Forum Index > Trip Reports > Chatter Creek with Grindstone attempt 6/2
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Aligeo

Aligeo
PostSun Jun 03, 2007 3:21 pm 
Attempted Grindstone yesterday. It was hot. cool.gif I was not acclimatized to the heat. We made it to about 6000' and turned around at a point where the snow angle was steep and the run out was bad. The heat had sapped my brain function. I did not trust my ability to self arrest. down.gif It was hard to give up the summit as snow conditions were perfect. This is one scramble I was hoping to do with the talus fields covered in snow. Maybe next year as the snow is melting out fast! We passed one other hiker on the trail.
Creek crossings were easy even with the major snow melt.
Creek crossings were easy even with the major snow melt.
Looking up toward the pass.  Route looked nice.
Looking up toward the pass. Route looked nice.
Fantastic Views
Fantastic Views
Great Trail
Great Trail
Not sure what this flower is
Not sure what this flower is
It was still great to get out into the hills. Terrific scenery with lots of exercise and good company. smile.gif

And the end of all our searching shall be to return to the place where we started and know it for the first time. - T.S. Eliot
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Coasty
I like Salmon!

Coasty
I like Salmon!
PostSun Jun 03, 2007 3:42 pm 
I understand about turning around. Type E and I had to turn around before the ridge because of the heat and avalanches. The creek crossings look much easier now! Jason B

http://www.BackpackGearTest.org The Most Comprehensive Interactive Gear Reviews and Tests on the Planet!
marionthegoat
That's a trail ??

marionthegoat
That's a trail ??
PostTue Jun 05, 2007 7:00 pm 
I've felt Grindstone's pull too, but every time I've been there I'm with non-climbing friends or family. Seems like every time I've gone, Chatter Creek Trail kicks my hiney. The lower section's almost always hot and steep, and the climb to the pass manages to sap remaining energy. I went once with a friend, we car camped near the trailhead in 90 degree heat. We dayhiked up to lake Edna, once we crossed the pass we entered a snow blizzard which wouldn't quit. It dumped about half an inch on us. Back over the pass, we popped back into the blue. It was hotter than ever when we got back to camp, feeling baked, frozen, and flogged. This was in mid-August.

The world is not round
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Jun 05, 2007 7:20 pm 
did you see a trail crew on the trail? I'm supposed to be there right now, working, but had to cancel so I could stick around and not answer the phone when it doesn't ring with job offers. huh.gif I had to bail on Grindstone due to heat also. I retreated back to Chatter Creek to barf and sleep it off while my freinds summited.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
JimK

JimK
PostTue Jun 05, 2007 7:23 pm 
Fun scramble. This is from 6-4-05, almost exactly two years ago.
On The Rocks
On The Rocks
Just Below Summit
Just Below Summit

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Jun 05, 2007 8:26 pm 
Hey, some more shots to cheer you up... winksmile.gif
Ridgeline, gulley, and summit of Grindstone
Ridgeline, gulley, and summit of Grindstone
JeffR, Tazz, and Wildernessed on summit 6-18-05
JeffR, Tazz, and Wildernessed on summit 6-18-05

Living in the Anthropocene
Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostTue Jun 05, 2007 8:45 pm 
The first part of the Chatter Creek trail is probably our least favorite in all the years we've been hiking. YUCK!! We keep coming back, though. shakehead.gif We were camped at Lake Edna after doing a backpack of the Ladies and were awoken by cheering and shouting. We investigated what the commotion was, and discovered two ladies, who had RAN up the entire trail, arrived at the lake, cheered, and continued on RUNNING. WTF???!!! After packing up camp, we hiked down the trail to our car, arriving in the early afternoon. As we were driving away, here came the ladies running down the road, having completed the loop out the Icicle Creek trailhead!!! What were they on and can we get some? Great pictures - Grindstone looks like a lot of fun. Definitely has made it onto our list now.

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season
Damian

Damian
PostTue Jun 05, 2007 8:52 pm 
Chatter/Grindstone is always about 300 degrees. Even in the dead of winter.

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostTue Jun 05, 2007 9:04 pm 
Sounds Hawt! BTW, If anyone is interested in climbing Grindstone from the 'other', non-chatter creek trail route, I have friday of this week available. biggrin.gif pm me.

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Type E

Type E
PostTue Jun 05, 2007 11:10 pm 
dicey wrote:
Sounds Hawt! BTW, If anyone is interested in climbing Grindstone from the 'other', non-chatter creek trail route, I have friday of this week available. biggrin.gif pm me.
What route would that be?

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Jun 05, 2007 11:53 pm 
This is what Grindstone looks like at dawn from the other side, Upper Florence Lake:
Grindstone-at-Dawn
Grindstone-at-Dawn
Pretty mountain. Not warm that time of day either. That was probably the last time I was awake at that hour by my own volition.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Aligeo

Aligeo
PostWed Jun 06, 2007 7:35 am 
Thanks for all the feedback. Now I do not feel so wimpy. dizzy.gif JimK...your trip report was the basis for our route. Quark...we did not see any trail workers on Saturday. In fact we only ran into one other hiker all day. The new portion of the trail is great! Dicey...I look forward to your trip report approaching from the other side. Good luck! Looks like high temperatueres will not be a concern for this coming weekend!

And the end of all our searching shall be to return to the place where we started and know it for the first time. - T.S. Eliot