Forum Index > Trip Reports > TNAB Double Dip - Melakwa Lake and Crown Hill
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Jul 27, 2007 12:57 am 
'You're doing what?' 'Going hiking.' 'What time will you be home?' 'Midnight or so.' And so begin the questions. Why? Why do you do it? You just have to go and find out for yourself. If you like the sound of a dozen hikers of all abilities marching to a lake, swimming around in water that just finished melting 20 minutes earlier, and then nipping at some potion coming out of a purple bag, then this would have been the trip for you. A cast of thousands showed up for this one. I will mess up names and avatars, so just yell at me and I will fix them. doh.gif Alexei (Magellan), Mark (Mesachie), Yet, Damon, Don (Malachai Constant) Lynda, Jesse, Kirk, Chris M, Chris T, Steve T (Yukon 222), Steve N, Daniel (Winnie), Joe, and Nicole (Long Femurs). I got the jump. Left the TH at 550 thinking others were ahead of me. I passed several groups returning, a very high percentage of them female. This was my first time on this trail, so I took it all in. It starts in some massive cedars, and then criss crosses the river and I-90. There are waterfalls and water slides. Kids and dogs were frolicking. Cell phone coverage was excellent, as proved by several hikers chatting away. At some point, it gets serious and heads up valley. At this time of day, there was no sun on the trail. Many rocky steps, more waterfalls, in and out of forest, a third creek crossing, and finally a bunch of switchbacks leads to Hemlock Pass. It was odd to cross the pass and start sidehilling. The lake appears quickly with plenty of campspots available. Talked with two guys having an illegal campfire, checked the privy (nice), and the route up to Kaleetan. The sun shone bright for a few minutes cool.gif , but as TNAB mayhem descended, so did the fog. Daniel, Damon, and the whole Constant family splashed about in the lake. It looked like fun from a very dry shore. Food was consumed, a magic bottle appeared, and frivolity commenced. Pictures were taken, and our loud laughter awoke a lone camper across the lake. We had to go back eventually. As we descended the switchbacks, a large moon appeared above the fog that was quickly filling our valley. More pictures, more laughing, and then headlamps for a quick journey out. Everyone was in their car, aimed at home by 11 pm. What a great time with some of my favorite people. Pictures, please. hockeygrin.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hsingh07302

hsingh07302
PostFri Jul 27, 2007 1:26 am 
Magellan - Thanks for the excellent TR up.gif . It sounds like a real fun hike, just like all the TNAB excursions. Looking forward for the pics biggrin.gif

Joe

Joe
PostFri Jul 27, 2007 8:45 am 
This was my first TNAB hike, it was nice to meet everybody. A few photos
water-slide
water-slide
bridge
bridge
regrouping
9 labels
regrouping
keekwulee-falls
keekwulee-falls
yet-hiking
yet-hiking
Melakwa-Lake
Melakwa-Lake
tnab-1
tnab-1
tnab-2
tnab-2
tnab-3
tnab-3

Joe
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Jul 27, 2007 10:24 am 
I forgot to mention I was celebrating my nwhikers anniversary yesterday. One year ago yesterday I signed up and made my first post. 1620 posts later (4.44/day) I am still wanting to say something important. clown.gif

Yet

Yet
PostFri Jul 27, 2007 12:17 pm 
Hehe....I like the TR title. Oh wow! Last night was truly, truly fun. Hike out in the dark, under the almost-full moon, hang around the parking lot until 11, home late, TNAP like a baby, wake up smiling. Only TNAB! Woohoo! Hey to Dave (Tread Well). Who met us at Eastgate just to say hi...and bye! embarassedlaugh.gif Special welcome to Joe, ChrisT and sweet canine Basil!
Joe
Joe
Basil
Basil
Joe, ChrisT, some of Daniel, Yukon Steve, Basil
Joe, ChrisT, some of Daniel, Yukon Steve, Basil
Magellan, belated happy nwhikers anniversary! Had I known, I would have brought my tiara and let you wear it for the occasion. wink.gif
Malachai, Magellan, Daniel, Mark
Malachai, Magellan, Daniel, Mark
ChrisM is a little teapot.
priceless
priceless
Damon waves at his fans.
Daniel, always a treat to see your smiling face.
Crown Hill
Crown Hill
Malachai Constant, , Lynda, Jessie... Nice surprise to find you all at the lake! Bravo for braving the cold water. Thank you for the cherries. wink.gif Catholic girls rule!
Brrr!
Brrr!
keeping warm
keeping warm
SteveN, it was nice to actually see you during the hike. You are no longer the phantom hiker. embarassedlaugh.gif Kirk, so glad you joined us again! Nicole and Yukon Steve, you two are such troopers. Thanks for being the headlamp rescue brigade. up.gif Mark, thank you for organizing another great hike. You rock! smile.gif
Brownies
Brownies
The Group
The Group
Basil want brownies, too.
Basil want brownies, too.

yukon222

yukon222
PostFri Jul 27, 2007 1:42 pm 
With the late fog burn-off, it was a little cool heading up the lower canyon. Denny Creek's water volume is definitely lower but the falls are still very interesting.
keekwulee falls1
keekwulee falls1
keekwulee falls2
keekwulee falls2
Farther up the canyon, the sky above the Denny Ridge line was a vivid blue.
denny ridge before fog
denny ridge before fog
We weren't in the sunshine but hoped to revel in it at the lake. Unfortunately, a fog bank rolled in just as we arrived at Melakwa. Air was thick with mosquitoes and a few souls temporarily escaped their onslaught by going underwater.
melakwa lake campfire
melakwa lake campfire
sunset ridge
sunset ridge
After 25 minutes or so and a few photo ops, it was time to head back down the rocky trail. An almost full moon was helpful but not enough light to travel all the way down to the parking lot without headlamps.
rock posers
rock posers
nicole yet mark
nicole yet mark
moon guides TNAB home
moon guides TNAB home

Yet

Yet
PostFri Jul 27, 2007 2:01 pm 
yukon222 wrote:
moon guides TNAB home
moon guides TNAB home
Your photos...wow. This one I love.

naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostFri Jul 27, 2007 2:34 pm 
Looks like you guys had another fun outing as usual. Too bad I missed you all, I went up to Kaleetan Peak eairlier and got back to the TH before 4 pm.
Melakwa Lakes, as seen from the summit of Kaleetan Peak 7.26.07.
Melakwa Lakes, as seen from the summit of Kaleetan Peak 7.26.07.
Melakwa Lakes, as seen from the N looking S 7.26.07.
Melakwa Lakes, as seen from the N looking S 7.26.07.

yukon222

yukon222
PostFri Jul 27, 2007 3:57 pm 
Glad you like the moon shot, Yet. We've been lucky recently on the TNAB hikes; it seems to be popping out above the ridges in interesting locations. NB - what route did you use up Kaleetan? Up the ridge by Melakwa Lake, then down the ridge face north of Upper Melakwa Lake?

Yet

Yet
PostFri Jul 27, 2007 4:10 pm 
Steve, I love hiking in the moonlight. I wish I'd been more diligent about making sure I took photos whenever I spy the moon on the TNAB hikes; most times I am too busy just staring in wonderment to remember anything else. My favorite moon shots taken back in March when Mark and I scouted Fuller Mtn. Of course, back then one didn't have to wait very long for the moon to bathe the sky with its radiance.
Fuller Mtn, 032807, 6:59 pm
And this one's from Dirty Harry's Balcony (TNAB). Same moon, different day.
Dirty Harry's Balcony, 032907, 7:17 pm

naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostFri Jul 27, 2007 4:46 pm 
yukon222 wrote:
NB - what route did you use up Kaleetan? Up the ridge by Melakwa Lake, then down the ridge face north of Upper Melakwa Lake?
Kaleetan Route 7.26.07.
1 label
Kaleetan Route 7.26.07.

yukon222

yukon222
PostFri Jul 27, 2007 8:47 pm 
Yet wrote:
Steve, I love hiking in the moonlight. I wish I'd been more diligent about making sure I took photos whenever I spy the moon on the TNAB hikes; most times I am too busy just staring in wonderment to remember anything else. My favorite moon shots taken back in March when Mark and I scouted Fuller Mtn. Of course, back then one didn't have to wait very long for the moon to bathe the sky with its radiance.
And this one's from Dirty Harry's Balcony (TNAB). Same moon, different day.
I like the way you framed the moon with the sweeping tree limbs. Interesting look. Different when you can shoot up thru the limbs into the sky. You don't see that effect very often so it is a nice change of pace. Now that I know you enjoy the night time shots, I'll remember to snap a few more on the TNAB events.

Long Femurs

Long Femurs
PostFri Jul 27, 2007 9:52 pm 
This was my 3rd TNAB “lakebagger” hike of the season and it didn’t disappoint. Great pics everyone! Yet, per your request, I updated my username biggrin.gif

Yet

Yet
PostSat Jul 28, 2007 9:23 am 
Aw...thanks, Steve! smile.gif LF, I like it! Now, where are your photos, missy?

Roald

Roald
PostSat Sep 22, 2007 7:51 pm 
Magellan wrote:
If you like the sound of a dozen hikers of all abilities marching to a lake, swimming around in water that just finished melting 20 minutes earlier, and then nipping at some potion coming out of a purple bag, then this would have been the trip for you. ...
Wow, this does sound like the trip for me. Thanks, Magellan, for spelling out "TNAB" for me (doh, I am sort of slow...), and for these great TRs! Sounds and looks like fun. up.gif up.gif