Forum Index > Trip Reports > TNAB: Putrid Pete's Peak 6/7/07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostSat Jun 09, 2007 11:03 am 
Putrid Pete's Peak 6/7/07 Attendance: Schmidt Altitude (Jeremy & Tisha), Don (Malachai Constant), Larry, Andrew (ADrewzki), Nikolai (twodogdad), Joseph, Daniel (Winnie), Yet and Yours Truly...almost Omega Chris (oh yeah - five dogs on this hike!) Putrid Pete's Peak (P^3) is one of my favorite TNAB hikes. P^3 is the eastern sub-summit of Web Mountain. As a hike, it's short, steep and has plenty of attitude (as well as altitude). The hike starts from the Ira Spring Trailhead. About a quarter mile down the main trail, just as it starts to curve back to the east, a faint bootpath leads off to the left. This is the way to P^3. The trail starts nice, with switchbacks gently ascending into the woods. If you come to a fork, simply choose the higher route. The trail gradually becomes steeper and harder to follow, with one counter-intuitive, slightly descending traverse. If you stay on trail, you will eventually come to a short, obvious talus field crossing, complete with "rock buddies". This is the end of the forest section and the beginning of the ridge run. The trail turns sharply upward after the talus field, emerging from the woods in short order. As the path disappears beneath your feet, the ridge materializes above. Make a beeline for the ridge, keeping a mental image of where you exited the woods. From here, simply follow the ridge to P^3! P^3 itself is a small scramble to the "summit". Conditions this night were mild and overcast. It had rained all day, so the trail was quite slippery. Unavoidable contact with vegetation resulted in soaked pantlegs. It took us an hour to complete the forest section of the trail. On the ridge, we gained local views including McClellan Butte due south. P^3, shrouded in mist, came up quicker than expected. Summit time: 7:45 PM. As we gathered, Joseph broke out some microbrew he brought for the occasion. Yum! Then we found out it was Nikolai's birthday, and he brought champagne to celebrate. Woo Hoo! Add two batches of brownies, dried pineapple and macadamia nuts to the mix, and you have a party! The descent took longer than usual due to the steep terrain and damp conditions. I forgot my watch this night, but I think we made it out some time after 10:00 PM. Half of the group then went for late night kilocalories at the Factoria Keg (good food but sloooow service!). Good times and great hike!

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot

ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot
PostSat Jun 09, 2007 12:21 pm 
Whoo yeah! Good hike. Since we did Teneriffe last week, I figured this would be a piece of cake. Turns out it was more than I had initially thought. Great hike though. May be my last for a bit since I actually need to work starting next week. We'll see.
A small waterfall I found while waiting
A small waterfall I found while waiting
McClellan Butte
McClellan Butte
You can see our cars!!
You can see our cars!!
"Closeup" of the lot. Haha
"Closeup" of the lot. Haha
Beargrass! Beargrasses??
Beargrass! Beargrasses??
Indian Paintbrush
Indian Paintbrush
Tons of snow behind the summit!
Tons of snow behind the summit!
Heading down
Heading down
View
View
More view
More view

huron

huron
PostSat Jun 09, 2007 2:14 pm 
I remember the summit register from P3 last year. There was a photo of Putrid Pete himself. Still there?

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostSat Jun 09, 2007 2:23 pm 
Yup, the register and pic are still there. Seems a lot of folks get up there during the year!

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Jun 09, 2007 4:19 pm 
Still the most famous belay/save of all time.

Yet

Yet
PostSat Jun 09, 2007 4:23 pm 
Her Story
No pics from me, but here's my story, and I'm sticking to it. wink.gif Per usual, I had no clue what I was getting myself into, despite the fact that I read a few trip reports about P^3 prior to the hike. My attitude toward the TNAB hikes is to show up, not overthink it (especially the origin of putrid), and come what may = fun. This week, knowing the capacity of the group (having previously hiked with everyone who was there that night), I knew I'd eventually fall behind and would soon be going solo the rest of the way. Even with twodogdad's recovering knee. wink.gif I was okay with that. In fact, I was expecting it; and I actually prefer that nobody waited for me on the way up. We had radios and magic sticks. What more could a girl want? Chocolate? I had that, too. smile.gif Mark described the trail to me as primitive, so I wasn't surprised when I started grabbing on to veggie belays after crossing the talus field, which was when I saw the last magic stick. It was quite...yeah. FUN! Until I realized that I was on the side of the mountain and that I could actually, uh - fall - if I let go. Veggies, they're not just for dinner anymore. I shouldn't have looked down, because then I began to feel something funny.....I think it's called scared. Some of my thoughts... "These guys are nuts! So...what does that make me?" "Do I want to die a virgin?" wink.gif "How the heck am I going to get down this way?" "I want my mommy! And maybe my grandma, too!" The rest, are rated NYM (never you mind). Once I found a nice level-enough corner where I could rest (read: hide and cower), I radioed Mark..."I'm not sure if I am still going the right way. It's really steep." His response? "Yep, that's the trail." (However, I was to find out later that it wasn't.) Decision time. Keep going only Pete knows where? Or stay in said corner and keep cowering? I decided to stay put. I had my KitKat bar to keep me company. I only wish it lasted an hour, because that's how long I waited. Soon, the gang came back down. Was I ever happy to see them! And the best part was that they seemed really happy to see me, too. Oh good! I was only imagining feeling excluded, like that one time in high school...but I digress. Gang came back down...happiness resumed! So, there was an actual trail on the way back down to the talus field, which was not the way I came at all. I guess I was bushwhacking earlier. Hee! Does that make me an official bushwhacker? And was it just me, or did the hike back to the TH seem incredibly short? And how about that, I saw first hand where the term crack foliage came from. huh.gif "Ask no questions, I tell you no lies." (Can you guess which nwhiker am I quoting? You got me, I'm too lazy to look it up.) I love Mark's description of this hike; no wonder I liked it so much!
Mesahchie Mark wrote:
As a hike, it's short, steep and has plenty of attitude (as well as altitude).
Of course, the peeps were first-rate. up.gif I really enjoyed each and every single one of you. Thanks, all! smile.gif ps: Happy Birthday, twodogdad! flowers.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Jun 09, 2007 5:58 pm 
A few more Pix including elusive Spider Lake
McCellans Butte
McCellans Butte
Spider Lake through clouds
Spider Lake through clouds
View South
View South
I-90 from PPP
I-90 from PPP

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostSat Jun 09, 2007 6:19 pm 
Never a dull moment on a TNAB hike. Here are our picture contributions:
Starting out
Starting out
Rock [i:f37214da9e]shutter delay[/i:f37214da9e]
Rock shutter delay
End of [i:f37214da9e]shutter delay[/i:f37214da9e]
End of shutter delay
Mark leads the way with his fanny pack :embarassedlaugh:
Mark leads the way with his fanny pack embarassedlaugh.gif
The fun ridge scramble
The fun ridge scramble
Soaked undergrowth = very wet pants
Soaked undergrowth = very wet pants
Kiefer keeps a lookout
Kiefer keeps a lookout
Jeremy and Andrew head up
Jeremy and Andrew head up
Almost there, guys!
Almost there, guys!
On the summit:
What did they eat?
What did they eat?
Perched on the summit
Perched on the summit
Daniel, our [i:f37214da9e]Q-Tip[/i:f37214da9e] model
Daniel, our Q-Tip model
Tisha's cute butte (McClellan behind)
Tisha's cute butte (McClellan behind)
Cheers to twodogdad's birthday!
Cheers to twodogdad's birthday!
Party at the top!
Party at the top!
Rock antics
Rock antics
On the way down, we also experienced much treecipitation adding to our already soaked state.

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season
Yet

Yet
PostSat Jun 09, 2007 6:23 pm 
Schmidt Altitude wrote:
Mark leads the way with his fanny pack :embarassedlaugh:
Mark leads the way with his fanny pack embarassedlaugh.gif
ykm.gif ps: I love the "Rock antics" photo. Too fun!

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostSat Jun 09, 2007 11:44 pm 
TMI

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostSun Jun 10, 2007 12:14 am 
Layback wrote:
TMI
What you talking 'bout??? dizzy.gif

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season
Yet

Yet
PostSun Jun 10, 2007 2:59 pm 
"The Attitude Couple" - I like it! smile.gif

twodogdad

twodogdad
PostSun Jun 10, 2007 3:13 pm 
thanks
Thank you, cheerers, Digger and all! tdd

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Jun 10, 2007 3:16 pm 
What I saw
Quote:
Soaked underpants
Soaked underpants

Yet

Yet
PostSun Jun 10, 2007 3:20 pm 
ADrewzki wrote:
May be my last for a bit since I actually need to work starting next week. We'll see.
frown.gif