Forum Index > Trail Talk > The Harts Pass road will open at 4:00 p.m. today Friday 8-17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue Jul 10, 2007 12:53 pm 
Thank You! up.gif

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
marionthegoat
That's a trail ??

marionthegoat
That's a trail ??
PostTue Jul 10, 2007 2:01 pm 
It is a bit frustrating when you can't get to your favorite trails in your backyard for years on end. As the roads go, so do the trails beyond also. It is a bit odd that the rather large population of lower Puget Sound doesn't present the same level of demand pressure on the Mountain Loop area as does the trendy but relatively unpopulous Mazama / Winthrop area on Hart's Pass. But, whatever. I love Hart's Pass. Can't wait to go back there. wink.gif

The world is not round
BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostTue Jul 10, 2007 3:10 pm 
marionthegoat wrote:
It is a bit frustrating when you can't get to your favorite trails in your backyard for years on end. As the roads go, so do the trails beyond also. It is a bit odd that the rather large population of lower Puget Sound doesn't present the same level of demand pressure on the Mountain Loop area as does the trendy but relatively unpopulous Mazama / Winthrop area on Hart's Pass. But, whatever. I love Hart's Pass. Can't wait to go back there. wink.gif
Wow! I did not know I was trendy. My wife will not believe this. embarassedlaugh.gif

marionthegoat
That's a trail ??

marionthegoat
That's a trail ??
PostTue Jul 10, 2007 3:42 pm 
Trendy
I guess Trendy is in the eye of the beholder. Or maybe she's Trudy's sister, I dunno. Trendy visited Mazama the day the gas pumps went digital and I walked inside the brand-new store where some loud woman with a thick New York accent was demanding some french spritzer they didn't have. I almost spilled my designer mocha on a rack of expensive alpaca sweaters. Next door some guy was giving people in designer shoes flycasting lessons. I think Trendy must have bought property there because the land prices have gone WAY up. If you do see her, tell her 'Hello' for me. biggrin.gif

The world is not round
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Jul 10, 2007 4:09 pm 
BeyondLost wrote:
Magellan, The Okanogan has pretty limited funds which they put toward the major roads and trails. I imagine this happens elsewhere but there is a large amount of trail clearing done here by private volunteers. For example the West Fork Methow was cleared and rebuilt after the Needles Creek fire by volunteers under contractor supervision. Every year Eric Burr (mostly) and I clear the Monument Creek Trail with chain saws and I also go up with my chain saw and cut out the down timber off the Scrample Point trail. This year that took several days of hard labor. The horsemen clear the Twisp River trail. A local packer and employees keep the Driveway Butte trail clear. I could go on and on but these kind of efforts leave the funds for the big jobs that require professionals with heavy equipment. This year is really difficult because last december we had the worst snow and blow down between 1800 and 4500 feet in memory. People can get through on foot but no stock on a lot of trails yet. I'm not sure how much people from out of the area realize just how much is done by locals to make their hike a bit easier and more pleasant. Most of us are not in the tourist industry, just people who enjoy the trails and like to volunteer.
Thanks Beyondlost! Your work is greatly appreciated! Thank you thank you thank you!

Art is an adventure.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Jul 10, 2007 5:00 pm 
marionthegoat wrote:
I guess Trendy is in the eye of the beholder. Or maybe she's Trudy's sister, I dunno. Trendy visited Mazama the day the gas pumps went digital and I walked inside the brand-new store where some loud woman with a thick New York accent was demanding some french spritzer they didn't have. I almost spilled my designer mocha on a rack of expensive alpaca sweaters. Next door some guy was giving people in designer shoes flycasting lessons. I think Trendy must have bought property there because the land prices have gone WAY up. If you do see her, tell her 'Hello' for me. biggrin.gif
The place was chock-full of tennis players one weekend when the Open, or whatever the hullaballoo of tennis is called....TV was on and espresso was flowing in the Yup Room. I bought my stuff and left to go backpacking on the Mid Fk. at Slate Pass area. Almost hit some brightly uniformed yuppy bicyclists that were on the road. I'll try harder next time. hmmm.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostTue Jul 10, 2007 5:06 pm 
Quark wrote:
marionthegoat wrote:
The place was chock-full of tennis players one weekend when the Open, or whatever the hullaballoo of tennis is called....TV was on and espresso was flowing in the Yup Room. I bought my stuff and left to go backpacking on the Mid Fk. at Slate Pass area. Almost hit some brightly uniformed yuppy bicyclists that were on the road. I'll try harder next time. hmmm.gif
I checked with my wife (who is never wrong). I'm not trendy. But she says I am a tough old goat so I thought you might like this mountain goat kid photo taken just past Dead Horse Point on Harts Pass Road.
Taken along Harts Pass road just above Dead Horse Point
Taken along Harts Pass road just above Dead Horse Point

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Jul 10, 2007 5:13 pm 
Oh, that's so cute! Excellent photo, too. By the way, thanks for all your hard volunteer work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
ArcDome

ArcDome
PostTue Jul 10, 2007 6:05 pm 
BeyondLost wrote:
Every year Eric Burr (mostly) and I clear the Monument Creek Trail with chain saws and I also go up with my chain saw and cut out the down timber off the Scrample Point trail. This year that took several days of hard labor.
BeyondLost: Thanks for the hard work! I am not familiar with the Scrample Point trail. Does it start off of the Monument Creek trail? If so, how far up?

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostTue Jul 10, 2007 7:44 pm 
Road Apple wrote:
BeyondLost wrote:
Every year Eric Burr (mostly) and I clear the Monument Creek Trail with chain saws and I also go up with my chain saw and cut out the down timber off the Scrample Point trail. This year that took several days of hard labor.
BeyondLost: Thanks for the hard work! I am not familiar with the Scrample Point trail. Does it start off of the Monument Creek trail? If so, how far up?
Oopps! I just noticed the typo. It is the Scramble Point trail. It is unmarked but about one mile up from the trailhead on the Monument Creek trail it cuts off to the left (just before the real steep downhill on the Monument Creek trail). It is not on the usual maps and is used pretty much only by locals and a group of hunters during the high hunt. The FS does NOT maintain this trail at all. I won't bother everyone with a map but email me if you want a GPS map. The last part to the point is a "scramble" after you leave a campsite that the hunters have at about 5500 feet or so. The point is about 6300 feet and then there is a ridge that takes you up toward Beauty Peak. One of these days I'll do a full post with photos from up there. It is the only place I know of that you can see up the Lost River gorge.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jul 10, 2007 7:58 pm 
Just saw this, blasting has started. http://www.omakchronicle.com/nws/n070709a.shtml The Harts Pass road is an historical road, and used to access an old mining town on the west side, the barely west side.They even used to dogsled in supplies during the winters. Just some trivia. I ate the glacier lilies up there. They are high in vitamin C, and elevation. lol.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Jul 10, 2007 8:33 pm 
You ate the glacier lilies? Wow, that's quite a feed. I've seen that slope below Buckskin trailhead covered in those buggers. (this was before you showed up and ate 'em).

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Jul 10, 2007 8:52 pm 
BeyondLost, thank you very much for all your hard work on the trails. We have 20 acres in the hills near Rendezvous and I get over there 3-4 times a year. I have always loved hiking over there, and really look foward to the loneliness off the Methow. I never see anyone on or off trail, except the very popular routes. I would definitely love to see that topo for Scramble Point. Now that I know you get out over there, I will probably be harassing you via PM for all kinds of route info. hockeygrin.gif If we could get as many people to show up at the FS meetings as show up at TNAB or the socials, we could seriously make a difference in what goes on in our local MBSNF.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Jul 10, 2007 9:06 pm 
Slugman wrote:
And even using the Mtn Loop itself as an example, why wasn't the road started in spring of 2004? That was THREE YEARS AGO!
It was in public comment period for several months, then EIS studies were performed, then a couple of user groups excersized their right to protest for over a year, the appeal was lost, then the contractor was chosen and work started, then winter came. Then winter left, and a coupla folks got all wigged out about the little fish embryos or whatever they're called, so they stopped the whole process. Then they said they'd help facilitate the work so it's done properly, but then it was stopped again. Meantime, clumps of mud are dropping into the drink. No problem with the guy pointing out infractions on the repair, just sorta miffed the river gets all buggered up with fill while it lay exposed during the previous appeal process and current ki-bosh, which makes a better case to keep ki-boshing it, even though the reason it's sloughing into the drink is because it's not fixed, yet it's not fixed because the ki-boshers won't flippin' let it be fixed. banghead.gif banghead.gif It's a vicious circle.
Slugman wrote:
I say let the Hart's pass road wait for three years at least, until every road that washed out before it is fixed! First destroyed, first fixed! That's perfectly fair.
I wish it were that black and white, but beings we're in a democratic society and all that crap, all roads are not treated alike because all roads are not alike. I see the economic value of the Mtn Loop as important as Dead Horse Point, but some folks don't see it that way at all. Money is not the sole consideration that tips it. It's a strong voice and community spirit that enjoys the beauty and history and recognizes the economy it brings that tips it. History, beauty and economy lie beyond in both Dead Horse Point and Barlow Pass. But the beauty, history and economy of Dead Horse Point is advocated; Barlow Pass - not so much. The differences in the citizens in whose care our lands lie dictate what happens. Hart's Pass has the charm to be in a more unified community with like interests. Barlow Pass has the dumb luck to be in an area where no one can agree on anything, ever.

ArcDome

ArcDome
PostTue Jul 10, 2007 9:16 pm 
BeyondLost, Thanks for the info.