Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mason Lake 5/30/07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostWed May 30, 2007 5:30 pm 
Based on the last report from Mason Lake, the Ira Springs Trail stuck in my head as an interesting spot for my first real hike of the year. As the hike with my husband over the weekend (Wilderness Peak - Cougar Mountain) wasn't going to be that long, I had to wait. So this one was in honor of the gorgeous weather on Tuesday. It was also the first time my new car went up a real gravel/dirt road! Yay! It was a bit steeper of a climb than I realized at first - or perhaps I'm just out of shape from nothing but skiing over winter? And with not getting to the trailhead until 5pm, light was a factor! I almost didn't get to see the lake, as my watch was marked for the turn-around, so as not to be hiking in darkness, but clambering over the snow under the trees, I said "trail, you're gonna take me to a lake in the next 10 minutes". Eight minutes later, I was at the lake!
IMG_5008.JPG
IMG_5008.JPG
IMG_5025.JPG
IMG_5025.JPG
IMG_5033.JPG
IMG_5033.JPG
IMG_5048.JPG
IMG_5048.JPG
IMG_5066.JPG
IMG_5066.JPG
IMG_5059.JPG
IMG_5059.JPG
The lake? Almost no ice on it. One little ice island; that's it. Unfortunately, my new boots don't like my bunions, and minor surgery on the massive burst blisters was required, preventing additional hiking today. frown.gif *shakes finger at feet*

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostWed May 30, 2007 6:42 pm 
You rock! Start at 5 pm?! Whew! I am a slow poke, indeed. And, I like the trail up to the ridge and the lake, though it is often considered a minor destination of less than vital quality. Somehow, I find Mason a relaxing place; my dogs love it! Oh....I think the new trail grade is steep, too. At least the first 1/4 mile of it.

nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostWed May 30, 2007 7:18 pm 
Maybe it was the adrenaline rush from nearly running into someone on the drive in? wink.gif (We both missed seeing each other on a not-so-good-visibility turn. Whew!)