Forum Index > Trail Talk > The Harts Pass road will open at 4:00 p.m. today Friday 8-17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostWed Jul 11, 2007 1:43 pm 
Harts Pass Road Closed
I just heard the first dynamite blast at 1:30 PM. It is very loud even nearly 3 miles away. It has begun.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostThu Jul 12, 2007 3:31 pm 
Hart's Pass Road Closed
BOOM!!!!! Wow! They just set off a charge up there that shook our house and rattled the windows. And this is 3 miles away. paranoid.gif eek.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Jul 12, 2007 3:44 pm 
You know what this means...? It’s with bittersweet realization that it comes to me that Dead Horse Point will be sanitized, made sane, and readily driveable to all peoples of this world. Dead Horse Point will no longer be the gnarly, scary narrow boulder-infested death point we all know and love. A generation from now, no one will even know why it was even called Dead Horse Point.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Jul 12, 2007 3:53 pm 
Quark wrote:
You know what this means...? It’s with bittersweet realization that it comes to me that Dead Horse Point will be sanitized, made sane, and readily driveable to all peoples of this world. Dead Horse Point will no longer be the gnarly, scary narrow boulder-infested death point we all know and love. A generation from now, no one will even know why it was even called Dead Horse Point.
I hope so. Becuase when I reach elite peakbagger status, I will be taking my Hummer Limousine to every trailhead.

Art is an adventure.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Jul 12, 2007 3:57 pm 
Stef you are so full of sh##.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostWed Jul 18, 2007 6:22 am 
Harts Pass Road Closed - W. Fork Methow TH Closed
Since the enormous blast on July 12, there has been no more blasting at Dead Horse Point. I had dinner last night with a friend who always seems to know everything about what is going on in the valley. He told me the word/rumor is they blew out half of the road bed (not on purpose). There is nothing on the FS web page since July 6. The Methow Valley News is printed today so will see if any news there. If none an early morning trip up the road may be indicated to see what has really happened up there.

ArcDome

ArcDome
PostWed Jul 18, 2007 7:05 am 
According to the FS web site, the W. Fork Methow trail has been reopened. This also might be an indication that they will not be blasting in the near future.

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostThu Jul 19, 2007 7:44 pm 
Harts Pass Road Closed - W. Fork Methow TH Closed
As of this afternoon, this is what is happening at Dead Horse Point. I have this from a very reliable source. hockeygrin.gif The entire top of the cliff wall and all the loose stuff up above has been blasted and slid down to and some over the road. As it went it knocked off a bit of the outer side of the road bed but not much. There is now about 3X as much rock on the road bed as before the blasting. Walking out on the rock is really scary as you can hear and feel rock moving. What is there is going to require really big equipment to move it. I guess they are waiting for that to arrive as nothing has happened for a week. The good news is the road bed is pretty much intact. smile.gif Bad news, it won't be open for a while yet. frown.gif

ArcDome

ArcDome
PostMon Jul 23, 2007 6:28 pm 
Latest update on the FS trails page regarding the new Deadhorse Expressway: "Demolition operations were conducted throughout the week of July 9-13, much rock was reduced. Crews are working now to clear the road for excavation work. This work could last for a further two weeks. The road will then be reassesed to determine if it can be safely opened to the public."

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostMon Jul 23, 2007 6:50 pm 
Harts Pass Road Closed - W. Fork Methow TH Open
Road Apple wrote:
Latest update on the FS trails page regarding the new Deadhorse Expressway: "Demolition operations were conducted throughout the week of July 9-13, much rock was reduced. Crews are working now to clear the road for excavation work. This work could last for a further two weeks. The road will then be reassesed to determine if it can be safely opened to the public."
I guess they mean a further 2 weeks once they start. No sign anything has started yet.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Jul 23, 2007 8:54 pm 
BL, Do you have any information about if the Barron Mine people want the road open? And if they will contribute to the road work? Is this FS effort for the mine and the microwave facility on Slate Peak?

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostMon Jul 23, 2007 9:48 pm 
Snowbrushy wrote:
BL, Do you have any information about if the Barron Mine people want the road open? And if they will contribute to the road work? Is this FS effort for the mine and the microwave facility on Slate Peak?
I am not aware that there has been any commercial mining interest up there for many years. A few hobbyists have mine claims they work. They used it as a replacement fire tower in 1994 when Goat Peak was unusable. The military never used it as outmoded before it was finished and radar never installed. If you know of some kind of microwave facility up there, you know more then I do. smile.gif Enlighten me.
Slate Peak observation tower-2004
Slate Peak observation tower-2004
I saw forest service workers working around the shack up on top when I was there in 2004. No sign of microwave or radar.
I saw forest service workers working around the shack up on top when I was there in 2004. No sign of microwave or radar.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Jul 23, 2007 10:09 pm 
I guess I'm thinking of another lookout. I've sat around Slate enough through the years that I should know, but I'm mistaken.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
marionthegoat
That's a trail ??

marionthegoat
That's a trail ??
PostMon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm 
Interests
There are still patented and unpatented mining claims held in the Barron and Slate Creek areas. The claims, while productive as recently as the 1980's, have been idle for a couple decades and the DNR considers the properties 'abandonded'. Hobby placer miners frequent Canyon and Slate Creek, but they don't really present an economic interest per se in terms of production. However, the recent high market prices for gold keep claim owners clinging to their interests in the region. Slate peak was leveled in the 60's, supposedly for a Stategic Air Command radar observation post which was obsolete the minute it was built. There's solar cells up there, but nothing as high-tech as a microwave or radar dish. Today, Slate Peak has the dubious distinction of sporting the highest parking lot in Washington. However, only VIP's get to park there, the rest of us have to hike the last 1/4 mile. rolleyes.gif

The world is not round
BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostTue Jul 24, 2007 6:58 am 
I wasn't around here then, but this is supposedly the time line history of Slate Peak and the lookout "Located at the end of the highest road in Washington, Slate Peak Lookout was first constructed as a gable roof cupola in 1924. In 1954 an L-4 ground cab was moved intact from Leecher Mountain, and two years later the Air Force removed 40' from the summit (including the lookout) for a radar station that was never built. The lookout was put on a 41' tower. With stunning views of the North Cascades, it is maintained for emergency use."