Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lake Janus, and the PCT north from Stevens.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jul 10, 2007 10:51 pm 
After tearing a calf muscle while running in May I've been hobbled since then. I've finally decided to get out and try the repair job out. I've never been north on the PCT from Stevens before so that seemed as good as anyplace to go. I got a late start at the Smith Brook trail head on Monday afternoon. The weather was nice and not as hot as it got today. It took me 45 minutes to get to Union Gap where I met an 84 year old man heading for Valhalla lake. We gabbed for a bit and then were on our way. It took me a hour and a half to get to Janus lake. The lake, although low in elevation was pretty enough.
Janus Pano
Janus Pano
There I met a grand mother and her young grandson enjoying their yearly overnighter. I left at 4pm heading for Glasses lake. Once up on the ridge top at 5100' I encountered more snow than I guess I expected. Much of the PCT was gone for hundreds of yards at a time. It was interesting navigating it. I finally got to the point were I could see little Margaret lake.
Margaret lake from ridge
Margaret lake from ridge
At that point I new Glasses was close by.
Glasses from the ridge
Glasses from the ridge
There were some very nice views of Glacier Peak as well.
Glacier from PCT
Glacier from PCT
With all the snow I couldn't seem to find a route down into Glasses, and since I've been urged to be more careful when alone I decided not to try it. I could have spent the night on the ridge, but I always like a nice swim before bed time, so I headed back to Janus. At this point the bugs were BAD so I set up the Stephenson 2X anti bug hotel. I found shadow man at the same time.....
Stephenson 2X anti bug hotel.
Stephenson 2X anti bug hotel.
Shadow man from Janus
Shadow man from Janus
The next morning while hiking out I decided to run over to Valhalla from Union Gap. It wasn't far and I'm glad I did. What a gorgeous lake.
Valhalla from the ridge trail
Valhalla from the ridge trail
I dropped my pack and ran down for some more shots and a dip in the pool.....
Valhalla do-s and dont's
Valhalla do-s and dont's
Valhalla from shore
Valhalla from shore
All in all it was a nice first hike of the year. I was glad to mark off some of the lakes I hadn't been to yet. Tom

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostTue Jul 10, 2007 10:56 pm 
Cool TR BPJ! That Stevenson's is sweet!

touron

touron
PostTue Jul 10, 2007 11:02 pm 
Nice pictures. I have swum in Glasses Lake. As Bill Cosby would say, "The water's w-w-warm dear!" I wonder if you could get a picture of the other side of Shadow man from Janus by sneaking around him? sneaky.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Gil

Gil
PostTue Jul 10, 2007 11:27 pm 
Bummer about your leg -- hope it's holding up. Glasses looks like an interesting lake. Great pix of Valhalla!

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed Jul 11, 2007 2:10 pm 
Sounds like a great spot to bring the ipod, sit by the lake and listen to Wagner...

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostWed Jul 11, 2007 7:12 pm 
BPJ, that's a neat section of the PCT after regaining the ridge north of Janus. Was there a tricky steep spot of snow there where the trail flips over to the west side? I like the "balcony" campsite just off the trail which looks down on Glasses. Last summer my son and I dropped down to stay at the lake on a visible path that takes off at the saddle just beyond where Glasses is first spotted. With snow, it would be trickier. This picture is taken from the far side of the lake,the route coming down through the rockfall
Glasses Lake Reflection
Glasses Lake Reflection

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jul 11, 2007 11:33 pm 
BPJ, that Shadow man from Janus, you really saw it, or are you joshing and it's really you. The reason I ask it 'cuz Janus, that lake is haunted, you know. One minute families are picnicing on the shore and soon as it gets dark you see floating faces in the woods. I was kicking around heading up that way on the PCT this past weekend, but since it was so hot & I was lame, well lamer than usual, I was a-feared we'd have to bunker down early and camp at Janus & there ain't no way, nope, that I'd camp within 5 miles of that two-faced bastard.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jul 12, 2007 8:00 am 
GOG, the PCT once on the ridge line was gone for hundreds of yards at a spot. It was interesting route finding. I've never been up there before. The route down to Glasses wasn't rocket science, but will all the snow I just didn't want to mess with it. Quarky thats really me!!! GASP! Don't know about how haunted Janus is, but its a VERY sub alpine feeling alpine lake..... Bug central.....

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln