Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sunrise weekend
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jul 02, 2007 9:54 am 
It was raining hard in Issaquah Friday which made for a lack of enthusiasm on packing. I had toyed with the idea of camping in Chipmunk Basin but the idea of highway 2 on Sunday night changed my mind. Saw a report that said Sunrise road was now open and having a fast waning Park Pass mad the deal. Stopped at the 4 corners Safeway to a take out pannini and was on my way making the parking lot by noon. Stopped on the way for permit many available due to snow.Went to Emmons View to eat.
Lunch view
Lunch view
Watching the turons try to take baby carriages up the snow I quickly hit the ridge and had a turon moment of my own and stashed my pack to jog back to the car for permit and SUNSCREEN. The crowd petered out by Frozen Lake so I decided to go to Fremont to see if the roof had been fixed of course it had not and I will not repeat the pix here other than to show the interior
Firefinder
Firefinder
I then proceeded to Berkley Camp which is in a cold snowy hole mid way between beautiful Berkley and Grand Parks. I did manage to get a pix of the famous Berkley Bear
Elusive Berkley Bear
Elusive Berkley Bear
. Had a dinner of Curry tuna for TJ's and Kim Chee ramen. After dinner headed over to Grand Park for the sunset
Grand Park
Grand Park
Grand Park Alpinglow
Grand Park Alpinglow
In the morning I headed back up the trail to Berkley park and cut the long switchback in a snow gully with ski tracks and filled my bladder with water from the last stream
Upper Berkley Park
Upper Berkley Park
There was a bit od snow at Skyscraper pass which required care in crossing. Here I ropped my pack and headed up to Skyscraper mountain
Skkyscraper Mtn.
Skkyscraper Mtn.
on top was someone enjoying a Camel who took my picture
Top of Skyscraper
Top of Skyscraper
there was a nice view down the White River where you could see Baker and Glacier Peak.
Down White River
Down White River
From here I scoped out the route to 3rd Burroughs. I headed down the trail toward Mystic lake and at the first switchback headed cross country through woods then scree and snow to below the col between 2nd and 3rd Burroughs. I next followed a ridge next to the cliffs of 3rd Burroughs
Cliffs 3rd Burroughs
Cliffs 3rd Burroughs
looking down I could see the flats below
View from Cliffs
View from Cliffs
soon I was on the flats of 3rd Burroughs where I saw what looked to be the highest tree
Last Tree
Last Tree
Ate lunch on top then headed down as clouds were forming with a cap on Rainier. Could see climbers on the way down
Emmons Route
Emmons Route
Went down the South side trail which had a number of steep gullies for which an axe was prudent. Took a couple pictures of Emmons on the way out.
Glacier snout
Glacier snout
Emmons outwash
Emmons outwash

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message