Forum Index > Trip Reports > Deception Falls
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Forrest

Forrest
PostSat Jun 30, 2007 11:32 pm 
A friend of mine just finished a book about the train disaster with the avalanche near Stevens Pass, so we took a road trip along US 2 to see the area. Deception Falls was a lucky find on the way, probably 10 miles west of the pass (give or take). The hike is disappointingly short, although if you have another trail in mind, this is a great stopping point to stretch your legs and see something beautiful. It's brief enough to not wear you out, so a few miles somewhere else is still easy. But the place is a temperate rain forest, with moss growing on the trees, until you climb under the road (yuck) and the temperature drops about 20 degrees with the gentle spray coming from the falls. It's also a bit crowded, but a great time. Deception Falls There are a lot of great photographers in here, so if anybody is interested, this is a 1/3 second exposure, on a 5D and 30 mm lens, closed down to f/16. I still need to go through the other photos from today, but if any of the others are good, I'll post them here.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSat Jun 30, 2007 11:56 pm 
Nice shot. That water's moving pretty fast if that's only 1/3 second. I usually shoot water at 1-2 seconds, and sometimes as high as 4 seconds. I haven't been up to Deception in a while. I'll have to make a trip up there again soon. There's some nice shots along the rest of the Tye River too, if I remember right.

peltoms

peltoms
PostSun Jul 01, 2007 4:10 am 
What time of day was the shot, the lighting is nice too.

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
Forrest

Forrest
PostSun Jul 01, 2007 5:35 pm 
It was around 4:30 or 5 pm, yesterday. The light does look more like sunset ... I wonder if it's the altitude? Which one is the Tye River? The drive is obviously much longer from Seattle, but it's also a lot more scenic, the mountains are stark and dramatic. I'm going back up next weekend, looking for a better hike.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Jul 01, 2007 5:39 pm 
Deceoption Creek (creek with Deception Falls) flows into Tye River, so it's right there at the recreation area.

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur
PostSun Jul 01, 2007 7:46 pm 
Thanks for that up.gif Deception Falls is a nice little break from the pounding of tires on Highway 2. I really like your picture too, great job!

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
Forrest

Forrest
PostMon Jul 02, 2007 10:41 am 
Great! I've got plans for the coming weekend now - thanks for the tip.