Forum Index > Trip Reports > Blue monday & Diamond Peak
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostTue Jun 05, 2007 6:58 am 
I was going absolutely insane in my house...I turned down a hike with the lovely Yet and the beautiful Ree and it left me feeling like I made the wrong decision..I needed my mountain fix bad. I decided I needed some east washinton love so I packed up ship and took my beasts of burden to the Blues for the day. The drive there is incredible..I love farm land and all its neat shapes in the fields...I got a treat for about 20 miles on highway 12 between Dayton and Pomeroy.. the fields were covered in purple flowers..what a sight. Since Diamond peak is soooo easy its not funny, I planned to just hike around the ridges and wildflower meadows all day..and thats exactly what I did. The road there was blocked by falling trees, but some guys came by while I was on trail and cut it up. I had to hike 2 miles to the trail head.. no biggie. While at my car I got a special treat.. I was visited by a humming bird.. I thought it was a huge bug at first.. then it stopped to look at itself in my car mirror..I wish I had the camera out...it was really really cool. The trail is divine (Mt. Misery trail)..secluded..lots of animals, but my dogs werent allowing me to see them...lots of fresh bear scat on the trail. I had a 10 mile very relaxing day..even did some bushwhacking. eat your heart out west siders wink.gif
Feild of purple
Feild of purple
Feild of purple
Feild of purple
Feild of purple
Feild of purple
Feild of purple
Feild of purple
What flower is this?
What flower is this?
just a trail sign..big whoo
just a trail sign..big whoo
Diamond peak
Diamond peak
Is this the register?
Is this the register?
Room with a view
Room with a view
More views
More views
Lonley tree
Lonley tree
Spiderman was here
Spiderman was here
Arent I gorgeous?
Arent I gorgeous?

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Jun 05, 2007 7:02 am 
ActionBetty wrote:
I was going absolutely insane in my house...I turned down a hike with the lovely Yet and the beautiful Ree and it left me feeling like I made the wrong decision..I needed my mountain fix bad.
If this wasn't true, we would call you NoActionBetty. The purple fields are gorgeous, and Mr Big looks happy in his element.

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostTue Jun 05, 2007 8:10 am 
That was Ms. Poo... Mr.big was not being very photogenic that day. Those two love to go hiking, they think they are going today too.. damn spoiled babies wink.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Jun 05, 2007 8:41 am 
Nice pics Ab. up.gif I was thinking it's June and around time for the annual backpacking slog. Hannah will be out of school soon. agree.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Yet

Yet
PostTue Jun 05, 2007 8:44 am 
I love the purples...beautiful! Know what it reminds me of? Taro Bubble Tea. Good gawd, it's making me hungry! Glad you got some action, even if it wasn't with me. wink.gif (And yes, Ms. Poo. You are absolutely, positively, inimitably gorgeous!)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostTue Jun 05, 2007 9:28 am 
Nice trip and report. I did Diamond a couple years back and those roads leading up there are pret-tee lonely during the week. That is a nice hike up to the antenna structure and it was nice to enjoy the views. Nice pics. Lots of good stuff in our local area. up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostTue Jun 05, 2007 9:54 am 
ActionBetty wrote:
even did some bushwhacking. eat your heart out west siders
We're supposed to be jealous about bushwhacking on the east side? You know the bushwhacking is far superior west of the crest. ;-) Glad you got out, AB!

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Tazz

Tazz
PostTue Jun 05, 2007 10:09 am 
Bushwhacking!! did some one say bushwhacking!? chickenleg.gif I love bushwhacking!!! biggrin.gif I will show ya some bushwhacking my dear AB! Then you have go out and search for some good stuff over there so we can all compare. Now don't go and get lost on us though!!! ykm.gif winksmile.gif You are doing well with you compositions in the purple flowers shots girl...good work!! West vrs east side bushwhacking competition begins now!!! See thread in TT...

Mount Logan
Canada's Highest

Mount Logan
Canada's Highest
PostTue Jun 05, 2007 10:28 am 
Oooh, purple! up.gif

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostTue Jun 05, 2007 10:32 am 
Quote:
We're supposed to be jealous about bushwhacking on the east side? You know the bushwhacking is far superior west of the crest. ;-)
Naw. The less bush, the better the whacking. Hmmm, that didn't come out right. wink.gif Anyway, the lesser the bushwhack, the better the bushwhack. Therefore East side bushwhackin, with lesser brush creams West side bushwhacking. I guess we can credit ActionBetty with a COHP!

marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostTue Jun 05, 2007 12:51 pm 
The blue fields are gorgeous. I love your report. I wonder what flower it was. I saw some similar fields in Australia. They had planted a lupine for cattle feed or 'green' fertilizer. I wonder if this is the same - planted as a crop instead of wild? The mystery flower is Big Head Clover - Trifolium macrocephalum. I saw a lot of it up in L.T. Murray two weeks ago.

ree

ree
PostTue Jun 05, 2007 12:59 pm 
up.gif up.gif up.gif Wow! Amazing fields of flowers!!! Sorry you couldn't join us! It was lovely up the Teanaway. Are the Blues those mountains in NE Oregon?

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Jun 05, 2007 1:33 pm 
Love the drive around Dayton. Was this in the Tucannon River area, or out of Dayton, toward the ski area? Looks like a beautiful place; the Dayton trails were still under snow when I was there last year, so went to the Tucannon River area instead. You're very lucky to live near such a beautiful range of mountains.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostTue Jun 05, 2007 3:41 pm 
Diamond Peak is part of the long E-W ridge that runs parallels to the WA/OR border about 10 miles north of the border. Diamond is toward the E end by Mt. Misery. The Mt. Misery trail traverses this at about 6000' feet for maybe 20 miles from Misery to Oregon Butte. A lot of the people, like Dean and myself who have been up there have visited because it is the highest point [more or less] in Garfield County WA. But it also has good open views and purty flowers in season.

E's Mom

E's Mom
PostTue Jun 05, 2007 3:45 pm 
Great report and nice photos! Were the purple flowers lupine? Hey- I'll take the east side over the west anyday! wink.gif

"I will lift my eyes to the hills. From whence does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth." Psalm 121:1