Forum Index > Gear Talk > Electric Bikes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Dec 21, 2008 8:16 am 
This may sound silly, but have you thought of some type of solar cell that you could leave hooked up while you were hiking that would allow for some recharge so that you were in better shape for the return trip? Just a thought. You could carry it strapped to your pack, hook it up while youre away and strap it back on for the return trip. An example: C. Crane Company 10Watt solar panel.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Dec 21, 2008 9:07 am 
Return trip is generally downhill so you don't really need it. Some kits have regen but the small regen savings isn't worth the extra resistance on the flat sections.

PostSun Dec 21, 2008 9:27 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
This may sound silly, but have you thought of some type of solar cell that you could leave hooked up while you were hiking that would allow for some recharge so that you were in better shape for the return trip? Just a thought. You could carry it strapped to your pack, hook it up while youre away and strap it back on for the return trip. An example: C. Crane Company 10Watt solar panel.
My experience is that to charge a battery you really need at least a 30 watt panel. At 30 watts you also need a charge controller. I have seen these rollable panels up to 64 watt capacity. http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.aspx?p_id=11275&store_id=11&did=57# There are suppliers that are making tents for the military with the solar panels sewn into the tent. Mtn. Goat you probably know more than I do, but I hear that the military is really looking at portable alternatives to batteries. With GPS, night vision, and all the other stuff that runs on batteries you can see why they are buying Solar tents. There should be some really great "war surplus" stuff coming onto the market after this war is over. Tom, I agree with you that Europeans and Americans are different. Unfortunately, Schwinn thinks that there is a difference. There is one other option for an electric bike that I ran across. And that is a single wheel trailer where the trailer is electric and pushes the bike. You can stash the pack in the trailer. Not sure how I feel about having the ttrailer push me. Handling?? I believe the maker was out of Vancouver, Canada. If I don't find an appropriate electric bike for touring by this spring I might have to drive over there and see how that concept works.

Retired Forester....rambling round www.usbackroads.blogspot.com
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Dec 21, 2008 10:42 am 
I was thinking say the Suiattle. It's level both directions. So is much of the Middle Fork of the Sno.. That said I get your point.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostWed Dec 31, 2008 7:12 pm 
Look what i found on E bay hockeygrin.gif
pulsejet bicycle
pulsejet bicycle
The buy in now price is only $650! huh.gif I wonder what the if the forest service has any policy against a pulse-jet powered bicycle. uhh.gif I didn't see an option for a spark arrester option

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Dec 31, 2008 8:02 pm 
They would hear you coming for sure, I built a pulse jet in my high school shop class. eek.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Jul 21, 2009 12:31 am 
hijacked.gif Since gas bikes were previously mentioned i decided no too start a new thread. Also...i should mention this..Tom i know you provided a link on Washington state regulations. Well if you read into that link...those were regulations as of 2004. There is a revised code effective 7/26/09 here. Essentially if it's electric it falls under moped regs and is considered a motorized vehicle. frown.gif Anyway, I chose to go the gas route. I looked into electric, i thought there are too many shortcomings. For one, batteries have a weight penalty. Lithium ion batteries come at a heavy price penalty. I like the concept of electric though. So here's my build.
Boundary Bridge
Boundary Bridge
Motorized bicycle
Motorized bicycle
I know from the photo's the engine looks hideously large hanging on the bike. But compare the engine with my fat paw in front of it.
The engine is quite small It's a 49cc overhead valve 4 stroke engine rated at 1.5 hp. Engine power is routed to a small gear reduction box\ centrifugal clutch to the pedal crank. The pedal crank free wheels just like the rear wheel, so while under engine power the crank it's self will not rotate. At the same time i can pedal if i chose to, or the engine needs help. Or i can pedal with the engine off. But there is some drag associated with the gear reduction box while pedaling but it is minimal. The ability to use the original three gears on the crank is lost. So it is now only a 7 speed mountain bike, but the advantage the rear derailleur is now used as a 7 speed transmission for the engine. hockeygrin.gif I've had a few learning experiences.....the first attempt on rideing it on a forest service road the engine was geared to high. The clutch only lasted a few minutes even with me pedaling. With a new clutch, and new gears it works great. Still on the steeper hills the engine rpm will drop of to a level where the clutch will start to slip if don't pedal. I have also had issues keeping the engine drive chain properly tensioned. I'm thinking of adding a spring loaded tensioner. So far i have 50 miles on it..and have not used an entire quart of gas yet. As for weight the whole engine assembly only adds 15 pounds to the bike with fuel an oil. It is feasible to say haul it over a blow down or 90 and though wash outs.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Jul 21, 2009 7:02 am 
I saw one of our members on the Suiattle road riding this. He drove it all the way to the end of the road and back (about 25 miles).
Twist
Twist
from Electric Bikes Northwest

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun May 15, 2011 6:50 pm 
Time for a bump. biggrin.gif After reading the MBSNF road closure list i began thinking about an E bike. My day hike up to the Suiattle river trail and back at the beginning of the month is what pushed me off the fence. I went to E bikes NW and picked up a Giant Twist Freedom.
Suiattle Guard Station
Suiattle Guard Station
It's equipped with a 250 watt hub motor on the front, powered by one lithium-ion battery, claimed maximum range is about 37 miles. Has adjustable front suspension, 7 speed internal geared hub, and a storage pannier opposite of the battery. It is pedal assist. No throttle to mess with. As it is pedal assist, you have to put in some effort for it (the motor) to assist. It cut's off the assist at 15 mph. There's an on/off button, and three power modes eco, normal, sport. Since it's purchase i've spent quite a bit of time on the Centennial trail between Arlington and Lk Stevens testing it out. It's silent. As it cuts off the juice at 15mph, no one really notices your going unnaturally fast. embarassedlaugh.gif There are cyclists on this trail pedaling faster than 15. On the Centennial i have found there is no reason to take it out of eco mode, the motor is powerful enough to keep up within the 15mph range. The Claimed 37 mile range sounds about right. On gravel roads however it's different a different story. Normal, and Sport modes do make a noticeable difference in pedal effort. Also is the noticeable drop in range. Yesterday i took a trip down the Suiattle road. Left it in eco mode, to conserve juice. It seemed like a 10 minute ride to Buck creek campground, the Suiattle guard station seemed to be just around the corner to. Some where between the guard station and Green Mtn meadows, i began to have doubts as to if there would be enough battery for the return trip. So is shut off the power. Wow, i did not realize, that stretch of road was not flat. There is a gentle grade to it. After i passed the junction to Green Mtn i hit the on button. After a few miles of up hill no matter how gentle, i was glad to have the pedal assist back on. The rest of the trip to the end of the road was pretty easy with the assist on. After farting around for a few hours up the trail (off the bike) i decided to make sure i had enough energy for the return trip. Well, the next leg of the trip was a bit of a surprise. There's mostly down hill to Downy creek. Some up hill back to the Green Mountian, from that point it's all down hill to Huckleberry trail head. That's right a free ride for half the length of the road. lol.gif My fear of running out of power was unfounded....but that power conservation effort did have a benefit. I bumped it into sport mode, the extra juice was welcome...my legs were spent anyway. That 5 to 6 hour hike back, is a just 40 minute bike ride. Had i realized how fast the return trip was....i probably would have spent more time out farting around. With this bike i can pedal up hills that normally i would have to get off an push. True, @ 250 watts, it's a bit anemic, but i think it's a good compromise between power and range. More watts would mean less range. That said, for roads like Suiattle i'm thinking about picking up an extra battery so i can use the higher power setting's One unexpected benefit. I actually enjoy riding this bicycle. eek.gif I cannot say that about any other bicycle I've ridden in the past.

alpinelakes

alpinelakes
PostMon May 16, 2011 2:34 pm 
DPX makes an adapter to power bikes using cordless drill technology
Pretty damn clever. Cordless drills have really improved a lot recently. DPX Cordless Bike Page

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon May 16, 2011 2:47 pm 
Those arent cheap Hulkster. How would you compare yours to these Hulkster? Ultramotor

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue May 17, 2011 10:08 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Those arent cheap Hulkster. How would you compare yours to these Hulkster? Ultramotor
73 lbs for what's basically a electric BMX bike!!! eek.gif All have a bigger motor, but shorter range as expected. But that could be extended by pedaling. The motor can be used without pedaling On the giant pedaling is required. More expensive. Disk breaks are nice. I purposely avoided an E bike that could be powered without pedaling, to avoid the temptation of just cruising on battery power. I can extend my range by having a bike that is easier to pedal....i can also extend my range by exercising. In the end it's comes down to a personal choice.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue May 17, 2011 11:43 am 
Pedal assist ebikes work well for a relatively flat roads like the Suiattle but not for roads with sustained uphill - the motors just aren't powerful enough to keep up or offset the extra weight of the bike. That's where a non-pedal assist geared hub ebike will shine.

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostTue May 17, 2011 12:29 pm 
You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue May 17, 2011 12:49 pm 
Tom, is the Ezee internal gear hub the hot setup? I'm pondering getting the kit and building a fork and frame around it.