Forum Index > Trip Reports > Snoqualmie Mountain 7/28/07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSat Jul 28, 2007 10:57 pm 
This is one of our favorites that we do almost every year. It's not because of the quality of the trail however. It's a steep grunt over rocks, roots and scree (with hordes of mosquitoes and black flies thrown in for good measure). But even still, it is always enjoyable. Probably because of the quick elevation gain (about 3000 ft in 3 miles) and the really beautiful views. Today's trip started off a little rough (I just didn't want to get out of bed) but seemed to improve as we hit the road. But then as we approached the Pass I realized that (in my sleepiness) I had forgotten to bring socks. This is usually a VERY BAD thing for me because my feet tend to complain when the boots are wrong, the socks are wrong, etc... But I wasn't going home without a hike so off we went, with my Olympic National Park slipper socks... on one of the lousiest trails in the area. Here are some shots of what is loosely referred to as "the trail"
It wastes no time going up and along the way we found some early huckleberries (a bit tart, but nice to see!)
First fruits!
First fruits!
The waterfall has no water anymore so if you're bringing a dog bring enough water for 'em. Since Zach is getting on in years (he's 11 now) we had to take a few extra breaks. He's finally figured out how to find the shady spots .
Enjoying a little shade
Enjoying a little shade
Continuing up, the views open up (and you can see Zach was enjoying himself too)
the Zachster, loving the hike
the Zachster, loving the hike
With all the breaks we made it up in a little less than 3 hours and had the place to ourselves for about 10 minutes. We were joined by several nice folks and spent about an hour soaking in the views. The bugs are definitely there but this year I'm not hesitating to use the deet...it really works! Here are some summit views...
Summit view (Snow Lake)
Summit view (Snow Lake)
Summit view
Summit view
Family photo
Family photo
And here are the amazing socks that got me up and back WITHOUT any blisters.
Nice hiking socks, eh?
Nice hiking socks, eh?
I'm going to have to get some more of those... Here are some shots of the descent
View of Snoqualmie Pass area
View of Snoqualmie Pass area
A very fun trip, and Zach is sleeping hard as I write this report. smile.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Elliott Haybaler

Elliott Haybaler
PostSun Jul 29, 2007 12:22 am 
Hi Zachster: Nice shots. My brother and I saw you on our way down. Very polite, obedient dog you have there. Hope he got some good treats at the summit. Happy trails...... -RD

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSun Jul 29, 2007 9:45 am 
RD...nice to meet you! I suspect that what you saw as "polite and obedient" was actaully a fair bit of exhaustion on his part! He definitely got plenty of good boy treats and we found a shady spot for him. See ya out there!

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostSun Jul 29, 2007 10:05 am 
Cool socks smile.gif I have some like that, but never tried wearing them hiking though hmmm.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostSun Jul 29, 2007 10:53 am 
Zachster, I was up on Snoqualmie Mtn yesterday also! In fact, I talked to your wife for just a few seconds. I was hiking solo on the ascent when you were descending a short ways above the dry stream crossing. I asked her about the way trail in front of us because a bit earlier I heard someone coming toward me and found a spot next to the trail so he could pass. I waited several minutes but he disappeared. I figured he took the way trail but was curious enough about it to ask the two of you. Great to meet you guys! There are some updates from when TNAB summited a few weeks ago: -The trail is 1.85 miles up and you ascend 3,200'. That's almost a 33% gradient - steeper than Mailbox Peak! My GPS clocked 3.7 miles RT and never lost its signal (thanks to the new SIRF III chip). -The TH, which used to be hidden by bushes, used to be the subject of much beta providing details on how to find it. This is no longer necessary. The first 400-500' of trail is clearcut. It looks like Alpental is building a new Bunny Slope on it for next winter. -The benchmark on top is gone. The rock it was set in fractured some time ago and the brass cap was knocked loose. The only reference mark to it is still intact. Benchmarking.com -The trail is snow free. The only snow fields left are on the north face and SE draw. -Black flies were pretty bad but mosquitoes were only evident near the summit. Occasional breezes kept the bugs under control.
Route to the summit with waypoints
Route to the summit with waypoints
Silver Peak backed by her big brother
Silver Peak backed by her big brother
I saw a mountain goat at the summit. He ran within 20' of me while I was setting my pack down. I think I was keeping him from the better grazing fields.
A friend of the trail
A friend of the trail
Crampons?  Mtn Goats don't need no stinkin' crampons!
Crampons? Mtn Goats don't need no stinkin' crampons!
Granite Mtn from summit with upper chairlift of Alpental in foreground
Granite Mtn from summit with upper chairlift of Alpental in foreground
Glacier Peak in the clouds with Big Snow Mtn taking up the view.
Glacier Peak in the clouds with Big Snow Mtn taking up the view.
Preacher Mtn with Wright Mtn in foreground
Preacher Mtn with Wright Mtn in foreground
Panoramas looking east and west
Alpine lakes pano
Alpine lakes pano
The Snoqualmie Range spans across the view west
The Snoqualmie Range spans across the view west
Heavy use of Agent Orange near the trailhead. lol.gif
The new TH with Guye Peak in background
The new TH with Guye Peak in background
Me and the view to the south
Me and the view to the south

Footprints on the sands of time will never be made sitting down.
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSun Jul 29, 2007 6:36 pm 
MtnDog...I am "the wife"! winksmile.gif Nice to meet you too! Wow, 2 nwhikers on the same day...we should have called for a social on Snoqualmie! cheers.gif Thanks for the stats, I didn't realize it was less than 2 miles. Geesh. That explains alot! By the way, I shot a picture of the benchmark...it's located on the farthest edge of the northern-most (true?) summit. One step further north would be terminal... eek.gif
snoqualmie benchmark
snoqualmie benchmark

Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostSun Jul 29, 2007 8:58 pm 
My bad! embarassedlaugh.gif So it's Ms. Zachster then! I loved your "family photo," very nice. The pic you have is of the Reference Mark. It says so on the right side of the disk and all reference marks have an arrow pointing in the direction of the benchmark. This one also has the name of the benchmark that it references and also the year it was installed. Many of them just have #1 or #2 on them. I set my trekking pole down on it in the direction it pointed but all I found was part of the cement that held the benchmark in place at one time. Benchmarks are either points of known elevation or triangulation stations. Triangulation stations have a triangle and a point in the center of it. The rock the benchmark used to occupy is in the foreground of this picture and the reference mark, as you know, is further in the background on the rocky point. The photo is looking north and you're right, that north face is a sheer dropoff! I sat down to take a photo of the reference mark.
Vicinity of benchmark and reference mark
Vicinity of benchmark and reference mark
This picture shows the remaining cement and even part of the shaft hole that held the post of the benchmark's brass disk. The coords on my GPSr virtually match the coords on file with USGS. The reference mark wouldn't match, it's too far north.
Coords match benchmark remains
Coords match benchmark remains
Did you see the mountain goat while you were up there? He was long gone after he crossed that snowfield and by then it was 2:30 PM.

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSun Jul 29, 2007 9:14 pm 
MtnDog :thanks for the info on benchmarks...I never knew the difference. And we missed the goat! I'm surprised you got to see him because there was fairly steady traffic up there. Good for you!

Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostSun Jul 29, 2007 9:20 pm 
I counted 21 people on the hike. Two different pairs of hikers never summited though one pair did get within 1,000' of the top. Another lone hiker and I were left alone once a group of four left and the mtn goat came by while he was climbing that rocky point to the east. He never saw it either because it traversed directly underneath him. I'm so glad I had my zoom lens! I wasn't fast enough with the DSLR when he was tromping right by me.