Forum Index > Trail Talk > Car break in thread
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Oct 10, 2006 4:07 pm 
I have an idea. Let's have a thread all about car break ins/incidents at THs. Just the facts, no debate. I think it should be stickied in this subforum. Right after this post I'll do a sample one so you can see what I'm thinking.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
notslugman

notslugman
PostTue Oct 10, 2006 4:09 pm 
Rachel Lake TH breakin 10/9
Window was broken in my car. All other cars had a window broken too. Also got a ticket for not displaying Trail Park Pass. Oops, left it at home. doh.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Oct 10, 2006 4:23 pm 
Please do weigh in here, we can start a new thread for the real deal or whatever.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Oct 10, 2006 4:31 pm 
Never had my car broken into. Dont know anyone who has.....

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Oct 10, 2006 4:38 pm 
Drivers side window smashed at Victor Falls near Sumner. Backpack w/ a lens stolen. mad.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Oct 10, 2006 4:42 pm 
The idea for this thread is to discuss whether or not a thread documenting breakins would be a useful addition to the site.

Tazz

Tazz
PostTue Oct 10, 2006 4:48 pm 
What no trip report? I thought there would be a TR. Maybe this should be in the TT section..... No reason to muck up the TR section with stickies.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Oct 10, 2006 4:53 pm 
I think a thread with breakins will be quite interesting. might actually turn into a resource, if a little discipline is applied. no trip report, that will just add clutter to the thread.. make a separate post for trip details. otherwise it's breakin at thus and such, followed by a page of pictures and gee whiz and lookit dat, oh yeah and a break in, then another trip report... and note of a break in.... i think jus de facts....keep it simple so it reads fast

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers

PostTue Oct 10, 2006 5:20 pm 
Was up at Olallie Meadows yesterday. There were five cars with the passenger windows smashed and glove box contents scattered about. Felt sorry for the hikers returning from a beautiful day in the woods only to have to deal with a theft. bawl.gif
TrailBreakIns
TrailBreakIns
It couldn't hurt to devote a thread to car prowls. Patterns might emerge and certain spots could be avoided. For example, could the break-ins described on Monday at Rachel Lake TH be related to the ones the following day at Olallie? They are not that far apart. Were there any more up that way today? Think of all the trips taken each day by members and readers of this site. We could create quite a database of information and help strike back at these clown.gif jab.gif This is perhaps a little off topic but what if we had an "adopt a trailhead" (or 3 or 4) approach? Someone volunteers to keep tabs on the incidents at "their" TH's and posts updates to a thread. Anyway, just a thought...

Life is short, hike hard...
Jennanik

Jennanik
PostTue Oct 10, 2006 5:32 pm 
marylou wrote:
The idea for this thread is to discuss whether or not a thread documenting breakins would be a useful addition to the site.
If there was a thread that I could check up on to see if a particular trailhead had a nasty history of breakins, I would definitely use it. I would either decide not to park there or to clean every last thing out of my car and leave everything open to anyone looking in so that (hopefully) they wouldn't waste their time smashing my windows. I think it would be a useful resource.

Jen
Tazz

Tazz
PostTue Oct 10, 2006 5:43 pm 
I think it is a good thing to have it. That way we can plan a good booby trap for the bad guys biggrin.gif ! I just think the TT section is better for it is all.

Ulrich

Ulrich
PostTue Oct 10, 2006 5:53 pm 
...going through some of my notes. Already in 1999 broken window glass on Monday morning was not an uncommon occurence at various trail heads such as Rachel Lake, Granite Mountain, Lake Serene. Just recently at Headlee Pass

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostTue Oct 10, 2006 6:07 pm 
I've only broken into my own car 3 times this year.. and didn't have to smash the window once huh.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource

whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource
PostTue Oct 10, 2006 6:16 pm 
marylou wrote:
Please do weigh in here, we can start a new thread for the real deal or whatever.
Sounds good to me. The post should include the approx date of the break in too. My to do list now includes getting some clear plastic and duct tape to prepare for the inevitable. I'll keep it in the car.

Damian

Damian
PostTue Oct 10, 2006 6:17 pm 
Not sure how a car break in info would be useful. I would not change hike plans because an area gets hit frequently. If so, I would have quit hiking 3rd beach ions ago. And I would take no additional precautions beyond what I already take, as every trailhead is a likely hit spot regardless of its recent history. A car break in thread would never have good news, only bad news. If a car break in thread is useful, it means you are not taking sufficient precautions already. A thread like this would only bum people out. If we have a car break in thread I'm gonna start a hemorrhoids thread.