Forum Index > Trip Reports > Puffer Butte / Mineral Mountain 5.18.2007
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostMon May 21, 2007 2:41 am 
The nice thing about working a weekend from time to time is that it gives me some time off during the work week. With Friday off I woke up somewhat early, grabbed one of Alan’s books and hit the road. I left Spokane about 9:15am heading south on 195 for Lewiston. After crossing the river into Clarkston I picked up highway 129. After passing through the small town of Asotin and even smaller town of Anatone I found the turn off for Fields Spring State Park, and eventually the trailhead for Puffer Butte. It sure felt great to be on the trail again. The weather was wonderful with highs in the 70’s accompanied by plenty of sunshine. The Puffer Butte trail is easy to follow as it gains elevation toward the 4,550’ foot summit. After crossing a few cross-country ski paths I found my self in a pleasant forest atop the Butte. In a short while the forest floor gave way to a grassy summit with wildflowers in every direction. Once atop the short summit I was rewarded with an awesome view of Washington’s Grande Ronde River drainage and the Blue Mountains. To the east was the ever impressive Snake River Canyon below Idaho’s Craig Mountains. Lastly, to the far south I could see Oregon’s snowcapped Wallowa Mountains. After taking a short break and signing the summit register found in the warming hut I made my way back to the trailhead completing the 2.5 mile loop. This was a great hike. I knew this was a short one, and therefore, made sure to take my time noticing the little details. It’s amazing how much you see if you just slow down to smell the wildflowers.
Population sign in Anatone, Washington.
Population sign in Anatone, Washington.
Old cafe in Anatone, Washington.
Old cafe in Anatone, Washington.
Wildflower along Puffer Butte Trail, Blue Mountains, Southeast Washington.
Looking toward Oregon from the summit shelter atop Puffer Butte in the Blue Mountains, Southeast Washington.
Looking toward Oregon from the summit shelter atop Puffer Butte in the Blue Mountains, Southeast Washington.
View south from Puffer Butte in the Blue Mountains, Southeast Washington.
View south from Puffer Butte in the Blue Mountains, Southeast Washington.
Wildflowers atop Puffer Butte in the Blue Mountains, Southeast Washington.
Summit view from Puffer Butte in the Blue Mountains, Southeast Washington.
Summit view from Puffer Butte in the Blue Mountains, Southeast Washington.
Looking toward Oregon from the summit of Puffer Butte in the Blue Mountains of Southeastern Washington.
Looking toward Oregon from the summit of Puffer Butte in the Blue Mountains of Southeastern Washington.
Trail along Puffer Butte in the Blue Mountains of Southeastern Washington.
Trail along Puffer Butte in the Blue Mountains of Southeastern Washington.
flickr19
flickr19
Wildflowers and beetles on Puffer Butte in the Blue Mountains of Southeastern Washington.
Wildflowers and beetles on Puffer Butte in the Blue Mountains of Southeastern Washington.
Wildflowers and beetle on Puffer Butte in the Blue Mountains of Southeastern Washington.
Wildflowers and beetle on Puffer Butte in the Blue Mountains of Southeastern Washington.
Wildflowers along Puffer Butte Trail in the Blue Mountains of Southeastern Washington.
Wildflowers along Puffer Butte Trail in the Blue Mountains of Southeastern Washington.
Panoramic view from summit of Puffer Butte in the Blue Mountains of Southeastern Washington.
Panoramic view from summit of Puffer Butte in the Blue Mountains of Southeastern Washington.
With plenty of daylight left I decided to drive home through Idaho along highway 95. About 16 miles north of Moscow I took a left on Skyline Drive, and after 5 long windy gravel miles through vacant McCroskey State Park I found the trailhead for Mineral Mountain. After shouldering my pack I headed up the old road/trail as it wound around the mountain passing numerous wildflowers on its course for the summit. This hike had one of those spooky feels to it. I never felt alone on this one and made sure to shout the usual “Hey bear!” from time to time. Eventually I found the 4,128 foot summit, and what appeared to be some old concrete footings of a lookout tower. I was a little disappointed in the views from the overgrown summit. I was hoping to be able to see a little more toward Idaho’s St. Joe River country, a great hike none the less. Someday I’ll have to return and check out the 8 mile Korth Trail.
Wildflowers along trail to Mineral Mountain in Northern Idaho.
Wildflowers along trail to Mineral Mountain in Northern Idaho.
Wildflower along trail to Mineral Mountain in Northern Idaho.
Wildflower along trail to Mineral Mountain in Northern Idaho.
Summit shot atop Mineral Mountain in Northern Idaho.
Summit shot atop Mineral Mountain in Northern Idaho.
Summit view from Mineral Mountain in Northern Idaho.
Summit view from Mineral Mountain in Northern Idaho.
View from trailhead to Mineral Mountain in Northern Idaho.
View from trailhead to Mineral Mountain in Northern Idaho.
Source for hikes: “Best Hikes with Dogs Inland Northwest” Craig Romano, Alan L.Bauer

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon May 21, 2007 2:53 am 
Great pictures! There are a lot more flowers over there than farther west. Still a little early for the Cascades I guess. I did see one of these in the Teanaway area yesterday and my novice picture-matching guess is that this is Dwarf Waterleaf. Can anyone confirm that?
Quote:

Sir Hikes-A-Lot
X-Ray Guy

Sir Hikes-A-Lot
X-Ray Guy
PostMon May 21, 2007 7:38 am 
Way to go T-bone. Nice weather out there, huh?

BA-NA-NARE-NARE-NARE-NARE-NARE-NARE-NARE!
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostMon May 21, 2007 9:07 am 
Great day you had around there Tanner--I'm glad you took the time to enjoy Anatone as well, one of my favorite stops roaming around over there! up.gif I have photos of the cafe as well and was also curious...is the old abandoned Chevron gas station still around there? I was last there in May 2003 through Anatone and then to Puffer Butte. Your flowers were about exact as I had when I was there. Sadly my day there as I was enroute to head down into the Grand Ronde country the following day was a mess of rain, thunder, and no sun. Flowers looked fresh with the water all over them. My wet smelly border collie didn't smell so fresh after hiking all around there clown.gif Thanks for the report--I'm glad you are enjoying those areas. Not crowded, eh?

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostMon May 21, 2007 9:09 am 
What a great area..Thanks for the TR and pics. I need to hit this area in a week or two.. I hope the wildflowers are a blooming crazy in the meadows biggrin.gif Hey, when we doing Adams?

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon May 21, 2007 10:09 am 
That's funny, I think I have Anatone listed as one of the dives in Washington. lol.gif puzzlr, yes that's a waterleaf. they're all over the place this year; I haven't noticed the profusion in years past, but maybe I'm just an idiot. This year I'm hooked on vanilla leaf. TJ, when I was in that area last year, I fell in love with it. I toured around Dayton, and up through Anatone & stayed at Field Springs before heading to Troy, OR. Then I was in the Palouse a few weeks ago, I fell in love with that as well. This trip report of yours has me thinking I might have to move out that way. Hell I'm unemployed with no prospects - maybe there's sumpin there for me. Waitress in a cafe, John Deere rep, artist, maybe some town over there needs a mayor...

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostMon May 21, 2007 11:02 am 
Sure Anatone is a dive---but it's a great one that it is required stopping for the sign, cafe mural, and old Chevron station pumps that you'd miss if you forgot to slow down through town. I didn't say you need to roam there for more than 5 minutes, but roam you must! THere isn't more than 5 minutes there to roam anyhow. Maybe they need an umemployed mayor.... biggrin.gif You could establish a weekly run to Asotin for groceries for the town---sky is the limit!

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostMon May 21, 2007 11:42 am 
Alan, yes the old Chevron station is still standing complete with vintage pumps and all. up.gif Anatone is a neat little town, cant believe people live there when the closest gas station is 19 miles away in Asotin. I also cruised by the old Anatone cemetery just outside of town. Spotted about 8 mule dear roaming the tombstones, pretty cool sight.

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostTue May 22, 2007 2:24 am 
Nice TR, trailjunky. Really enjoyed the wildflowers. Had fun trying to look some of them up in our thick Wildflowers book, but geez, couldn't find very many! Very cool flowers indeed. Think puzzlr is right about the purple spiny one being a waterleaf of sorts. Your 3rd pic, the purple one is especially pretty. A lily, perhaps? The fourth (fushcia) reminds me of a shooting star, but I thought those hung downwards. The only one I could positively idenitify was your white one: a trillium. Enjoyed your report.

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season
Valegirl7

Valegirl7
PostTue Jun 12, 2007 9:11 am 
Home town girl
I was looking for information on the annual Anatone Day BBQ and came across your posts. There were fun for me to read. lol.gif I grew up in Anatone in the 60's and 70's, I now tell people I won't live anywhere that Pizza can't be delivered. smile.gif As a girl growning up there use to know all the names of the flowers, can't quite remember all of them now. The one that is referred to as a water something. We called "Wooly Birches". The gas station used to be the gather spot for all the ranchers in the area with the old coke machine that you reached down inside of with water in it. There was a grocery store until about 1970, the post office is still there and a community hall that is used for the local gatherings. Glad to hear you all are enjoying the country side. It was a wonderful place to grow up around. Even with the 10 ft snow drifts smile.gif