Forum Index > Trail Talk > Carry a Little Saw
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rossb

rossb
PostThu May 31, 2007 4:29 pm 
This time of year, I like to carry a little saw and do a little trail maintenance as I hike. I bought a nice little one at Fred Meyer that folds and weighs about 4 ounces. I can't cut a big tree, but I can remove all the limbs, so climbing over it is much easier. It even works for brushy stuff, although not as nice as a machete (or clippers). I thought I would mention this so others might do the same.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostThu May 31, 2007 4:46 pm 
Absolute agreement here. I carry a very very sharp Barnel folding saw. It weighs almost nothing and can swish through small-medium deadfalls quickly.

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostThu May 31, 2007 5:33 pm 
Sounds like a good idea. I tried carrying a machete a few times, but never found it much use. It couldn't cut the tough stuff (like your saw could) and for the softer stuff, I found a big stick more effective.

treasureblue
Distant Cousin

treasureblue
Distant Cousin
PostThu May 31, 2007 6:43 pm 
Good idea. One of my hiking companions would have appreciated the removal of the sharp limb that tore out the backside of her pants as she climbed over a downed tree on a recent hike eek.gif Duct tape to the rescue once again! up.gif

"Me thinks that the moment my legs begin to move, my thoughts begin to flow." ~Henry David Thoreau.
touron

touron
PostThu May 31, 2007 6:58 pm 
With apologies to Dionne Warwick I Carry a Little Saw with Me The moment I wake up Before the 10 essentials I take up I carry a little saw with me While checking my GPS now And wondering which way is West now I'm carrying a little saw with me Forever, and ever, you'll stay in my pack and I will use you Forever, and ever, we never will part I won't lose you Together, forever, I saw for you see To hike without you Would mean many more windfalls for me...

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Bruce

Bruce
PostThu May 31, 2007 7:43 pm 
SAWs
Perhaps one of the best may be the "fiskars" price wise .. and almost identical "corona". these are folding saws kinda like one may see on the end of a pole saw. these are pull saws...they cut when pulling and i suggest the fiskars lopers with the plastic gear for cutting of that sort Bruce

justybug
henteaser

justybug
henteaser
PostSat Jun 02, 2007 12:38 am 
i've got one of the gerber collapsible ones, i still haven't sharpened the teeth after a lot of years. granted, it's only seen light use, but it goes through limbs quick! weighs next to nothing.

kenya believe it?? "Time is so everything doesn't happen at once. Space is so everything doesn't happen to you."
Tazz

Tazz
PostSat Jun 02, 2007 11:28 am 
I would never make it to the summit if I cut all the little dead falls out of the way. Sorry too much weight too.... tongue.gif wink.gif thanks to all of you with the time and saw to do it though! lol.gif winksmile.gif

Mikey

Mikey
PostSun Jun 03, 2007 9:08 am 
I carry saws of various sizes to cut limbs and trees that have fallen across the trails which I frequent. I have a 4 ft crosscut saw (designed to cut the tops off of spar trees) which I found in the bottom of a river and it sure will cut through a larger tree (I received some strange looks from hikers when I was carrying that large saw up the PCT trail north of I-90 to cut out some larger trees early in the season). Also I often carry one of thoses pruner or trimmers to cut out those annoying plants that can quicly grow out into a trail. Maybe this is merely my "excuse" to slow down or stop and rest on a steeper trail.