Forum Index > Trip Reports > Crater Lake Basin/ Libby Peak 8580'/ Ravens Roost 8598' 6/30
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Jul 01, 2007 5:10 pm 
Location : N of Chelan > NW of Methow Access : SR 97 > SR153 > Gold Cr. Rd. (FR 4340) > FR 300 Guidebooks : Summit Routes, 100 HIKES in Wa. North Cascades Maps : Prince Creek GTM Stats : 12mi., 4500', 12 hr. r/t
craterlakeravenridge
craterlakeravenridge
Steve and I were on the trail around 0800ish under predominantly clear blue skies with a supposed sweet forecast for the day smile.gif . It was a clear night so I expected it to be rather cool initially, but it was warm until the basin, then cool, but comfortable. The path was a steady up the entire way through a well forested Crater Creek drainage, the route had recieved maintanence by a local horse club up.gif , bridges intact at several spots and the creek running low which made for easy crossing. There were a couple sections of nice cascading waterfalls near the trail. We eventually hit the mouth of the Crater Lakes Basin, a fairly large area surrounded by 8000' ridgelines and 8000' plus mountains on three sides and containing two shallow lakes and alot of open areas cool.gif .
Crater Creek
Crater Creek
Gaining elevation on the Crater Lake trail.
Gaining elevation on the Crater Lake trail.
South Ridge of Crater Lakes Basin.
South Ridge of Crater Lakes Basin.
Crater Lake from the NW shore.
Crater Lake from the NW shore.
We saw no one and there was nobody around the lakes / basin up.gif up.gif , Steve gazed at the lake, but didn't see any fish rising down.gif , the scenery and terrain was awesome, we made our way around to the west side of the lower lake and took a break on some huge granite slabs overlooking the water. We decided to trend NW into the upper basin to get better views of our route up to Libby Peak's south ridge. After scoping out several possibilities we jettisoned the ice axe, crampons, fishing gear and other nonessentials and planned to get them on the return. The slope and ridge ended up being a mix of scree, talus, and boulders hmmm.gif .
Northwest basin wall we went up to gain the South ridge of Libby Peak.
Northwest basin wall we went up to gain the South ridge of Libby Peak.
Up the rock pile.
Up the rock pile.
Mt. Bigelow and rock glacier below.
Mt. Bigelow and rock glacier below.
South side of Raven Ridge.
South side of Raven Ridge.
We made the ridge with exceptional views that only became better once we reached the summit at 8580' agree.gif .
View from Libby Peak summit 8580'.
View from Libby Peak summit 8580'.
Pano 2  from Libby summit.
Pano 2 from Libby summit.
Pano 3 from Libby Peak.
Pano 3 from Libby Peak.
Sawtooth Ridge Peaks and points.
Sawtooth Ridge Peaks and points.
Star Peak
Star Peak
Courtney Peak, it's snowy E. Ridge leads down to Fish Creek Pass.
Courtney Peak, it's snowy E. Ridge leads down to Fish Creek Pass.
Oval Peak and Scaffold Ridge running North.
Oval Peak and Scaffold Ridge running North.
Narrow section of Sawtooth Ridge between Libby Peak and Mt. Bigelow.
Narrow section of Sawtooth Ridge between Libby Peak and Mt. Bigelow.
Seven Fingered Jack (center)
Seven Fingered Jack (center)
Steve on the ridge to Libby Peak.
Steve on the ridge to Libby Peak.
North Cascade Peaks. There are quite a few !
North Cascade Peaks. There are quite a few !
Bonanza and ?
Bonanza and ?
Hoodoo Pass cuts a notch in The Sawtooth Ridge.
Hoodoo Pass cuts a notch in The Sawtooth Ridge.
Chiwaukum Range with Rainier behind. We estimated we could see 100 miles beyond us.
Chiwaukum Range with Rainier behind. We estimated we could see 100 miles beyond us.
Courtney Peak with Buttermilk Ridge leading Northward to Oval Peak. I think ?, Martin , Bonanza, and Devore are in the background.
Courtney Peak with Buttermilk Ridge leading Northward to Oval Peak. I think ?, Martin , Bonanza, and Devore are in the background.
Libby Lakes Basin and way beyond !
Upper Northwest Crater Lakes Basin.
Upper Northwest Crater Lakes Basin.
We had a lunch break chow.gif on Libby's summit and watched as some climbers came up to a highpoint several hundred yards to our N from the Libby Lake Basin, the face on that side is vertical with the exception of some very steep couloirs. We looked over at Ravens Roost across the ridge to our east and though it is said to be higher and looks higher, the maps have it as 8530'. Steve couldn't stand it slobber.gif , he had to know, so we decided to traverse below the knarly ridge and several highpoints and get to the bottom, or top of this issue. So we took off making our way through the rock garden and at one point I stepped on a rock it moved and the boulder above it rolled onto my left lower leg, that hurt, and had my leg caught for a few seconds before I rolled it off. The boulder fields are like a house of cards, moving one can move many, especially on a steep slope. I had some cuts, abrasions, and some minor swelling, but only superficial pain, I was lucky bricks.gif . Steve heard me holler, but I didn't linger, he himself had found more than a few unsteady boulders, which makes working your way through those areas more meticulous. Anyhow, we had some great views down into the Libby Creek Basin and North side of Ravens ridge and eventually arrived at the lower part of Ravens Roost and found our way to the summit with a short section of climbing in, over, under, and around some boulders (class 3 rock)...
Ravens Roost from Libby Peak, is it higher ?, looks like it.
Ravens Roost from Libby Peak, is it higher ?, looks like it.
Final rock ramble to Ravens Roost. The N couloir was full of snow as we looked down into Libby Lake Basin.
Final rock ramble to Ravens Roost. The N couloir was full of snow as we looked down into Libby Lake Basin.
Ravens Roost 8598', yes it is taller than Libby Peak 8580' !
Ravens Roost 8598', yes it is taller than Libby Peak 8580' !
Boulder tunnel near the summit of Raven Ridge.
Boulder tunnel near the summit of Raven Ridge.
Looking W from Ravens Roost at Libby Lake, Hoodoo Peak, Oval Peak, and many others.
Looking W from Ravens Roost at Libby Lake, Hoodoo Peak, Oval Peak, and many others.
Crater Lake from Ravens Roost
Crater Lake from Ravens Roost
The Northface, of Mt. Bigelow.
The Northface, of Mt. Bigelow.
Along the Sawtooth Ridge Martin Peak and a 8000' highpoint.
Along the Sawtooth Ridge Martin Peak and a 8000' highpoint.
Upper Crater Lake
Upper Crater Lake
Crater Lake and Upper Crater Lake from Ravens Roost.
Crater Lake and Upper Crater Lake from Ravens Roost.
From Raven Ridge, Crater Lakes Basin below, the ridge we came up, and in the background Mt. Bigelow, Hoodoo Pass, and a section of The Sawtooth Ridge.
From Raven Ridge, Crater Lakes Basin below, the ridge we came up, and in the background Mt. Bigelow, Hoodoo Pass, and a section of The Sawtooth Ridge.
Mt. Maude, Seven Fingered Jack, and Mt. Fernow.
Mt. Maude, Seven Fingered Jack, and Mt. Fernow.
Old tree turned into art.
Old tree turned into art.
wildernessed on the summit of Ravens Roost.
wildernessed on the summit of Ravens Roost.
Steve wandering in the upper west basin, the basin is huge and very open in  places.
Steve wandering in the upper west basin, the basin is huge and very open in places.
We took some quick shots and were off Ravens Roost needing to loop back and pickup our gear hink.gif . We headed nearly straight down towards the center of the lake taking the path of least resistance then angling west on a descending traverse back to the upper basin. To do Ravens Roost, you can come in from Crater Lakes and it's class 2 up the gut to the peak with a small section of class 3 at the top. Once we had our gear, Steve didn't think we had time to go to Upper Crater Lake, he spied it with his binoculars earlier and it was much the same as the lower lake, so we headed around the lower lake to find quite a few small fish jumping so Steve gave it a few casts from several different locations using a lure with no hits, I think he was to tired to try anything else and we were on our way back doing the seemingly loooong, tired, knee crunching, foot hurting descent to the truck. Exhausted and quite satisfied with a exceptional day in the mountains. hockeygrin.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun Jul 01, 2007 5:37 pm 
Outstanding report and pics (as usual). I almost went after Oval Peak this weekend but opted to do something else. Your pics make my mouth water. up.gif up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Jul 01, 2007 5:42 pm 
Oval is on my hit list, Oval, Star, and Courtney would make a good overnighter. The views from that area are just incredible. I could see Mt. Adams and the valley N of Winthrop into Canada at the same time. Good Stuff !

twodogdad

twodogdad
PostSun Jul 01, 2007 5:45 pm 
splendid TR
Splendid TR: that boulder tunnel shot, esp., is a classic. Glad you're safe up.gif up.gif Do you have Azurite on your list this summer? Someone who climbed the Pickets twenty yrs ago (and knows what he's talking about) told me Azurite was doable by dogs. Can't wait to see your TR. tdd

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Jul 02, 2007 7:43 am 
twodogdad wrote:
Splendid TR: that boulder tunnel shot, esp., is a classic. Glad you're safe up.gif up.gif Do you have Azurite on your list this summer? Someone who climbed the Pickets twenty yrs ago (and knows what he's talking about) told me Azurite was doable by dogs. Can't wait to see your TR. tdd
I have read some about it, suppose to be steep, then a loose class 3 gulley to the summit(?dog friendly). Sounds like a cruise. There is alot between here and there. I have several pics I took that look like they might be Azurite and Ballard, but I can't be sure.

summitseeker

summitseeker
PostMon Jul 02, 2007 7:55 am 
Awesome Rob!!!! Way to knock off another one. Glad you topped out the ridge -- that sure is a cool tunnel, isn't it? smile.gif Killer pics, as usual. Really glad your leg/foot is OK.
twodogdad wrote:
Do you have Azurite on your list this summer? Someone who climbed the Pickets twenty yrs ago (and knows what he's talking about) told me Azurite was doable by dogs. Can't wait to see your TR. tdd
My recommendation would be to not take dogs on Azurite. The upper gully is only class 3, true, but it's steep and loose. Here's a pic looking up the gully. Or my TR from last Oct. has more info. -- Scott

"Find out who you are and then do it on purpose." www.summitroutes.com : Guidebook to the 100 highest peaks in Washington
Tazz

Tazz
PostMon Jul 02, 2007 8:04 am 
SWEET stuff W!!! I am so happy you have been getting back out again this year!!! Looking forward to you next one!

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostMon Jul 02, 2007 8:24 am 
wildernessed wrote:
...and found our way to the summit with a short section of climbing in, over, under, and around some boulders...
eek.gif strange.gif

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Jul 02, 2007 9:56 am 
Yana wrote:
wildernessed wrote:
...and found our way to the summit with a short section of climbing in, over, under, and around some boulders...
eek.gif strange.gif
Thanks all, it's been a good year, days like these are the best of times, and precious few. We covered some rock on this trip. I was quick to move when my leg got caught, as there was a SUV sized boulder right above me. But looking around side hilling a boulder-talus field you can only do so much. The best route for Ravens Roost for those interested is straight up to the ridge about midway across lower crater lake, there is a vein of fairly stable talus and scree you can run to the ridge level, then the boulders start in that section.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Jul 02, 2007 10:00 am 

twodogdad

twodogdad
PostMon Jul 02, 2007 11:24 am 
azurite
Thanks, Scott--I signed up for your site a couple of days ago as a result of reading your report while doing due diligence on Azurite. Here's a plug-in for summitroutes.com, folks: current TRs and color pics are nice additions to the book up.gif tdd Wildernessed, my better half doesn't believe it's a man-size boulder tunnel (but I'll never get HER up that mountain). smile.gif

summitseeker

summitseeker
PostMon Jul 02, 2007 3:53 pm 
twodogdad wrote:
Thanks, Scott--I signed up for your site a couple of days ago as a result of reading your report while doing due diligence on Azurite. Here's a plug-in for summitroutes.com, folks: current TRs and color pics are nice additions to the book up.gif tdd
Thanks a lot for the plug tdd! And have a blast on Azurite! It's a wonderful climb -- as good as any. I'll keep an eye out for your TR.

"Find out who you are and then do it on purpose." www.summitroutes.com : Guidebook to the 100 highest peaks in Washington
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Jul 04, 2007 8:18 pm 
Crater Lakes Basin with Mt. Bigelow to the Right, Martin behind, North and South Navarre background left.
Crater Lakes Basin with Mt. Bigelow to the Right, Martin behind, North and South Navarre background left.
Mt. Maude, Seven Fingered Jack, Fernow,  Copper, with Glacier Peak in the background.
Mt. Maude, Seven Fingered Jack, Fernow, Copper, with Glacier Peak in the background.
Name these peaks looking West from Libby Peak.
Name these peaks looking West from Libby Peak.
You tell me looking NNW from Ravens Roost.
You tell me looking NNW from Ravens Roost.

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostWed Jul 04, 2007 9:22 pm 
Excellent trip report and pictures!

cascadianwarrior
Fear the Yeti

cascadianwarrior
Fear the Yeti
PostSun Jul 08, 2007 9:03 pm 
Nice job! I was up at Crater back in May '04 soon after the road melted out. Forgetting the snowshoes made for a longer appraoch than I had planned on and I didn't get past the lake itself. But after reading this TR I know I need to get back up there soon!
(sorry for the crappy photostitch!)

-Trust Mervin Manufacturing-