Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rachel and Rampart Lakes, Alta Mt. 7/6/07 - 7/7/07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostSun Jul 08, 2007 8:38 pm 
Just the facts: The trail to Rachel Lake is completely snow-free. There are some small patches at the lake, but snow-free campsites abound. The trail up to Rampart Ridge is almost completely snow-free, but there is still a good amount of snow up on the ridge. The Rampart Lakes area also has a lot of snow, and the upper-most lake is still mostly frozen over. The trail up Alta Mt. is almost completely snow-free. At no point were my running shoes insufficient on the snow, and I had no need for trekking poles or ice ax. A woman we met as we were hiking down Alta said she came over Rampart Ridge from Lake Lillian and boots were necessary. And from what I saw when I was up at the lakes she was smart to have her ice ax with her. I forgot to bring my hiking pole with me on this trip. For other people that might not be a big issue, but I use mine to hold up my tent/shaped tarp (GoLite Hex 3). The weather could not have been better, however, so we had no problem sleeping in the open....except for the mosquitoes. They were out en force. I've been camping under tarps without a head net for years, but this was probably the worst assault I've endured. That's not saying much though, since I usually have good luck with the mozzies. I swam across Rachel Lake and back, it was wonderful. I was very tempted to use my Exped Downmat as a lounge raft but decided not to. After the swim I made myself a little underwater bench in the shallows and relaxed in the hot sun. The steep climb up Alta Mt. was gorgeous. Lots of flowers: avalance lilies, paintbrush (including the first orange one I've seen), some lupine, and maybe five to ten more species I don't know the name of (I believe one was a monkey flower). Rainier looked huge, Adams peeked over the horizon, and Glacier Peak was partially visible. From the summit you can see miles of the Kendall Catwalk trail and countless peaks, as well as I-90. The Rampart Lakes were much more than I expected...it would be sublime if not for the hordes of people (all of whom insist on camping within a nanometer of a lake shore). My pictures don't do it justice however, and I'm not sure they're even worth uploading to Flickr. Maybe later, I'm tired.

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostSun Jul 08, 2007 10:02 pm 
Please do post your pics. Especially anything that shows the conditions from Lillian to the Ramparts.

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSun Jul 08, 2007 10:06 pm 
Yes, please do post the pic when you can. I'd like to see the conditions in that area.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostSun Jul 08, 2007 10:07 pm 
Thanks for the report Dane smile.gif Would like to see your pictures agree.gif Looks like I better save this one for a weekday dizzy.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSun Jul 08, 2007 10:12 pm 
Save it for a nice hot weekday later in the summer - once those little lakes warm up the swimming is fantastic! One of them trapped me up there for several hours last August.

greg

greg
PostMon Jul 09, 2007 8:05 am 
Was up there Saturday too, got in and out early and mostly avoided the hordes. Dane, here are some pics, hope you don't mind.
One of the Ramparts Lakes
Rachel Lake
Rachel Lake
Ramparts Ridge
Ramparts Ridge

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jul 09, 2007 8:09 am 
What was the snow situation at Lila lake?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tazz

Tazz
PostMon Jul 09, 2007 8:15 am 
it was just starting to melt 2 wks ago. I bet it is mostly thawed now though. I have a pic somewhere...

greg

greg
PostMon Jul 09, 2007 8:15 am 
BPJ, we actually tried to get to Lila, never having been there, but lost the trail under snow half-mile after the intersection. If you know the way it probably wouldn't be much of a problem to get there though.

Tazz

Tazz
PostMon Jul 09, 2007 8:18 am 
Lila is the one under Alta right? If so here ya go...

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jul 09, 2007 8:21 am 
When was that taken Tazzer?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tazz

Tazz
PostMon Jul 09, 2007 8:22 am 
2wks ago this Wednesday. From Hibox. I might be melted out now with the weather we have had.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jul 09, 2007 8:24 am 
Im packing for a hike right now and it just came to me that its been twenty years since Ive been up there..... Might be a place to go. Id want Lila thawed out though.

derekwayne

derekwayne
PostMon Jul 09, 2007 9:50 am 
I was up at Rachel last weekend....nice....never been in this area before, need to go up n further....thanks for the report up.gif

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostMon Jul 09, 2007 11:22 am 
greg wrote:
Was up there Saturday too, got in and out early and mostly avoided the hordes. Dane, here are some pics, hope you don't mind.
Was your picture taken recently, or is it an older one? I'm surprised to see any of the Rampart Lakes melted out so completely this early in the year.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien