Forum Index > Trip Reports > Camp Muir 6-2-07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
swbkrun

swbkrun
PostSun Jun 03, 2007 10:07 pm 
Two words for Saturday: AFRICA HOT- It was so so warm out today. There was not enough sunblock in the world that would have prevented me from getting burned. My forearms were burned the worst (they don't see much sun normally!). We left Paradise around 8:40 am and hit the start of the trail (snow!). If you have never done a hike to Muir the trail is super easy to follow. Follow the little wands in the ground (or better yet GO STRAIGHT UP HILL!). As you hike up the hill you turn around and the fews are SPECTACULAR- Adams, Mount St. Helens (a little hazy today) along w/ a million other peaks looking so tiny compared to the mass right in front of your face.
Camp Muir 6-2-07 007
Camp Muir 6-2-07 007
Camp Muir 6-2-07 002
Camp Muir 6-2-07 002
Camp Muir 6-2-07 009
Camp Muir 6-2-07 009
Camp Muir 6-2-07 012
Camp Muir 6-2-07 012
Camp Muir 6-2-07 003
Camp Muir 6-2-07 003
Camp Muir 6-2-07 039
Camp Muir 6-2-07 039
Camp Muir 6-2-07 045
Camp Muir 6-2-07 045
Camp Muir 6-2-07 044
Camp Muir 6-2-07 044
Camp Muir 6-2-07 038
Camp Muir 6-2-07 038
There was a group of 4 of us, and 2 of us reached Camp Muir around noon w/ the other 2 25-30 minutes behind. We stayed up there for a while (it did get cold/windy, and crowded QUICKLY), then prepared for a fun trip down!
Camp Muir 6-2-07 057
Camp Muir 6-2-07 057
Camp Muir 6-2-07 055
Camp Muir 6-2-07 055
After a little drive out we stopped in Ashford for a COUPLE COLD ONES! Chased down w/ a ton of water. Home in time for Dinner w/ the wife, and a nice long shower w/ an Aloe bath (for the sunburn!). I recommend this hike for everyone! It is gorgeous. STATS: 9.3 Miles Roundtrip 4897 Elevation Gain 10200 High Point 160- Average HR 113 (Low) 179 (High) 5:10- Total Hike Time

2.4 Miles of Hope, 112 of Work, and 26.2 Miles of Truth www.averymckenna.smugmug.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Spotly

Spotly
PostMon Jun 04, 2007 7:03 am 
Nice job. Sounds like you "coasties" got hit hard by the temps too. Travelling on that snow sure makes it feel like you're in an oven too! We'll be heading up there at the end of the month - hope the temps are a bit milder then. How's the hut look? I'd heard they renovated it. We'll be over there on a Thur and not hauling up tents so hopefully, it'll have room for us.

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostMon Jun 04, 2007 8:04 am 
Nice job. up.gif How is the knee feeling?

Knows literally nothing
swbkrun

swbkrun
PostMon Jun 04, 2007 9:06 am 
GeoTom wrote:
Nice job. up.gif How is the knee feeling?
Thanks for asking.. The knee felt pretty good. I think that having the SOFT SOFT SNOW made things easier on me. There were a couple steps where I second guessed my step, and good feel a sharp pain, but I was very pleased. WHICH MAKES IT EVEN HARDER TO HAVE SURGERY ON Wed. But I still feel like that is the SMART/WISE/RIGHT thing to do!?

2.4 Miles of Hope, 112 of Work, and 26.2 Miles of Truth www.averymckenna.smugmug.com
idahonative

idahonative
PostMon Jun 04, 2007 12:01 pm 
Ooh! Fun! We're looking to head down there this Saturday, and nice to see a recent TR. Looks like the boot track was in good shape! Also, looks like someone in your party had their snowboard -- did they successfully board down? Looks like others had some fun glissading. biggrin.gif Deciding whether or not to take the skis... Hopefully the weather cooperates! frown.gif

idahonative

idahonative
PostMon Jun 04, 2007 12:02 pm 
Sorry for the a second post here, but any overall recommendations/helpful notes on gear, route, etc.?

swbkrun

swbkrun
PostMon Jun 04, 2007 12:37 pm 
idahonative wrote:
Ooh! Fun! We're looking to head down there this Saturday, and nice to see a recent TR. Looks like the boot track was in good shape! Also, looks like someone in your party had their snowboard -- did they successfully board down? Looks like others had some fun glissading. biggrin.gif Deciding whether or not to take the skis... Hopefully the weather cooperates! frown.gif
It seemed like 70% of the people up there had ski's or snowboards...

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostMon Jun 04, 2007 6:07 pm 
You managed to snap a picture of me. My partner and I were the people that you saw near the rocks in photo #3. You can see the top of Rich's wands near the rocks if you look closely. I vetured up to 7,500 ft on the Nisqually on Saturday and Sunday for some crevasse rescue practice. Like you, my forearms are singed despite boatloads of sun-block. Africa hot about describes it. Nice TR up.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Jun 04, 2007 6:41 pm 
up.gif up.gif Nice TR and pics. I'd like to get up there at some point. I am trying to repair tissue myself even after lathering up with spf 50 all day. Fair skinned redheads burn easy. flammable.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Jun 04, 2007 9:04 pm 
Worst burn I ever had was on the muir snowfield. 2nd degree crispy brown patches on my temples, cheeks, and under my bottom lip. 5:10 from Paradise to Muir?

Ruhkr2

Ruhkr2
PostTue Jun 05, 2007 1:01 am 
Great pics! Just curious, did you have to pay an extra fee for climbing up to camp Muir? I have heard if you hike past 10,000 feet on the mountain that you have to pay an extra fee????

smile.gif
swbkrun

swbkrun
PostTue Jun 05, 2007 8:14 am 
Magellan wrote:
Worst burn I ever had was on the muir snowfield. 2nd degree crispy brown patches on my temples, cheeks, and under my bottom lip. 5:10 from Paradise to Muir?
I just had a blister form on my cheek yesterday! UGH! Crispy crunchy. Trip up: 3:20 Trip down: 1:50 Is this good or bad? That was my 1st time. Felt like I pushed it pretty hard on the way up. The way down was slip, slide, stagger, etc. in the sloshy snow.

swbkrun

swbkrun
PostTue Jun 05, 2007 8:20 am 
Ruhkr2 wrote:
Great pics! Just curious, did you have to pay an extra fee for climbing up to camp Muir? I have heard if you hike past 10,000 feet on the mountain that you have to pay an extra fee????
NO EXTRA FEE'S FOR CLIMBING TO MUIR.

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostTue Jun 05, 2007 8:28 am 
swbkrun wrote:
Magellan wrote:
I just had a blister form on my cheek yesterday! UGH! Crispy crunchy. Trip up: 3:20 Trip down: 1:50 Is this good or bad? That was my 1st time. Felt like I pushed it pretty hard on the way up. The way down was slip, slide, stagger, etc. in the sloshy snow.
swbkrun, For many people it takes 5:10 to GET to Muir. Your time is pretty dang fast, especially considering the gain in altitude. smile.gif

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Ruhkr2

Ruhkr2
PostTue Jun 05, 2007 1:18 pm 
I now see where the confusion was, permit is what you need above 10,000 feet not an extra fee!!! I am a dork! rolleyes.gif Thank you sooo much for the informative link!! smile.gif

smile.gif