Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lake Ingalls Trail 6/24
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
canyonwren
Secret Otter Agent

canyonwren
Secret Otter Agent
PostMon Jun 25, 2007 9:56 pm 
I've been completely wowed by all the great scrambling and climbing people have done and am totally inspired to get a helmet, some climbing partners, and eventually do start peak-bagging myself. In the meantime, here's a humble hiking TR. A friend of mine had never been hiking before and asked if I would take her. I said sure and told her to make sure she had adequate footwear, raingear and left the cotton at home. She did pretty well, although the raingear turned out to be a Hefty garbage bag. rolleyes.gif I'd brought along some extra clothes and food as a precaution, but not any extra raingear, so it had to do. We drove out to the Ingalls Lake trailhead and headed up. She did great, until we hit the part of the trail where the edge of the trail was also the start of the cliff. See, I keep thinking I have a fear of heights and therefore understand other people when they say they have a fear of heights. I'd just done this a few weeks ago, when I blithely told my buddy that Ozette was "flat as a pancake," completely forgetting about the fun little cliff climb with ropes, if the tide is in. "Flat as a pancake," she muttered at the time. (We have since established that my fear of heights has a baseline of jumping out of airplanes or bungi jumping off a bridge, which can't really be considered a fear of heights per se.) So, this friend almost balked, but I talked her through it. She leaned into the cliff and stayed really, really close to me. Poor thing. But still! For a first hike, she ended up with absolutely gorgeous vistas and three mountain goats! Not everyone sees a mountain goat on their very first hike. cool.gif My friend declined to either traverse through the snow, once we reached the pass, or scramble up the peak (probably a good thing). So, we ate our lunch and made eyes at the baby goat. Had a pretty good hike down, although my friend's slightly substandard shoes helped teach her about glissading when we crossed the snow patches. She's inspired to buy some proper boots, good raingear and come along for some more, so I must have done something right!
Fern
Fern
Polyhex and her Hefty bag!
Polyhex and her Hefty bag!
Snowy June day
Snowy June day
Mountain goat
Mountain goat
Not sure which peak this is...Stuart? Looking out from the pass below Ingalls Peak.
4 labels
Not sure which peak this is...Stuart? Looking out from the pass below Ingalls Peak.
Kid on rock
Kid on rock
Goat and kid 1
Goat and kid 1
Right before the baby goat takes a leap!
Right before the baby goat takes a leap!
This may seem like a backdrop, but it's not.
This may seem like a backdrop, but it's not.
Mt Stuart
Mt Stuart

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
pochac

pochac
PostMon Jun 25, 2007 10:14 pm 
Nice TR! Looks like you saw the same goat and kid Payton and I saw back in October. smile.gif

wbs

wbs
PostMon Jun 25, 2007 10:54 pm 
Nice capture on goat(s) pic #7 up.gif Typical kid goat "hey ma hey ma look were getting out picture taken " Mama reply "stop staring" nono.gif Nice trail that is, good diversity of geology and forest. ML and I were up there back Memorial Day. How are the flowers coming along on the lower trail? PS - you last pic is Stuart, and #5 I think is actually Ingalls Pk from that angle appears looking up via Headlight Basin (?).

canyonwren
Secret Otter Agent

canyonwren
Secret Otter Agent
PostTue Jun 26, 2007 9:24 am 
wbs wrote:
Nice capture on goat(s) pic #7 up.gif Typical kid goat "hey ma hey ma look were getting out picture taken " Mama reply "stop staring" nono.gif Nice trail that is, good diversity of geology and forest. ML and I were up there back Memorial Day. How are the flowers coming along on the lower trail? PS - you last pic is Stuart, and #5 I think is actually Ingalls Pk from that angle appears looking up via Headlight Basin (?).
Ah, thank you for the peak ID! The flowers were nice, but not as good as on the Teanaway ridge the week before. Still, it's worth seeing. That and the goats, of course. That little one was such a ham!