Forum Index > Trail Talk > Picture of the Day (Archive 3)
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
l

l
PostFri Jan 25, 2008 7:57 pm 
1-25-08 550 028
1-25-08 550 028

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostFri Jan 25, 2008 8:19 pm 
Inverted waterworld of 01.25.08
ShacknastyJim..."artsy!". Great color! Love it!

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostFri Jan 25, 2008 8:24 pm 
sneaky sunshine
HJT....you caught one! How did you get it? Lasso or sky hooks and other paraphernalia? No matter....very fine Sun-Dog! You have all the luck!

nuclearnorm
all about the WEIGHT

nuclearnorm
all about the WEIGHT
PostFri Jan 25, 2008 8:56 pm 
Great pics!
Awesome shots! Could you tell me where they were taken? I would love to see it for myself.

"Summiting is optional, getting down is mandatory." Ed Viesturs
Hesman

Hesman
PostFri Jan 25, 2008 9:05 pm 
Sabahsboy wrote:
other paraphernalia?
I convinced the cat to do some hissing to keep 'em in the right place while I took some pictures. I don't know what the deal is, but I've been catching some good sun/cloud shots this last week. I usually don't get many spectacular sun/clouds pictures from my house. And I got home from work at the right time!

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostFri Jan 25, 2008 10:09 pm 
HJT, we saw two of those this afternoon, too, on our way home from our hike. Didn't pull over to get a photo, tho.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Jan 25, 2008 11:22 pm 
up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif HJT and shacknasty jim way to hang out, el dooder!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSat Jan 26, 2008 12:48 pm 
went skiing yesterday - last day of sunshine for a while...

naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostSat Jan 26, 2008 12:54 pm 
Here's something that I've never seen before and at this stage of the game, it's always exciting to discover something new. While walking Crystal out on an old logging road we came across a number of dips in the road that had a sheet of ice over them, what was interesting was that the ice was across the dip and above the ground quite a few inches. Just below the surface of ice were these spots (1'' or less) where the ice formed circles and water was melting and dropping. Because of the complexity of the image, you really have to look at it closely in order to get it. I hope you find it as fascinating as I did.
Ice Chaos, 1.24.08.
Ice Chaos, 1.24.08.

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSat Jan 26, 2008 1:22 pm 
wow naturalbeing, this image is now on my desktop for further investigation smile.gif but seriously, that's a skookum image. looks like some air was caught between the ground and the ice (how does that happen? how does ice become a roof? did the ground retreat somehow when the cold came and now the ice is suspended?) and now the ice is melting. this is a beautiful capture. gorgeous work.

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostSat Jan 26, 2008 1:40 pm 
Ice is less dense than water, than is why it floats, and when water freezes it expands. I could see a situation where the expanding action of the ice could allow air to flow underneath it.

Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife
Hesman

Hesman
PostSat Jan 26, 2008 4:32 pm 
I bumbled my way around Kopachuck State Park today and here are a few samples of what I saw:
Dead Horsetail
Dead Horsetail
Lichen
Lichen
More Oregon Grape!
More Oregon Grape!
Oregon Grape
Oregon Grape
Moss Covered Branch
Moss Covered Branch
Through the Trees
Through the Trees
Looking Upwards
Looking Upwards
Stuck Maple Leaf
Stuck Maple Leaf
More Fungi!
More Fungi!
Fungi
Fungi

drewcoll

drewcoll
PostSat Jan 26, 2008 5:15 pm 
Sunrise and Stewart
Sunrise and Stewart
Imagining Summer and a blinding sun. lol.gif ^ Nice Shrooms.

naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostSat Jan 26, 2008 7:19 pm 
Interesting comments on the Ice Chaos Image, everyone. I was hoping that with some brainstorming we could come up with an explanation. My best guess is that a layer of ice formed and then the weather became warm enough for the water below to get absorbed into the ground. Then the weather got cold again and this kept the layer of ice suspended across the dip in the ground along with additional support and assistance from the plants. As the weather warmed enough the droplets formed underneath the ice and caused the ice rings. Here's some more images to ponder. Enjoy!
Ice Image 4, 1.24.08.
Ice Image 4, 1.24.08.
Ice Image, 1.24.08.
Ice Image, 1.24.08.
Ice Image 2, 1.24.08.
Ice Image 2, 1.24.08.
Ice Image 3, 1.24.08.
Ice Image 3, 1.24.08.
Ice Image 9, 1.24.08.
Ice Image 9, 1.24.08.
Ice Image 6, 1.24.08.
Ice Image 6, 1.24.08.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat Jan 26, 2008 8:07 pm 
wow up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss