Forum Index > Gear Talk > Electric Bikes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Feb 18, 2020 12:21 pm 
Someone on EBR mentioned you can get another $50 off if you click to make a lower offer. I didn't want to risk the bikes selling out again. FWIW, the higher priced Gravel is only sold in a single size frame (19.75" Seat Tube Length, 21" Reach, 29.75" Stand Over Height). It's marketed as a fitness e-bike as the assist will fall off over 100 RPM cadence on these motors.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Feb 18, 2020 11:47 pm 
Someone that bought last week posted a pic of their bike on EBR. I'm not generally a fan of bright colors but I think they actually look pretty nice. The two I bought last night already shipped and should arrive Thursday.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Feb 19, 2020 12:45 pm 
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Feb 20, 2020 10:53 am 
Meanwhile, I've ridden my nerdy looking Gazelle on dirt and in a bit of mud. I try to avoid mud. I'm liking it even more. On Tuesday, I was riding it towards Conconully when I checked the time. I turned around 5 miles short and rode back home as I had to get ready for rehearsal that evening. Conconully is feasible though. I didn't use up much battery, according to the display and most of the ride up was with a headwind. I was in granny gear and level 4, Sport for the longest grade. No turbo required. Had to stop a few times and stretch. I will make it to Conconully soon. Maybe on a warmer day though. When I got home, I was wishing for a sauna. For the naysayers, I felt like I had a hell of a workout. I was huffing and puffing and pedaling hard to get up the hills. There are more studies out there proving that class 1 ebikes are just a bit less of a workout than an acoustical bike. Here is my bike loading and transport method. I made a rack that fits in my pickup out of PVC pipe. I've never worked with pvc before so it is kind of messy. I use motorcycle tie downs also.
This is up in the Cameron Lakes area where I can ride my bike and run the dog. On a busy day, and it was, maybe 4 vehicles will go by.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Feb 20, 2020 8:44 pm 
The 2018 BH Easy Motion Rebel Lite ebikes from Bicycle Blue Book arrived today. Brand new in box. I have a fancier ebike on order from Frey but decided to pick these up to have a backup or two and for friends that might want to borrow or tag along. Really impressed so far with the quality. Above average components including hydraulic brakes. For $777 ($727 if you risk submitting a lower offer before they sell out) plus $150 shipping these are an absolute steal. Only a few medium bikes left (large is sold out)! Batteries indicated empty when I first plugged them in but hopefully was just in a deep sleep mode to preserve longevity. They charged pretty fast so I think this was the case.
I ordered a large 27.5 (orange) and a medium 29er (blue). Even though I am 6' I think I may end up preferring the medium 29er. After raising the seat to the same crank distance on both bikes I noticed the handlebars were the same height relative to the seat but the reach is about 1.25" shorter on the medium 29er. I actually prefer a more upright position so this may suit me better. I guess I'll find out on my first ride tomorrow. The medium 29er also has 2" more standover clearance but I probably wouldn't recommend it if you are much taller than 6' as I am less than an inch from the maximum extension of the seatpost.
Edit: Just weighted the bikes. Both are just over 48 lbs with battery and pedals.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Feb 21, 2020 5:46 am 
Nice Tom. I wonder how these will perform compared to the Frey?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Feb 21, 2020 3:11 pm 
The Frey will have 2-3x the power (similar to your Blade with the Ultra motor). I got it more for long rides, running errands, etc. i think these inexpensive bikes will work just fine on fire roads. Just took the bikes out on a ride around the neighborhood. I could probably make the Medium 29er work for me at 6' but the seat post was at max extension and the reach did feel a little short. I preferred the ride of the 29" tires and the blue color, but I'll probably stick with the original plan of the Large 27.5" for me and the 29er for wife / friends to tag along. Other impressions: Brakes: on the squishy side, a bit underwhelmed but perhaps they need to break in Motor resistance: minimal, could easily ride these bikes without power on flats 100 RPM cadence limit: didn't notice it a all (probably more an issue for road bikes at higher speeds) Speed cutoff: The 20mph cutoff seems to fade in gradually, not abrupt like some class 1 motors (not that I'll be riding this as a commuter) Motor noise: pretty quiet, not whisper quiet like my BBS01 but no complaints Seat: not soft, but my backside didn't complain while riding Torque sensing: initially felt a bit too responsive but liked it better as I rode Gear mashing: I found it a challenge at times to shift without mashing the gears. My BBS01 has brake sensors which makes it easier to cut power when shifting. Probably just need to get used to the torque sensing power delivery and fade. Motor power: Adequate. Rode in medium and high most of the time. Seems to have about the same power as my BBS01. Battery: Rode up a 600' hill on my way home in medium to high assist pedaling reasonably hard (albeit out of shape). Battery went from 95% to 78%. Not bad compared to my 54 year old ticker which was spent! Overall: You can probably find a more capable eMTB if you spend 2-3x the money, but no hesitation recommending these at the $777 price point for casual off road riding.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Feb 21, 2020 4:45 pm 
You can dial in a bike's reach by changing your stem for a longer/shorter one. It takes about two minutes to do, and a take off costs about $10 at a bike shop. You can even get adjustable ones. (You can only add so much without redoing the cables though.) Fabric makes great saddles, their "Scoop" is very comfortable.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Feb 21, 2020 5:58 pm 
Right, was mostly pointing out that you can make the medium 29er work even if you are taller than 5' 10". The large is sold out. If you are on the shorter side I would suggest the medium 27.5" due to the shorter stack.

vroc38

vroc38
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 9:22 am 
Actually, the Gravel-X bikes on bicyclebluebook.com are a bit different than what I see elsewhere, and what was reviewed on EBR. They have the PW-SE motors and PW-X displays and remotes. The PW-SE assists up to 110 RMP IIRC. You can identify the PW-SE motor by the red Yamaha logo. Bought one yesterday to complement a Rebel 27.5+ PW-X hardtail, which turned out to be a truly spectacular bike.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 12:17 pm 
Nice, did you confirm with Bicycle Blue Book about the motor and display? Interesting that EBR reviewed the Gravel in 2018 and Bicycle Blue Book lists them as 2018 model year but pictured with the SE motor and display. Seems you are correct looking at some of the images posted by someone that bought one: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/show-us-pictures-of-where-you-ride-your-ebikes.23950/page-107#post-238955

vroc38

vroc38
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 3:43 pm 
I did confirm with them that the bikes are as pictured. I saw another Gravel-X from another source for sale with the PW-SE, but all others have been PW.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 4:44 pm 
Very cool. If anyone is interested in the Gravel X (ahem Cyclopath, seems up your alley) they are countering at $870 if you submit a lower offer. Sounds like the weight is closer to 40 pounds.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 9:56 pm 
Well, I was going to buy a FREY CC e-bike. I always wanted two bikes. Doesnt help to have just one if youre going hiking/biking with another person. LOL, same reason I have four Curtis Rafts. I saw a recent post (on another forum) by Tom about the new FLX Blade 2.0. Well heck, I have a Blade 1.0 and l love it. So, I pre-ordered a Blade 2.0. I have a feeling shes gonna be a screamer.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Feb 23, 2020 12:20 am 
Nice bike. I was tempted to pre-order one but figured it would be counterproductive to getting more exercise. clown.gif I heard after doing some jumps the demo bike took a spill and the next day the belt snapped. I've read the belts require a minimum level of tension so be sure to look it over and inspect things if you ever take a spill.