Forum Index > Food & Grub > Freeze fried meals: which manufacturer?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Sep 11, 2009 5:35 pm 
joker, I'd say for myself the biggest issues in most commercial meals are: Lack of fiber High sodium (some are beyond disturbing!) Artificial colors, flavors and preservatives. MSG Too much sauce and not enough carbs/meat and or veggies. Not that I am picky or anything clown.gif lol.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Sep 11, 2009 5:41 pm 
I hear ya. I seek out meals that have more veggies, and ideally that have rice. That helps on the fiber. You can also buy separate packages of dried veggies and add them into veggie-poor meals. I did that on a trip just last week. I've had my blood and blood pressure tested recently, and everything checks out OK (on the very good side, really, more than just "OK") so I'm pretty sure that the amount of sodium I get in the infrequent F-D meals is not a problem for me, but it's a good point for folks who may have sodium issues to keep in mind. I also try to avoid nasty additives in my general life, and if I ate more freeze-dried food I'm quite sure I'd be equally cautious, but I'm mindful of the great motto - "moderation in everything, including moderation!"

Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostFri Sep 11, 2009 5:55 pm 
sarbar wrote:
So, if you eat freeze dried meals, do your body a favor and put a shot of olive oil in it! It will make it easier to digest smile.gif
Anyone know where you can you buy packets of olive oil? Sounds like a great addition to our freezer-bag meals, but I haven't seen any around and I'd worry about leakage if I brought a teeny-tiny container of it. Your freezer-bag website is terrific, Sarbar--thanks so much.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Sep 11, 2009 6:14 pm 
Getting the oil locally can be a pain, but www.minimus.biz is a dream. $20 ordered and you get free shipping! up.gif They carry the packets at around 35 cents each last I checked. (And everything else you could want!)

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Sep 11, 2009 6:22 pm 
Little nalgenes put in snack zip-locks have worked just fine for me. I tend to get a little oil working its way out onto the outer surface of the nalgene after a few "pourings," but nothing a paper towel and/or the ziplock won't keep from causing a bigger mess. Gossamer gear is pitching teeny dropper bottles for this sort of thing, but they seem a bit small as olive oil containers.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Sep 11, 2009 8:28 pm 
Weuse the little plastic bottles they sell at REI. Back in the day used to be able to get just the freeze dried things you wanted like peas and beans. N need to bother with mushrooms, tomatoes, past etc. as dried ones work just fine (if not better). Retort packs are great so long as you are not out for more than a couple days. hockeygrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSat Sep 12, 2009 7:10 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Back in the day used to be able to get just the freeze dried things you wanted like peas and beans.
You can get all those things these days,. Whole Foods carries most of Just Tomatoes line as well if you go online to PackitGourmet and Harmony House Foods you will find everything you could EVER want or desire in freeze dried or dehydrated for components. And I forgot: You can stil get MH brand freeze dried green beans and corn at most REI's - well hidden, but it is there. Almost all REI's carry the Harmony House Sampler as well that contains a mix of veggies, legumes and flavored TVP. A good buy.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Sep 12, 2009 7:31 am 
Freeze dried? Bah! Never again! I've discovered the noodle aisle at Uwajimaya. Like Joker, I carry olive oil in a small nalgene bottle in a small freezer bag.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSat Sep 12, 2009 7:36 am 
BigSteve wrote:
Freeze dried? Bah! Never again! I've discovered the noodle aisle at Uwajimaya.
I worked for a Thai/Asian importer for a couple years. Loved my noodles back then, can't anymore. Most have a ton of MSG and are too high in sodium for me to enjoy frown.gif

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent
PostSat Sep 12, 2009 7:38 am 
sarbar wrote:
Malachai Constant wrote:
Back in the day used to be able to get just the freeze dried things you wanted like peas and beans.
You can get all those things these days,. Whole Foods carries most of Just Tomatoes
Central Market in Shoreline carries a bunch of them too, back by the bulk foods, just in case anyone that is looking for them is closer to the N. End.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Sep 12, 2009 7:39 am 
Are all the dozens of varieties of no-cook noodles at Uwajimaya packed with MSG? How about the scallop noodles, which come without a spice packet?

CampGirl

CampGirl
PostSat Sep 12, 2009 7:39 am 
Dogpatch wrote:
Anyone know where you can you buy packets of olive oil? Sounds like a great addition to our freezer-bag meals, but I haven't seen any around and I'd worry about leakage if I brought a teeny-tiny container of it.
You can find packets of Olive Oil and Canola/Olive Blend at Packit Gourmet. Plus lots of other fun stuff in packets and powders!

Packit Gourmet ~ trail meals, grocery store and kitchen gear for campers
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSat Sep 12, 2009 7:41 am 
BigSteve wrote:
Are all the dozens of varieties of no-cook noodles at Uwajimaya packed with MSG? How about the scallop noodles, which come without a spice packet?
It depends. Read carefully smile.gif Not all do - Japanese ones tend to be the worst offenders, with Thai coming in second. Of course, most of it is in the "spice packet" so I use ramen I know is free of it, then toss said packet smile.gif up.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Sep 12, 2009 8:05 am 
Pretty much avoid Whole Wallet whenever possible wink.gif PCC has some good dried stuff and we sometimes get Korean Kim Che ramen.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSat Sep 12, 2009 8:12 am 
Price wise WF's doesn't mark up the veggies and fruit over say, Central Market or buying online. And WF's also carries Porcini Mushroom powder - which is fabulous in rice dishes! I shop most stores once a month to see what they have new in stock that would work for outdoor cooking. I go in and slowly walk every aisle - your eyes tend to catch the new stuff. Usually I will hit WF, PCC, Cost Plus World Market, WinCo, Fred Meyers, QFC, Super Walmart, Target, Trader Joe's, Safeway and whatever else sounds good lol.gif