Forum Index > Gear Talk > Electric Bikes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Apr 17, 2020 7:09 am 
If you're not going to use a tender to keep the battery voltage up and also desulfate the plates Id remove the negative terminal for the extended period of time you're not using the vehicle.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Apr 20, 2020 9:40 pm 
I just put a speed sensor on my rear hub. Anybody in here use one? Does your computer (Garmin, Wahoo, etc) recompute the wheel circumference every ride? Different air pressure is going to change that.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Apr 20, 2020 9:41 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
If you're not going to use a tender to keep the battery voltage up and also desulfate the plates Id remove the negative terminal for the extended period of time you're not using the vehicle.
That's a good idea! Thanks. smile.gif

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon Apr 20, 2020 10:55 pm 
I got a speed sensor so I could use my dumb trainer. It supposedly adjusts based on gps. I think that happens n the head unit. Now I have a smart trainer and use Zwift when raining, but that’s another story.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Apr 21, 2020 7:04 am 
I have pedals, brakes, gears and the basic e-bike readout. That's all I need. Oh, and my mirror.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
call-151

call-151
PostTue Apr 21, 2020 1:24 pm 
I have a speed sensor, when setting up the bike I had to measure the wheel and put the parameter in somewhere. I haven't measured it against GPS speed but it seems pretty close. For total ride distance I depend on GPS rather than the odometer on the bike.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue Apr 21, 2020 3:30 pm 
I've had speed sensors twice and gone without most of the time. The only problem without is in heavy trees (or maybe in the concrete canyons of a big city). Then the satellites don't reach the head unit and it gets corn-fused.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Apr 21, 2020 8:52 pm 
I actually trust GPS more than a speed sensor. If the head unit misses a packet or the battery starts dying, it reads zero. I stopped using a wheel revolution sensor a decade ago because of that. Plus speed/distance isn't very important. GPS is plenty good enough for me. But I'd like to do some aerodynamic testing, and GPS isn't precise enough for that.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Apr 26, 2020 11:07 am 
My car battery is dead again. Drove it a few days ago. It's getting to be an older car (2013 Subaru Legacy), time to replace the battery. Anything I need to know about buying a new one? I know a bit about bikes, but very little about cars. In bike related news, I just ordered a radar unit. I'm going to use mine with a wrist watch.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Apr 26, 2020 11:48 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
My car battery is dead again.
How old is the battery? I usually figure 4 years is a good replacement interval for those that don't want to worry about the car starting at a lonely trailhead after a multiday hike. If your car ends up being parked for long periods of time (weeks) getting a trickle charger to keep the battery topped up is useful. Older cars can sometimes develop "a drain" a draw of current that runs the battery down when it isn't driven frequently. One can spend a ton of time diagnosing and repairing such a problem -- or install a "battery cut off switch" to isolate the battery from the car's circuitry. You'll lose the radio presets and the clock setting every time you turn off the battery this way -- annoying, but less annoying than jump starting.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSun Apr 26, 2020 1:03 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Anything I need to know about buying a new one? I know a bit about bikes, but very little about cars.
I bought my last battery at Costco. They'll look up what make and model you have to make sure they sell the correct battery. I installed it myself, it was very easy. If you go that route you pay a disposal fee up front which is refunded when you return the dead battery for recycling.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Apr 26, 2020 2:02 pm 
I've had great luck with batteries. I had one last 12 years so replaced it with another Delco battery. I think I got 10 years with a Subaru and 7 on another. I don't think I ever had to have any battery jumped. Maybe that's the secret? The other replacement was Interstate brand and the car wore out before it did. I also have an Interstate deep cell in my little trailer. It's an easy brand to find and supposedly good.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Apr 27, 2020 10:53 am 
If you use a battery Minder Battery Minder you can make your batteries last more than a decade. Minders keep the battery charged and while doing so it desulphates the plates keeping them clean and able to hold a charge. Everytime I park my cars I hook up the minder. I cant remember the last time I had to buy a vehicle battery.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Apr 27, 2020 1:42 pm 
Lots of hype for that bike. I don't get it. Rear hub motor. Single speed. Rim brakes. To get belt drive and proper brakes it's another $300. FLX seems to have a challenge servicing their existing customer base, not sure how they plan to service all these new customers and will be disastrous if a part fails. My guess is a lot of customers will burn out their motor on hills and FLX will be out of business. Luna fixed at $1750 is a much better bike with a 3 speed IGH and mid drive torque sensing motor that won't burn out on hills.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Apr 27, 2020 10:45 pm 
The first thing you think when you see the FLX is "that's a hipster bike" not "that's an eBike." I bet there see a lot of people who've been riding for years and are interested in adding an eBike to the stable. That's clearly the target market for this bike. There are people who like riding a single speed. Everyone else sees that as a huge negative. The 28 inch wheels and caliper brakes would be deal breakers for me. Internal cable routing is nice, though, that bike has clean lines. smile.gif Why don't you get a carbon frame at that price?