Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Sep 28, 2019 11:25 pm 
Tom wrote:
Got the X1 mostly assembled. Now just need the weather to cooperate.
I bet that would be faster if you added some red. Looks pretty sweet though. How do you like the long wheelbase?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Sep 28, 2019 11:50 pm 
Sounds like you are referring to the distance between the front and rear wheels which might be longer on this style of frame? I ordered a medium which is technically a size small for me at 6' but it actually feels pretty comfortable. I went out and test rode a Specialized Turbo Levo Comp today to compare motor noise. https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-levo-comp/p/170517?color=273883-170517 It is almost twice the cost of the X1 and less power, but surprisingly zippy for a 250W (nominal) motor and near silent (I'd say on par with the noise on my BBS01, if not a little quieter). The torque sensing also seemed more refined. I don't think I'll be throwing money at a Turbo Levo, but it gave me a glimpse of what the X1 could have been. I've pretty much decided the X1 is going back due to the loud motor.

neek

neek
PostSun Sep 29, 2019 5:23 am 
JPH wrote:
This summer we rarely drove anywhere in town when it was just me and the kids, family bike everywhere.
That's possibly the best argument yet. Also if you're doing per-mile car insurance (or manage to ditch the car altogether) you could save a lot of money with the right setup. Tried the radrunner yesterday. It's cheap ($1300) so I wasn't expecting much, and is more like a tiny scooter with pedals. But you can put a passenger on the back, or outfit it to carry a fair amount of stuff. It was surprisingly fun to ride but struggled on a hill that wasn't even that steep. I like the simplicity of a single-speed though. Clearly not a trail bike but my use case is more grocery-getting and kid-transporting, with only the occasional bike-hike. Their longtail (radwagon) was clunky and handled poorly in comparison. Motor noise was noticeable but not annoying. Assist takes about a second to kick in and is abrupt, so the twist-throttle is useful for starting. So I dunno. Still not really sold on the idea. (My tendency to overthink might be annoying, but it's saved me a lot of money over the years.) The exercise thing...simple physics, if you're riding the same distance, you're going to work less the more help you have. Unless you have the assist set so low it doesn't even compensate for the extra weight of the bike, which would be silly. But obviously it's not that simple, since the e-bike would likely affect the overall distance you traveled by bike. The question is, would this distance increase enough to compensate for the assist. In my case I think the answer is no, but it could be very different for others. Tom, bummer about the X1. It's a nice looking machine.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Sep 29, 2019 8:43 am 
neek wrote:
The exercise thing...simple physics, if you're riding the same distance, you're going to work less the more help you have.
I think that the perspective of someone that already has a positive association with exercise and a decent level of fitness. I know someone for whom an eBike has made a huge change in how much exercise they get. Their work commute and shopping commute included enough hills that they were intimidated from using a pedal only bike. But an eBike removed "fear of hills" as a barrier. Riding their eBike for their daily commute and errands instead of using their car certainly improved their fitness. I think it's not just about the number of calories burned on an individual ride, but one needs t0 to consider how many rides one makes make per week.

JPH

JPH
PostSun Sep 29, 2019 9:18 am 
neek wrote:
The exercise thing...simple physics, if you're riding the same distance, you're going to work less the more help you have.
That's true if you just look at a specific ride. For me it enables biking at times that I would otherwise be car bound. Specifically when I have the kids with me (and especially school drop off and the commute afterwards).

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Sep 29, 2019 11:42 am 
Tom wrote:
Sounds like you are referring to the distance between the front and rear wheels which might be longer on this style of frame? I ordered a medium which is technically a size small for me at 6' but it actually feels pretty comfortable.
Yeah, sorry for not being more clear. There's been a trend over the last few years of spacing the wheels a little further apart, to make a bike feel more stable on bad dirt roads - washboards and such.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Sep 29, 2019 2:34 pm 
You get as much exercise as you want to get. You can adjust the power. This bike This bike gives me more of a workout than the Rad. I guess it is because it is more comfortable to ride and also more like an acoustic bike. The gears seem to matter more. I've never owned such a comfy bike. It is a pleasant surprise. My farthest ride on it so far has been 30 miles and I used about half the battery. I cranked up the power on the way back as I was on one of the busier roads and wanted to get that part over with. I either lock it up while going into stores, or I bring it IN the store if a bike rack is not handy. Luckily, I don't think Omakians are very interested in bikes but I did register it on a site where you can prelist your bike, then if it gets stolen, report it and they already have the serial number and a photo of the bike. Sounds like they've been able to return a few bikes that were on their list. Here is a link. https://project529.com/garage/users/sign_in As far as a workout goes, simply adjust the power assist to where you want it. As a park ranger mentioned, (we were talking about our Rads) he can ride with his kid and if his knees start bothering, he can make it home OK by adjusting the power level or just going with the throttle. Rads have throttles and can be ridden without pedaling. That method drains the battery faster. If you really want a hard workout, get a Rad and turn off the power.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Sep 29, 2019 2:58 pm 
TW, curious how quiet your Bosch motor is? From what I've read the Bosch tend to be on the noisier side. I was very impressed with the Brose motor on the 2020 Specialized Turbo Levo Comp I test rode yesterday. Virtually silent and very smooth delivery. Also, there is no resistance from the motor if you pedal without power.
I think it was Cyclopath asking about whether you can track watts you are putting out. From that review it sounds like you might be able to. Pretty impressive what the apps can do.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSun Sep 29, 2019 8:10 pm 
I've had a 2018 Specialized Turbo Vado for about a month now. I think it's the same Brose motor that's used in the Levo but with a more city/road style frame and higher gearing. It is definitely quieter than the Bosch motors in the Trek and Cannondale bikes I test rode. It also felt the most natural for shifting to me. Biggest downside is of course the price. I was able to get this one on a clearance sale at Greggs, bringing it down to the same price as the X1. It's definitely not a hardcore trail bike but that's not what I bought it for. It's a car replacement for pretty much everything but going to the mountains. Exercise wise, I think it ended up being a wash for me. I already bike commute every day and use my bike for shorter trips and light grocery runs. Now I'm able to ride further and carry more groceries. I've also biked from Seattle to Renton and back four times now to watch Seahawks games, about 40 miles round trip. I track everything with my Garmin watch and I'm not raising my heart rate that much so it's more of a low-output, long duration type of exercise. Aside from hauling a 50lb bike up three flights of stairs. Too bad about the Luna bike, it seemed really promising. Have you looked at anything from Bulls?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Sep 29, 2019 8:14 pm 
I have tendinitis in my ankle, I can't pedal, and miss riding. I would love to have an ebike right now. I also see a lot of utility for things like groceries. For miles in any direction of downtown, you can walk faster than you can drive during rush hour which is like 2-6 pm. Plus, for anything but groceries, parking is so much easier with a bike than a car. And I'd like to do Three Fingers, but not the road walk.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSun Sep 29, 2019 8:22 pm 
Cyclopath, assuming your ankle gets better, you should have little problem with the road up to Three Fingers trailhead. Ree made it nearly the whole way without walking, and I made it all the way. Since you ride a lot, I'd think you can do it without electrickitty.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Sep 30, 2019 7:37 am 
Tom wrote:
TW, curious how quiet your Bosch motor is? From what I've read the Bosch tend to be on the noisier side. I was very impressed with the Brose motor on the 2020 Specialized Turbo Levo Comp I test rode yesterday. Virtually silent and very smooth delivery. Also, there is no resistance from the motor if you pedal without power.
Tom, the Bosch is quiet. The Gazelle is very quiet. That was one of the reasons I bought it. My Radmini isn't all that noisy, except for the brakes seem to squeak. I'm on the third set of rear brake pads on it now. My friend has had trouble with her Radmini and the company sent her a new Bafang motor to try. It makes sounds like a fan at times. I tried out a top of the line brand--a Reese and Mueller. It seemed heavy and not as comfy as the Gazelle. It was also very quiet. I don't think the Gazelle Arroyo would do for going up to trailheads but who knows? It is a Dutch style bike and sitting upright does not make my wrists hurt and my hands go numb. No hand problems at all on the 30 mile ride.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
neek

neek
PostMon Sep 30, 2019 7:52 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
I think that the perspective of someone that already has a positive association with exercise and a decent level of fitness.
That's it exactly. An ebike is going to be a bridge to fitness or to laziness, depending on your starting point and disposition. I fear it would be the latter for myself.
RandyHiker wrote:
I think it's not just about the number of calories burned on an individual ride, but one needs t0 to consider how many rides one makes make per week.
Right, and the intensity. If you're not pushing the heart rate, you're just doing maintenance.
treeswarper wrote:
If you really want a hard workout, get a Rad and turn off the power.
Sure, but it would be cheaper to put a couple cinder blocks in my panniers. Or just go further. Sounds like mid-drive is the way to go--the correct engineering solution, if you will. If I could find something like the Runner (i.e. compact and passenger-capable) that was affordable and had a mid-drive, I might go for it. But I'm not aware of such a thing. Also the price on these things is still prohibitive; the bikes you guys are linking to look great but cost more than I could get for my car (which is overall much more capable). Ebikes should be affordable since you don't care about a few extra pounds from using cheaper materials. Seems like the market is still trying to shake itself out. But much further along than it was just a few years ago. I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic. I love the idea of ebikes and imagine a world where we're all zipping around in them instead of 3000 pound WMDs that seem to bring out the worst in us. The trend seems positive and it's great to have a forum like this with insight from folks who know what they're talking about.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Sep 30, 2019 11:33 am 
I don't think it will make a fit person lazy. With fewer excuses not to ride, it gives you more incentive to ride. You can get there faster, you don't have to worry as much about hills, and it's more fun to ride. Just one of many articles: https://www.bicycling.com/news/a28819663/e-bike-fitness-levels-study/ Funniest comment from that aritcle:
Quote:
Q: What is a “serious cyclist”? A: They don't smile or wave.

JPH

JPH
PostMon Sep 30, 2019 11:40 am 
Tom wrote:
I don't think it will make a fit person lazy. With fewer excuses not to ride, it gives you more incentive to ride. You can get there faster, you don't have to worry as much about hills, and it's more fun to ride. Just one of many articles: https://www.bicycling.com/news/a28819663/e-bike-fitness-levels-study/
Agreed. I use it when appropriate, it doesn't replace my other bikes. If I'm going out for a ride on Saturday morning, I take my regular old road bike or mountain bike (if I've got time). 80%-90% of my rides on the e-bike replace car trips, not other bike trips. Don't let perfection be the enemy of good.