Forum Index > Trail Talk > FS-74 Washout
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostThu Aug 08, 2019 1:55 pm 
Thanks Hiker John for getting that scoop from the USFS. Not sure how concrete would be any problem for the fishies. I think the stranded bridge is a rather impressive artifact.....it would be sort of like the towering trestle remains above Cavanaugh Creek. (Whatcom Co.)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Phobos
Phobos

Phobos
Phobos
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 6:37 pm 
Just returned from backpacking the west side of the WFWR. The bridge has been completely removed, along with the temporary damn. Contractors are now removing the pavement on 74. As for the east side, it’s almost fully reclaimed. Only made it a little past Viola Creek. The bridge there is completely washed out. After that the roads (74 and 7430) have been completely reclaimed by the forest. Was trying for Clear West Peak. It will take days to get there now. But it was beautiful and pristine out there.

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 8:30 pm 
How did you get across the river?

Phobos
Phobos

Phobos
Phobos
PostMon Aug 26, 2019 6:53 am 
Spent nearly 3 hours scouting and finally crossing the river. Found a location where the river was separated into 4 sections.

Owler

Owler
PostSat Aug 15, 2020 5:35 pm 
Did a gravel Bike ride heading up past the washout and up to Haller Pass. Bridge is totally removed and as hiker John said the road had been stripped back to where to intersects with NF 75. I’m wondering how challenging walking up the river bed would be to get to the Northern Loops Trail. Distance wise it doesn’t seem crazy (especially if you could use the forest road on the west side of the river, but who knows the condition) and the river bed does seem pretty wide ... at least at the washout. However , it does like it gets narrow at points. Probably not worth the effort but just a thought... Hiker John did I see you driving up at Haller Pass? Saw a USFS truck and thought it might have been you!

HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostSun Aug 16, 2020 2:26 pm 
Owler wrote:
Hiker John did I see you driving up at Haller Pass? Saw a USFS truck and thought it might have been you!
Not me, unfortunately. All the volunteers have been put "off-duty" due to COVID-19. So some of us continue to go hike, pick up garbage, etc, but not wearing uniforms or in USFS trucks....

RatSuey
Wood Wizard

RatSuey
Wood Wizard
PostFri May 28, 2021 12:13 pm 
Thanks everyone for the info. I used it to take a trip up there on 05/15/21. I parked at the gate and the road is bike able to the junction with 75 (besides maybe the first washout. Since 75 is still snowed in at the top this is the only real way in to 7550. Then I went up the short section of 75 to 7550 which could be biked for a majority of the road before it completely deteriorates at the end. There is a steep down hill to the park boundary and from there is is a bush wack to the N loop trail. Van Horn falls did not disappoint. All in all 26.5 mile roundtrip. Hope this helps some people out attempting the same thing. I think this is a new favorite early season trip for me.
First washout
75 Junction to 74
7550, how it starts
7550 how it ends
Van Horn Falls

LookForFood
Always alone

LookForFood
Always alone
PostSun Sep 26, 2021 10:22 am 
I was up here yesterday on the west side of white river. Using the Hancock pass coming in on Rd 80 aka the mysterious locked gate across from 70. I was mostly rambling in my vehicle and I eventually ended up on West Martin gap road from the backside (coming down from the forestry roads to the north). Was unable to continue by vehicle to Viola Creek/75 due to the road being washed out and completely overgrown. Was unaware the bridge was out. Will continue exploring the area another time.

Owler

Owler
PostSun Sep 26, 2021 7:50 pm 
Did Hancock open up the White River area? I thought they had that closed off for a while. Also, I am pretty sure that is Muckleshoot land...do they just leave it to Hancock who manages it for them?

LookForFood
Always alone

LookForFood
Always alone
PostSun Sep 26, 2021 8:32 pm 
It is open now, they just opened all the white river land on Sept 24th 2021. I was driving on muckleshoot land most of the time. It's labeled as muckleshoot federal corporation which is distinct from muckleshoot indian tribe land. There didn't seem to be any noticable difference. I will point out that this road is new, and wasn't connected until recently.
I'm not sure why they put the effort in to build a new road, because once you get into the martins gap area you're pretty much stuck.

Martin S

Martin S
PostMon Sep 27, 2021 12:48 pm 
Last week I drove the FS-75 road over Haller Pass and down to the site where the bridge used to be. Waded across the river and pushed my bike up the FS-74 road to Martin Gap. The first mile was in bad shape with brush, deadfall, and washouts, but after the 2835 elevation switchback where LooksForFood got stopped when driving down from above, the road quality improved and it was ridable all the way to Martin Gap. From there the old trail up Frog Mtn is still easy to follow although it obviously hasn't seen much use in the last 15 years. Great place to find some solitude. Tip on the river crossing: You can check this site to get an idea of relative water levels. When we crossed it was showing around 500 cfs and the crossing was a bit under knee deep. It could get sketchy trying to cross with the flow any higher, and it's rarely that low, so plan your visit carefully.

"nothing's for certain" took the elevator down while "anything can happen" climbed the stairs - Ryszard Krynicki

RichP
crock

crock
PostMon Oct 04, 2021 5:21 pm 
LookForFood wrote:
It is open now, they just opened all the white river land on Sept 24th 2021. I was driving on muckleshoot land most of the time. It's labeled as muckleshoot federal corporation which is distinct from muckleshoot indian tribe land. There didn't seem to be any noticable difference. I will point out that this road is new, and wasn't connected until recently.
I'm not sure why they put the effort in to build a new road, because once you get into the martins gap area you're pretty much stuck.
Any ideas whether this new road will be permanent, or is this just temporary for a few weeks or months? It looks like the road was built on both sides of the property boundary between Forest Service and Muckleshoot/Hancock land so it must have been a collaboration between the two land owners. To me that implies this is a permanent access to that area.

LookForFood
Always alone

LookForFood
Always alone
PostMon Oct 04, 2021 9:06 pm 
If I was going to make an educate guess yea. It's a pretty substantial and powerful road and it's the only way to drive to martin's gap right now.