men do not want to govern their fellowmen. -- George MacDonald
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSun May 27, 2007 7:59 am 
Jonathan @ Moonbow Gear did this one for me: (Quite a bit smaller than the Stephenson)
Moonbow Tent and rock wind screen
Moonbow Tent and rock wind screen

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostSun May 27, 2007 10:52 am 
Enclosed is a tent comparison I posted on Backpacking Lightweight between the Stephenson 2R and the Hilleberg Unna. I recently took my new Hilleberg Unna spring snow camping on a short overnight to Pratt Mountain in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness 4/14/07 – 4/15/07, and then as a comparison took my Stephenson 2R on an overnight to Navaho Pass/Navaho Peak 4/26/07 – 4/27/07, across from the Stuart Range in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness located in Washington State. The summit on Pratt is 5,099 and I camped on a ridge at approximately 4,600 feet. Temperature was middle to low twenties, mild winds, snow depth four to five feet, and it snowed four inches during the night. Summit of Navaho Peak is 7,223 feet and I camped at Navaho Pass at 6,000 feet. Temperature was middle twenties to lower/middle thirties, winds up to 30 MPH at pass, and occasional light blowing snow. Snow depth varied from bare ground to three feet at pass. Weight: (without stakes and ground sheet) Unna 4lbs 1oz (27 square feet) 2R 3lbs 2 ˝ oz (42 square feet) The 2R requires three snow stakes, I use SMC TAanchors at one ounce each, that allows the necessary hold to stretch and tighten the tent with up to 60 pounds of pull through the front tension system if necessary in the worst weather. (Two additional side stakes can be used if a hard side wind hits.)The Unna requires up to 10 stakes to withstand worst weather and it takes time to pitch them out and to dig them all out in the snow. Ease of set up: Unna requires threading poles through sleeves and some going back and forth between both ends of the tent when there are sticking points especially at the cross over point at the center of the tent. Once poles are threaded into the closed ends tents goes up quickly. The 2R goes up and is taken down much faster than the Unna and the 2R was very easy to set up and take down in gusty winds at the pass. (Spraying silicone on 2R poles prior to the trip as recommended by the Stephenson’s allows poles to easily connect and glide through the sleeves.) It has been stated that Stephenson tents have to be pitched perfectly, they need to be correctly pitched. The biggest mistake I feel that is being made is the tent is not being sufficiently stretched with the tension adjusters fully extended before being staked. Think of it as giving a slinky a really good stretch over a ten second period building up to a twenty pound plus pull. The other issue is having good stakes to handle the tension systems. No tent is perfect and there are a lot of reasons not to have a Stephenson tent, but they do not include being floppy in the wind and slowing collapsing during the course of the night, these results happen because of mistakes in pitching and are not a deficiency in the tent. Transport: The 2R pole sections are one inch shorter than the Unna’s and the overall packed dimensions of the 2R are much less. The 2R just takes up less room in you pack, weighs less, and requires that you carry less stakes. Comments that have been made that Stephenson poles are like water pipes really miss the point here. Wild Cards: So what does the Unna do well? The Unna provided an excellent cold weather environment in which I experienced zero condensation. The Unna comfortably held me and all my gear (inside) and at just under six feet tall I had plenty of head room to sit up. The Unna is a luxury one person tent but I wonder about its’ summer application do to the limited venting options for hot weather or perhaps the interior fabric is more breathable that I suspect, however for early spring, fall, or winter it appears the Unna would do well. The 2R appears to be a more versatile 4 season tent with side widows for summer weather and wins with ease of set up, less weight, more square footage, (will more easily hold two people) and less pack volume. Be that as it may, the 2R runs cooler in the winter because of its’ single wall ends and despite its’ 42 square feet, the Unna makes up for that a bit by utilizing its’ interior space better including better head room which for the 2R is located under the front pole. Condensation can be an issue for the 2R because it does not have the interior volume and one less vent than the 3R. I did experience minor condensation during my trip with the 2R on the single wall ends when I awoke that quickly evaporated in the morning. Another wild card is the Unna’s Kelron fly fabric that is more sun resistant than the coated parachute fabric of the 2R which is why the Stephenson’s preach taking their tents down during the day or finding covered/partly covered campsites. Final Thoughts: These are two totally different tents and I’m glad I have both. The 2R sheds the wind and snow and has excelled in early spring snow camping in windy mountain environments. Our 3R has performed very well as our 2R also would have, just wanted more interior room, in high alpine summer/fall environments. The Unna is a superb one person environment that I will definitely use for winter trips. I have only used the Unna once and will continue to take it out on trips throughout the year to see how it performs. PS: I have found our Stephenson 2R and 3R to be fantastic alpine and spring snow tents and with the the addition of the third middle pole our 3R will do very well during heavier winter snow loads. Any way getting off course here, the side windows on Stephenson tents are really not designed to be staked out, that is what the sacks are for so they can move with the wind and take stress off the side zippers.
Stephenston 2R at Navaho Pass 4/27/07
Stephenston 2R at Navaho Pass 4/27/07
Stephenson 2R at Navaho Pass 4/27/07
Stephenson 2R at Navaho Pass 4/27/07

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSun May 27, 2007 3:50 pm 
Thank you Slide Alder Slayer for that great review (hey, is that the best moniker or what.) I have to confess I packed up the tent Thursday before reading the instructions, and thought those odd little bags (for the side windows) were for snow camping and removed them embarassedlaugh.gif There are 4 of them, plus 2 patches of material for repairs, included. Not sure why the original owner said one was missing. For the record, I paid $380 on Ebay for this tent. Will be putting it up on Ebay Tuesday.

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostMon May 28, 2007 1:43 pm 
It's sooooo tempting!

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostMon May 28, 2007 4:00 pm 
Resist Hiker Boy... Don't come over to the "dark side" unless you really need to clown.gif