Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostMon Jan 07, 2019 10:05 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
I am looking hard at the RadCity bike, which would really suit my needs. I think I could use it on logging roads around the Olympic Peninsula, though primarily I want it to use around town. I like that fenders and a rear rack comes with the price. Price is an important part of the equation, but reliability is also important. I have seen several RadRovers in town as well. The local bike shop is a Specialized dealer and has some very nice Specialized e-bikes. They all have the motor at the crank, whereas the Rad Cycles have a rear hub motor. Unfortunately the Specialized is way more expensive. Rumi
I went through the same decision process. I love the mainstream manufacturer's mid-drive bikes, Specialized, Giant, etc but they are too pricey for my budget. I looked at startup and cottage e-bike manufacturers but was unsure of long distance support if anything went wrong. The "build your own" mid-drive option was enticing as they are very capable and you can get just what you want. But you still need a donor bike and for the kit I wanted it was close to $900 and you still have to build it out. In the end, I bought a RAD Rover and have been happy with it for logging road use and around town. Eventually I'll go the "build your own" route but for now I'm having a great time with the Rover. And RAD has been great for my support questions. ~Slim BTW - there's a deal on this BBSHD mid-drive kit at Luna Cycle https://lunacycle.com/bbshd-kit-special/

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jan 08, 2019 12:29 am 
Most of those name brand mid-drive bikes are made for the EU market and hence castrated by the EU e-bike regs. Waste of money for the power you get. I wish lunacycles would embrace the newer torque sensing motors (Bafang Ultra and M600). Over a year ago they announced the ridiculously priced Apex but I don't think they're making them any more. https://lunacycle.com/luna-apex/ They also claimed to building another Bafang Ultra based bike called the Apollo but it has been MIA for over a year. lunacycles seem to have gotten sidetracked with marketing the Sur-Ron. There is a company in China called Frey that has been putting out some nice Ultra based bikes. They are pricey though, even more so now with Trump's 25% e-bike tariff. It's not an ideal time to be buying e-bikes made in China.

Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostTue Jan 08, 2019 10:26 pm 
Those Ultra's look nice but seems like you need a custom frame which is a big commitment if you're going the build-your-own route. But I imagine you get better balance that way. And it looks like it's part of the bike rather than just something bolted on to it. ~Slim

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jan 08, 2019 11:16 pm 
The ultra is overkill IMHO and the bikes I've seen are heavy (60+ pounds). I'm more interested in the M600 which still has plenty of power but lighter. With a carbon fiber frame you can get the weight under 50 pounds. Basically something like this on alibaba: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/27-5-Inch-Carborn-48V-11_60819879127.html I inquired how much 1 would cost but they didn't seem interested in shipping just 1 bike. I'm guessing it's still a prototype.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Jan 12, 2019 9:37 am 
As far a bikes go, that's a good looking bike. That Ubco is an electric motorcycle as far as Im concerned. Id get one of those carriers that attach to the tow hitch on my Liberty.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Jan 12, 2019 1:44 pm 
I think the UBCO people intend it as a motorcycle, down to being licensed for city streets.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Jan 12, 2019 6:36 pm 
Tom wrote:
The ultra is overkill IMHO and the bikes I've seen are heavy (60+ pounds). I'm more interested in the M600 which still has plenty of power but lighter. With a carbon fiber frame you can get the weight under 50 pounds. Basically something like this on alibaba: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/27-5-Inch-Carborn-48V-11_60819879127.html I inquired how much 1 would cost but they didn't seem interested in shipping just 1 bike. I'm guessing it's still a prototype.
A lot of people have been buying open mold Chinese CF frames and happy with them. The consensus is to buy the frame from a reputable manufacture who's been in business for years. If the frame fails at speed you could wind up needing a reconstructive dentist.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Jan 12, 2019 7:02 pm 
Would be a concern with aluminum too. From what I've read better to buy CF than aluminum from China. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=94960&p=1402754#p1403956 But yeah, the manufacturer of that CF frame (Dengfu) is fairly well regarded.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Feb 22, 2019 7:19 pm 
Finally seeing some bikes with Bafang's M600 motor from US distributors. This one looks semi-decent for logging road use:
https://flx.bike/collections/bikes/products/trail $2,724 with touring configuration (Cargo Rack, Front and Rear Fenders, Suspension Seatpost, Comfort Seat, Smartphone Mount, Integrated Headlight and Taillight), throttle, and larger capacity battery. Weight is reportedly ~46 lbs but I'm guessing that doesn't include battery. A good 10 pounds lighter than the FLX Blade with "Ultra" motor.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Feb 26, 2019 6:53 am 
Thanks Tom. I appreciate you doing the research. That's looks great its a great price too. Wow that's a great range under full power. Im surprised. Speed adjustable to your local regulations. Didn't know that existed. That bike has gotten some really great reviews too.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Feb 26, 2019 8:22 am 
Tom, I am very interested in getting an electric mountain bike too. Thanks for your research. What do you think of this Trek model with the Bosch motor? Pros and Cons? https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/mountain-bikes/electric-mountain-bikes/powerfly/powerfly-hardtail/powerfly-5/p/23180/?colorCode=black

Art is an adventure.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Feb 26, 2019 8:25 am 
Stefan, seems like your get more for your money with the bike Tom posted....

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Feb 26, 2019 10:44 am 
Stefan, looks to be about 50 pounds. It's going to be castrated by the EU e-bike regs. The motor is rated "500W" and puts out 75 newton meters torque. Compare to the Bafang M600 which is rated "350/500W" and puts out 120 newton meters torque (60% more raw power in the trenches). The M600 can also be equipped with throttle. I suspect Bosch engineers might be fibbing the specs a little (ala what volkswagen did to satisfy the regs) so may have more torque than is stated, but guessing it's unlikely to have the kind of power you'll see in the M600. You will get a much higher quality bike for your $4K though.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Feb 26, 2019 10:51 am 
Does that mean that you question the quality of the FLX bikes Tom. Or, is the Trek naturally that much better a product?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Feb 26, 2019 11:09 am 
Yes, you're getting a Chinese built bike from FLX, Volton, Rad Power, M2S, etc. Some may spec higher quality components than others but to keep cost down they're going to be entry-mid level components on a handful of Chinese frames. Lunacycles is the notable exception as they add motors to name brand (Giant, KHS) non e-bikes but can't do that with the newer M600 and Ultra motors which require a custom frame to fit the motor.