Forum Index > Trip Reports > Big Snow Mtn via Myrtle Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
yukon222

yukon222
PostSun Jul 29, 2007 7:14 pm 
The weather finally cooperated and gave me a very nice weekend hiking day. Left the almost full Dingford trailhead at 7:30am Saturday. Nice cool temps with sunshine streaming down thru the forest in a few spots. Even the Devil’s Club was enjoying the day.
devil's club warming up for the day
devil's club warming up for the day
thistle
thistle
Passed a crew of 6 workers on the trail, improving some of the stream crossings and creating drainage channels. As I approached Myrtle, I kept a lookout for a simple climber’s path heading off to Big Snow. The two other times I had visited the lake with some friends, I had looked for one but hadn’t seen it. Didn’t see it this time either!
myrtle lake area
myrtle lake area
Since the area was thick with mosquitoes, I decided to go about 1/2 down the lake and then veer up into a talus field so I could do a rising traverse over to the main talus field. Wasn’t too bad initially until I left the 1st talus. 6’ high ferns, dripping wet with condensation, concealed more talus. 50 yards into the 100 yard field, I heard a big crashing sound above and behind me, perhaps 40 yards away. Couldn’t see anything but I decided to quickly thrash my way onward!! Finally saw the primary talus field and started picking my up. After awhile, I could see the top of the ridge with the Big Snow outflow pouring out of a narrow slot in the vertical ridge. Fortunately, there is a narrow area on the right side of the slot that you can scramble thru. A little tricky but no real dangers.
big snow outflow talus
big snow outflow talus
big snow outflow ascent
big snow outflow ascent
What a view to behold when you pop thru! Amazing water colors in Big Snow Lake with sweeping granite hillsides slipping into the surface. Unfortunately, the bugs were horrific. You barely had time to snap a picture before the need to swat at them grew too much. The only real route information I had quickly scanned before the trip was to ascend the ridge to the summit by going around Snowflake Lake, then follow the north side snowfields to the summit.
big snow lake
big snow lake
big snow lake reflection
big snow lake reflection
big snow lake's color
big snow lake's color
snowflake lake2
snowflake lake2
It looked like the simplest route would be to wrap around Snowflake, gain the forested ridge on the east side to avoid the cliffs and then follow that up. For some inexplicable reason, I looked up towards the far right side of the cliff face and thought I saw a ramp that would lead me onto the upper plateau. Plus it was mostly open hillside, snow and granite boulders – none of that brushy tree covered slope stuff. After ascending one short wet gully, I kept picking my up the slope and angling towards to the right. Naturally, I still couldn’t quite see if the ramp would go thru the final cliff face or not. It kept arcing away so I had to climb over to its’ base. Uh oh. I can see the top of the plateau, perhaps 50’ above me. Unfortunately, there are only 3 possible routes and none of them easy. One slot in the granite looked OK for a non-rock climber like me but the start of the slot was 10’ above me. Couldn’t reach it. Option 2 was a 4” wide crack that stretched up for 20’. Option 3 could be scrambled via a 18” wide ledge covered with loose stones and some arm work to get over the lip. However, it was directly above a 30’ drop off which then flowed into a 200’ high snowfield which then ended in a field of granite boulders. Hated to do it, but I had to drop back down 200’ to a snow finger which could be reached after traversing a very steep snowfield. Ice ax would only go in 3” or so as I slowly picked my up/over the snow.
far right side traverse
far right side traverse
falcon & owl rock
falcon & owl rock
Finally, now I can see the summit area! Short work to walk up the rest of the large ridgeline and the views open up even more. Just a few clouds at the horizon near Seattle. Gentle breeze to keep the bugs away but 60° temperature was perfect with the sunshine. Spent about 1:15 hours on the summit, occasionally taking pictures but mostly staring at the rugged terrain and lakes tucked down into their bowls. Umbrella Lady and her friend arrived on the summit a little while later. They were curious how I had made it to the top since they hadn’t seen me on the ridge above them. I confessed that I had not used the standard route on the way up but was definitely going to on the way down.
rainier & company.jpg
rainier & company.jpg
mt daniel pano.jpg
mt daniel pano.jpg
glacier from big snow.jpg
glacier from big snow.jpg
glacier first look pano.jpg
glacier first look pano.jpg
glacier big snow lake pano.jpg
glacier big snow lake pano.jpg
big snow summit 360.jpg
big snow summit 360.jpg
They left after a brief summit stay and I waited a bit, still intent on snapping even more photos of the scenery. Followed the tracks thru the snow to the head of the long snow finger at the northern ridgeline. Snowflake was far below. Glissading wasn’t an option – very steep snow with zero room to run out but the late sun had softened it up quite a bit. At the last cliff section 500’ above Snowflake Lake, I planned on veering to the north to follow the tree lined ridge down to the area just above the lake. But when I was farther up on the snowfields, I thought I had seen Umbrella Lady drop down the middle area of the cliffs which is close to where I had gone thru the first set of cliffs. Confusing area. Took me several tries to find a slot that would get down thru the cliffs. Probably much better and quicker to take the longer route thru the forest above the NE corner of Snowflake.
descending upper snowfield
descending upper snowfield
descending upper snowfield2
descending upper snowfield2
upper snowfield2
upper snowfield2
upper snowfield.jpg
upper snowfield.jpg
looking north
looking north
big snow snowfield pano.jpg
snowflake lake
snowflake lake
big snow upper field
big snow upper field
big snow upper cliffs.jpg
big snow upper cliffs.jpg
big snow upper approach.jpg
big snow upper approach.jpg
big snow middle.jpg
big snow middle.jpg
Finally reached the outlet of Big Snow Lake and picked my way down the 1000’ high talus field.
big snow outlet afternoon
big snow outlet afternoon
Continued on straight one the talus stopped, veering slightly to the right towards Myrtle to hit the south end of the lake. Ferns here were only 5’ high so that was good. Unfortunately, 4’ tall sticker bushes were hiding inside. Too late in the day to bother with anything other than a bull rush thru the stuff. Found 2 convenient logs to walk on and hit the camping area next to the end of the lake. 1 1/2 hours back to the truck. Long day. Mapping software shows total gain of about 5600’ and 14 miles. Red up, blue down.
big snow route.jpg
big snow route.jpg

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jul 29, 2007 7:18 pm 
Nice report and great pics Yuk. All in one day. Krazie Klimbers!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

PostSun Jul 29, 2007 8:35 pm 
Good job! up.gif Thanks for the map info. agree.gif Been wanting to visit Big Snow Lake but think I will wait 'till the skeeters die down a bit. winksmile.gif

Life is short, hike hard...
Yet

Yet
PostMon Jul 30, 2007 9:28 am 
Steve, glad you got a very nice weekend hiking day. Sounds like you had quite an adventure. Your photos are incredible! Thanks for sharing them. I like the reds in this one. agree.gif
looking north
looking north
The sun shining down on the snowfield is both understated and magnificent. The rocks on the left look like they just sprouted out of nowhere like Superman's kryptonite crib, except with less krypton. Awesome pic! This would look really lovely framed and put on display on a deserving wall.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Jul 30, 2007 9:50 am 
Big Snow really does have tremendous views. Thanks for trailblazing. I must get there soon.

yukon222

yukon222
PostMon Jul 30, 2007 2:51 pm 
Magellan wrote:
Big Snow really does have tremendous views. Thanks for trailblazing. I must get there soon.
If I did it again, I think I'd repeat my tracks to the Big Snow creek talus field, ie, go past the southern tip of the lake and then do an ascending traverse thru a smaller talus field before intersecting the main Big Snow talus around 4000' or so. Less brush to bash thru, plus you go thru it on a diagonal rather than straight up the slope. In terms of getting around the middle set of cliffs above Snowflake Lake, I'd probably do the longer wrap around the lake thru the trees to get to the middle plateau and then follow the long snowfield finger up to the red rocks along the far left edge of the summit ridge. The far right stuff was more open but when the upper snowfield is gone, it will probably be a steep cliffy ascent. The intial view of Big Snow Lake when you scramble up thru the creek outlet is amazing and definitely worth it. up.gif

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostMon Jul 30, 2007 3:59 pm 
Love that area Yukon - you captured it very well. We eyed the traverse from Snowflake up to Big Snow when we were there a couple years ago....definitely looked interesting. Looks like a really great summit, we especially love the unique rock formations. Glad you had a succesful day out! up.gif cool.gif

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season
yukon222

yukon222
PostMon Jul 30, 2007 6:17 pm 
Here's a better 360 summit pano hosted at Imageshack which allows much bigger files than Flickr.
Shot with Canon PowerShot SD700 IS at 2007-07-30

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Jul 30, 2007 8:01 pm 
Gorgeous ! winksmile.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
umbrella lady
umbrella lady

umbrella lady
umbrella lady
PostMon Jul 30, 2007 8:27 pm 
Great trip report and photos and it was nice to meet you on the summit, we were really surprised to see a person up there, since there weren't other tracks that we saw except from the guy camping at Big Snow lake. Certainly agree that the hike is worth it to see the lake!

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostMon Jul 30, 2007 8:31 pm 
This whole area SUCKS BEANS!!! Don't go there...just stay at myrtle lake!! those pics are all photoshopped.....actually I hope to get to snowflake soon hockeygrin.gif

Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostMon Jul 30, 2007 8:45 pm 
Yukon, Beckey's Guide talks about summiting from the lower lakes - it's great to read a TR from someone who has now done it! H. Hound showed me this view when I was up on the ridge last year.
Myrtle, Big Snow, and Snowflake Lakes
Myrtle, Big Snow, and Snowflake Lakes
I always thought that rock formation was pretty cool. You got really close to it! This is as close as I got:
Dog's teeth looking west from the ridge
Dog's teeth looking west from the ridge

Footprints on the sands of time will never be made sitting down.
yukon222

yukon222
PostMon Jul 30, 2007 10:06 pm 
Thanks, Mtn Dog. I actually thought the route from the lakes was going to be halfway established but it sure didn't appear that way to me. The way it was going over there on the far right ridge, I thought I was going to have to go up the Teeth. (So that is what they are called, didn't know that.) Here's another rock photo, plus the face which I didn't attempt even though the final summit ridge is right there. I actually went to the far right edge of the ridge but the wind buffeting the trees as it hit the 1000' drop-off was way too "interesting". So I backed down the face 200' and went up a steep snow finger to the final ridge.
falcon & owl.jpg
falcon & owl.jpg
just below summit ridge
just below summit ridge

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Jul 30, 2007 10:07 pm 
I liked your 'Falcon and Owl' caption better.

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostMon Jul 30, 2007 10:53 pm 
Falcon & owl is a great title for that photo. It really looks like those shapes. Scary devil's club photo also. Thanks for the info on this route.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien