Forum Index > Trip Reports > Johnson, Jungle and Way Creek trails 6/25/07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostMon Jun 25, 2007 8:43 pm 
I had good intentions of a killer loop hike but my friend Sabina had an evening musical soiree to participate in, so we did part of the Malcolm Mt. loop trail as far as we could go until our turnaround time. And good thing, as the full loop would have added 3 more miles to my popping knees and sore toes. Weather was better than forecasted. Sunny with a cool breeze and no bugs. All creek crossings were fine (morning and afternoon) and the trail has been fully cleared of many, many blowdowns.
Lot's of trail work done here
Lot's of trail work done here
There were no motorbikes or horses today but they have been there (possibly clearing the trails). What a pretty set of trails these are right now. Flowers everywhere, red, yellow, orange and harsh (?) paintbrush
Paintbrush
Paintbrush
scarlet gillia, more vanilla leaf that I have ever seen
vanilla leaf gardens
vanilla leaf gardens
columbine, queens cup, lupin, well just look in your books and it was there, including some vibrant and new to me penstemon (I've only seen the shrubby lavender kind).
Sabina shooting penstemon
Sabina shooting penstemon
Davidson's Penstemon
Davidson's Penstemon
Vibrant!
Vibrant!
By the way, Sabina is wearing denim and cotton, but don't worry, she survived. After about 1 1/2 miles this trail starts switchbacking up meadows of flowers in the forest and each turn is a different kind which makes the ascent seem pleasant. At 2.7 miles a junction is reached
Up or Down?
Up or Down?
Tree Karate
Tree Karate
We headed up (but it went down rant.gif a ways and up and down...) views of the Stuart Range were ever increasing
Views
Views
Stuart
Stuart
but every switchback looked like it was the big view to the South and then the woods would appear again and we would go on, hoping and losing hope. Finally, another junction and the turn for Koppen/Malcolm Mts.
but it was our turn around time and we needed some lunch. Butterflies joined us.
Splash of color
Splash of color
The "noise free" trail was obviously unmaintained heading on and upward. Someday, I hope do this loop as it looks like the views get even better. On our way out we ran into a nice man with a ferocious Jack Russell Terrier (Terror?) named Jackie and Yay, she was leashed as she would have eaten us for a snack right there. Turns out this was her first hike and we were a big threat, except that she apparently ignored the BEAR down at the 1st mile of this trail that we somehow missed. So, I was feeling pretty good about my hiking legs going up this trail but coming down was a different story. It was a long and slippery descent and stayed that way until BEAR turf
In the jungle
In the jungle
Jungle Creek Trail
Jungle Creek Trail
7.4 miles 1700-2000 ft We soaked our aching toes in the Teanaway and headed back to the big city. Deer were spotted on the road and on the trail, lots of little birds, one lizard, one terrier and then this:
Road Block Ahead
Road Block Ahead
It's what's for dinner...
It's what's for dinner...
What of it?
What of it?
Milk, it does a body good.
Milk, it does a body good.
After the cow crossing
After the cow crossing
BEWARE THE COWS!

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message