Forum Index > Gear Talk > Electric Bikes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jan 13, 2021 1:45 pm 
I picked up a $25 Kryptonite TKO folding lock from Walmart. Super easy to use and better than something that loppers can cut. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kryptonite-Folding-Bicycle-Lock/624328364 If they are able to cut the lock I have a GPS tracker hidden and secured in my frame and internally wired to battery. Was pretty inexpensive. I ended up using a FreedomPop SIM for free tracking. I was surprised how well it tracks.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jan 13, 2021 3:26 pm 
I have one of those locks too. Unfortunately, in an area with very little bike infrastructure, that lock won't work. It won't go around all light posts and trees, etc. I'm also carrying a cable lock which is good for here. My bike also has a wheel lock that must be engaged in order to remove the key. The happy drunks kind of kept an eye on it at Safeway, in the precovid days. I take it into home depot. They block their bike rack off with displays and get perturbed if you lock it to a display rack. I've complained about that but guess bike riding customers are rare as nothing is done.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jan 15, 2021 7:59 am 
I think he bought the bike! Best ebike video I've seen. How to explain how they work? It's me, only faster. Lots of humor and riding on pavement, gravel and trails.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Mar 11, 2021 9:44 am 
Well I pulled the lever and bought a Watts Hydra. Watts Hydra e-Bike Pictures when I get her put together.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun May 23, 2021 10:57 am 
Here’s the Volton from Tom at Jack Block park on Harbor Island:
Jack Block park
Jack Block park
Reward for riding 25 miles after work yesterday: cod from the Sunfish on Alki.
Sunfish on Alki. Good!
Sunfish on Alki. Good!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun May 23, 2021 12:56 pm 
Nice, good to see the Volton El Legs Express being put to good use!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun May 23, 2021 1:44 pm 
BTW, here is a good lock if you don't want your bike to look like the ghost of Jacob Marley. wink.gif https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kryptonite-Folding-Bicycle-Lock/624328364 Also, for secondary theft protection you might want to look into an apple air tag: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/apple-airtags-the-new-bike-lojack.42333/

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun May 23, 2021 2:05 pm 
I don’t usually bring a lock, but I thought I might need it going into the Sunfish. I didn’t. The lock is for locking a bike to the back of my van. I also have a decent U lock I got during the trade in deal Kryptonite had when their old locks turned out to be useless. If I was going to be locking up a bike like at a Sounders game, it would be my 20 year old Giant Boulder, not any bike with actual value.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon May 24, 2021 9:11 am 
Nice bike there. Still waiting on my new Hydra from WattsWagons.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostTue May 25, 2021 8:50 am 
How do you both like those Volton bikes ? Beefy enough for gravel roads, etc ?

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue May 25, 2021 12:47 pm 
No problems, did just fine for me on gravel roads. The only con is range due to the small internal battery, but you get more of a workout since you're pedaling more to preserve battery.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue May 25, 2021 5:30 pm 
Yes, very beefy. Gravel from Rattlesnake lake to Snoqualmie tunnel on the Iron Horse trail (both directions) was no problem. An even tougher challenge was my ride Saturday from Interbay golf course to Alki point, 12 miles each way. The bike handled my 300 lb bulk on potholed roads, bumpy sidewalks, up and down curbs, winding through tortuous detours over metal plates and worse near Coleman dock, road turtles, railroad tracks, a suspension bridge, tight switchbacks (in more than one place), and dodging pedestrians. One nice thing about an electric bike I discovered: I didn’t mind slowing or stopping for pedestrians, stop lights, etc, like I normally would. The electric function makes recovering lost speed painless.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue May 25, 2021 7:53 pm 
Ok, I have been holding out for the price to drop, what would you "experienced" e-bike users recommend for a beginner bike, or maybe a good kit, lithium ion, I already have 3 pretty good mountain bikes.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed May 26, 2021 4:41 pm 
If you want to come over sometime CJ you can ride my FLX Blade and get an idea of what you like and dont like.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed May 26, 2021 5:35 pm 
For kits you might go with a BBSxx: https://lunacycle.com/mid-drive-kits/ BBS02 is lighter, quieter, and less expensive, but not sure if they are still being made. After you add battery you're well over $1K invested though! Sluggo has a BBS01 in the Volton El Legs that I donated to his wasit management casue. Less powerful than BBS02 and BBSHD but more than enough power on a lighter bike. Here is another kit option that looks really promising if you want to roll your own: https://www.lightest.bike/ FWIW, i still have 2 of the BH closeout ebikes (medium size) orange or blue for < $1K if anyone is interested in an inexpensive ebike (these retailed for $2K+). They are a bit too small for you though CJ.
Blue 29er (medium) for < $1K
Blue 29er (medium) for < $1K