Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Kennedy Hot Springs
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostWed Nov 05, 2014 11:40 am 
Kennedy Hot Springs would truly be a historical place if this man (below) had anything to do with it's making or even visiting there when he worked in Washington. He was one of the original rangers hand picked by Mr. Gifford Pinchot from Yale School of Forestry, and the boss of Ed Pulaski in Wallace, Idaho. Ranger William Weigle also helped to build the Mountain Loop Highway. http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5271054.pdf

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chico

Chico
PostWed Nov 05, 2014 12:05 pm 
Snowbrushy wrote:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5271054.pdf
Kind of leaves the reader hanging. "Later he became involved in the creation of Washington’s state park system. " The end!

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostWed Nov 12, 2014 1:00 pm 
The cabin at Kennedy was destroyed also. Harvey Manning in 101 Hikes called the cabin at Kennedy a, "Guard Station." This is what Wikipedia say's about Guard Stations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_Service_Guard_Station

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Nov 12, 2014 1:04 pm 
FWIW: The times I visited Kennedy in the '60s and '70s the Guard Station was either locked up or had an ranger stationed there.

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostThu Nov 13, 2014 11:22 am 
I can see all sorts of reasons for not rebuilding the trail and hotsprings. As a frequent visitor back in the 70s and 80s, it wasn`t perfect, but made for a great place especially this time of year to hang out outdoors and enjoy nature and the stars. It was amazingly popular as well and would likely attract lots of visitors if it were reestablished. Green bonding is always good, IMO and getting people out there in this way would be a great entryway into the GPW. Plus, I would love to soak in there again smile.gif

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Nov 13, 2014 12:17 pm 
If the trail were to be rebuilt -- this might be a route that would be more resistant to getting washed away by the next flood than the original route
View larger size in new window

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Nov 13, 2014 1:16 pm 
cascadetraverser wrote:
It was amazingly popular as well and would likely attract lots of visitors if it were reestablished.
I’m not so sure that would be the case. The closest trailhead would be Meadow Mtn near Rat Trap Pass or the Lost Creek Ridge trail.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostThu Nov 13, 2014 1:26 pm 
Kim: You may be right if those are the trailheads. If the Whitechuck river trail or some version thereof (Randy`s idea looks cool) were in place I do think alot of people would go up there. Hordes of people used to go up there and I suspect it was the most popular trail/destination in the Glacier Peak Wilderness (maybe Image lake outdid it...) at the time. No numbers to back that up, though. I am obviously not as informed or in the know about what if or whether its really worth it, as you are, but just thought I would through out my layman hikers opinion. I have to say I miss that place and suspect alot of other folks do too.....

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Nov 13, 2014 5:11 pm 
If the trail were to be rebuilt -- this might be a route that would be more resistant to getting washed away by the next flood than the original route RH that is very close to the trail in the 60-70s I folloed the route in 2003 before the floods and it was still there but very brushy. That is how it is described in R&R and the original 100Hikes. It had a fairly steep climb at the start to the top of the Whitechuck Fill.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Nov 13, 2014 5:46 pm 
They flagged the proposed new route in the giddy couple of years after the 2003 floods when everyone thought it was possible. It is the abandoned Glacier View trail that shoots off a switchback from the Fire Creek trail. The road will never be repaired beyond its terminus with the Rat Trap Pass road, so getting to Kennedy will never be the easy trek that made it hoard-worthy. But….there’s no Kennedy Hot Springs anymore and that would not be the draw. The USFS will not re-build the springs (it’s in wilderness) It think this conversation comes up at least twice a year. embarassedlaugh.gif But that's alright - the place is loved.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostFri Nov 14, 2014 12:11 am 
Kim: Yes, I guess you are right! Thanks for putting up with us late to the party hikers...... An organic approach is the right one for this amazing place with all its memories.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Nov 14, 2014 11:14 am 
And future memories. up.gif It’s a wonderful place, and the upper campground can (and probably will) be repaired in time, and the trail from there to Lake Byrne spiffed up. So though I don’t know that the number of visitors per year will rise to the level as in past years, it is still a nice destination.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Nov 14, 2014 11:37 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
The USFS will not re-build the springs (it’s in wilderness)
You should know, however.. They do maintenance on many things why not the springs? What exactly does the Wilderness Act say? Thanks.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Nov 14, 2014 12:52 pm 
There are no springs to maintain. The hot springs tub was developed by humans before the wilderness act. They were inherited and were maintained. Now that the developed hole has been wiped out, the place is natural, and the USFS will not dig a hole and build platforms for soaking. The Wilderness Act discusses the "wilderness character" of the land within designated wilderness, and subsequent policies/law have further defined "wilderness character." It is so doubtful that the development of a soaking pool would pass the “wilderness character” test that the USFS wouldn’t even attempt it. Land managers are sued on a regular basis by people claiming historical development or structures have no place in wilderness, they’d be absolutely insane to develop something new. Even if they were insane enough to try, it would not pass the environmental review sniff-test.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Nov 14, 2014 2:31 pm 
I am really not trying to be argumentative but there is a hot spring pool at Gamma Hot Spring which I believe is "maintained" by arranging the rocks, and that is what I'm asking about. I'm talking about removing rock from a hole in the ground and nothing more. Do they maintain cold springs in Washingtons Wenaha-Tucannon Wilderness for people and stock drinking purposes? One pipe? A spring is a spring. Just asking.