Forum Index > Trail Talk > The Harts Pass road will open at 4:00 p.m. today Friday 8-17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cebs

cebs
PostTue Aug 14, 2007 11:38 am 
news from Ranger
I'm planning a hike this weekend and was going to hike up Robinson Creek to get around to Harts pass. I talked to the Ranger for any heads up on the trail and he told me to call Friday morning as the road may be clear by then. GOOD NEWS and may save me 18 miles

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Nuhights

Nuhights
PostTue Aug 14, 2007 7:17 pm 
As always, BL thanks so much for the continued updates. I know it's been a long haul but hopefully this improvement and renovation will last a while. I did a couple of trips out of HP last year and that DH Pt. was rough and tough. The FS likes to take their time posting updates, but you're like real time. Thanks a bunch again for the updates.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Aug 14, 2007 10:16 pm 
Road Apple wrote:
The Methow Valley News has included the repair update on their web page. The following is the text from the article: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Harts Pass remains closed, more damage found By Lillian Tucker The wait is not over. Just as the massive rockslide at Dead Horse Point was being cleared, an engineer for the Forest Service found another imperilment that will postpone the opening of Harts Pass Road for two or three more weeks. One mile past the slide area there is a 500-foot long crack in the fill on the downhill, left-hand side of the road. "It’s cracking and sloughing away," said Jennifer Zbyszewski, wilderness and recreational program manager with the Methow Valley Ranger District. "The danger is that the outer edge of the road could give way."
This mention of a 500 foot long crack on the outside of the road is a little bothersome. Howz that repair coming along?

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostWed Aug 15, 2007 7:07 am 
That's the part that they had completely excavated, were rebuilding and I was talking about being nearly repaired on August 12 when I went up there. The Methow Valley News is published today so there may possibly be an update from the FS published today.

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostThu Aug 16, 2007 7:21 am 
The online version of the MVN is not up yet and I do not get the print version until mid day so no news there yet. No new notice on the FS web site either. I did run up to the gate this am and saw the big excavator now parked 0.2 miles outside of the gate. They had been using it up above for rock removal and repairs farther up the road so I think that means all that is done. The gate is still locked and there are no new signs posted. The grader and road roller have not been brought out.

ArcDome

ArcDome
PostThu Aug 16, 2007 9:38 am 
I did not see any updates in this weeks Methow Valley News. I am going to check with the FS this afternoon to see if the road might open Friday.

ArcDome

ArcDome
PostThu Aug 16, 2007 3:47 pm 
I just spoke with somebody at the Winthrop FS station and he said that the road will be open Monday, August 20. If you are going over Friday, you may want to double-check that it is not opening earlier. party.gif rockband.gif banana.gif cheers.gif

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostThu Aug 16, 2007 5:25 pm 
Just found this in the online version of the MVN. Harts Pass Road to open this week
Quote:
By Lillian Tucker Soon Harts Pass will no longer be void of the drone of car motors and the humming of pickup trucks straining their way up the twisty mountain road. Depending on how the final days of repairs go, Forest Service officials hope to open Harts Pass Road and the roads to Slate Creek and Slate Peak as early as Friday (Aug 17) or Monday (Aug 20). "It will probably be something a little bit understated," said Jennifer Zbyszewski, wilderness and recreational program manager with the Methow Valley Ranger District. She suspects that as soon as the workers are done they will unlock the gate as they drive away, leaving the pass finally available for public use. "We will post it on our website when it opens. Hopefully by the next news edition, it will be yesterday’s news." It has been a long haul for those working to clear the road, with a rollercoaster ride of opening dates postponed due to what continuing discovery of further damage. First, there was the massive rockslide at Dead Horse Point, followed by several smaller and medium-sized obstructions along the roads. Then came the discovery of a 500-foot crack along the road one mile past the big slide. To reinforce the work to fix the crack, a special fabric was needed for layering between the natural materials, stabilizing the hillside by tying everything together. While the excavator and workers were waiting for the fabric to arrive, they worked clearing mudslides and repairing washed-out culverts on the road to Slate Creek.

ArcDome

ArcDome
PostFri Aug 17, 2007 2:47 pm 
From the FS web site: "The Harts Pass road will open at 4:00 p.m. today Friday 8-17-07"

Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostFri Aug 17, 2007 9:09 pm 
Yippee, we're headed that way Monday. Haven't been there before - how is the road usually for a standard passenger car (Toyota wagon)? We're not real picky about our car's finish, and take it lots of bumpy, rocky places.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostFri Aug 17, 2007 9:30 pm 
Thanks - I'll just close my eyes at DHP and everything should be fine! (Assuming Campking keeps his open.)

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
Dale

Dale
PostFri Aug 17, 2007 9:50 pm 
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/oka/recreation/mvroadsn.shtml "Chancellor 5400700 Open, Road use permit required." I assume this is the road that drops off sharply down to a dead end in a couple-three miles. Good hiking to the west to Cady Pass especially in the fall. I wonder what the sign at Hart's Pass says? Does it discourage walking down the hill or only driving? Maybe someone that goes to Harts Pass can write down exactly what the "permit required" sign says. Thanks, Dale

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostSat Aug 18, 2007 7:20 am 
Dogpatch wrote:
Yippee, we're headed that way Monday. Haven't been there before - how is the road usually for a standard passenger car (Toyota wagon)? We're not real picky about our car's finish, and take it lots of bumpy, rocky places.
The road is no problem in terms of ruts and holes. What is a problem are the sharp rocks sticking out of the roadbed in places. I saw about 10 cars being hauled out on flatbeds or by tow trucks last summer with two flat tires. The Winthrop Motors garage does a regular business bringing out cars. Go slow! I see people trying to go 35-45 mph and that is when they blow out tires. DHP is considerably safer then it was before with one long wide spot that did not exist before and they also cleared out a couple more spots and made them a bit wider. Personally, I find the last stretch before Slate Peak scarier then DHP. The gate is definitely open and I saw several cars going up last night. I would warn people that bear hunting season is open and I have seen a few hunters with rifles heading up also.

Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostSat Aug 18, 2007 9:09 am 
Slow it is, then. (Course, that's our usual speed anyway - both driving and hiking. wink.gif ) Thanks!

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostSat Aug 18, 2007 11:50 am 
There has been a slow but steady stream of cars going up all morning. There are a lot of people up there according to my neighbor who rode up on his motorcycle. The prediction is rain tonight and tomorrow which may slow the flow. Also, four big trucks with flatbed trailers went up and came back down with all the remaining road equipment so you will no longer have to meet them coming down DHP. smile.gif There will be a new ranger up at the Hart's Pass station, Dick Roberts. He owned and ran the North Cascades Base Camp for about 30 years until he sold it last year. He is very competent and a nice guy. I guess he must have gotten bored with retirement. smile.gif