Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Mar 03, 2020 11:23 am 
Slugman wrote:
BPJ, you should quote her and her obvious political cheap shot with your “here we go” comment. agree.gif
Sluggmeister, you know very well I try and avoid such things. I don't want to lose my NWH privileges again!!!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Mar 03, 2020 7:42 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
My bike is rated at 80 miles. In real life, and after riding around on changing terrain, and yes, shutting off the assist on the flats, I figure 50. But like I said, I need to ride it farther. Pretty much everywhere I ride has a long grade to go up which sucks power.
Thanks for sharing your thinking and what to expect from the battery. I wouldn't want to sign up for a 200 mile ride either with an 80 mile battery! You (and everyone in this thread) should post bike TRs! 🙂

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Mar 03, 2020 8:20 pm 
My bike and probably many other bikes will estimate how many miles you can go based on what power level you are in and what you've been doing. I don't know how accurate it is. I either have to look up which buttons to push or just start pushing buttons on the display.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Mar 03, 2020 11:23 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
A battery for a Bosch is around $800. I don't think I want to invest in a spare.
That's why I bought 2 closeout bikes for $777. Spare battery problem solved. Replacement batteries for euro-spec motors (Bosch, Yamaha, Shimano) are crazy overpriced. For comparison Frey quoted me $420 for a spare 840Wh battery on my CC. Twice as much power for half the cost of a spare Yamaha battery.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Mar 04, 2020 8:19 am 
Tom wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
A battery for a Bosch is around $800. I don't think I want to invest in a spare.
That's why I bought 2 closeout bikes for $777. Spare battery problem solved. Replacement batteries for euro-spec motors (Bosch, Yamaha, Shimano) are crazy overpriced. For comparison Frey quoted me $420 for a spare 840Wh battery on my CC. Twice as much power for half the cost of a spare Yamaha battery.
Yeah but I did end up with a bike that is comfortable for me to do miles on. It's Dutch made and is designed to be comfy. 'cept you don't look cool on it here in the U.S. I have a spare that I got for the Rad. They had a sale on batteries for the 2017 Radmini because it was obsolete. It took about 6 weeks to finally arrive and I had to do a bit of work to track the battery down in the Fedex void. That's the other thing about ebikes, the battery is considered to be hazardous so some carriers won't haul them.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 04, 2020 9:57 am 
treeswarper wrote:
That's the other thing about ebikes, the battery is considered to be hazardous so some carriers won't haul them.
Ya. Lithium Ion "Often" means fire. Not a good thing on an airplane.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Mar 04, 2020 10:24 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
That's the other thing about ebikes, the battery is considered to be hazardous so some carriers won't haul them.
Lithium Ion batteries are allowed in carry on baggage, but not checked baggage. Also Lithium Ion batteries for eBikes and hoverboards aren't allowed in most subway systems -- due to hoverboard fires several years ago in the NYC subway. Lithium Ion battery manufacturing standards have improved since then and the risk of fire is much lower -- but the hoverboard ban is still in place -- a good thing for many reasons beyond the risk of fire -- hoverboard riders on the sidewalks are annoying enough.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Mar 05, 2020 9:48 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
I haven't had an issue myself yet, but two friends have. They'll only charge their lipos in flowerpots or the holes in a cinderblock now.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Mar 05, 2020 12:36 pm 
I just make sure the charger part is on a solid surface, like the uncarpeted floor. I store my bike in the house so I don't remove the battery to charge it.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Mar 07, 2020 8:44 pm 
France is leading the fight against illegal ebike tuning. On 24th of December 2019, an amended traffic law, Article L317-1, was passed, covering both personal motor-powered vehicles and pedal-assist bicycles. It states that anyone modifying their ebike to exceed the maximum authorized speed – currently 25 km/h for electric bicycles and 45 km/h for speed pedelecs – could now have their bike impounded, face one year in prison and fines of up to €30,000. https://ebike-mtb.com/en/france-bans-illegal-emtb-tuning/

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Mar 08, 2020 9:13 pm 
These sound cool. Detachable motors! When you want it, you've got an extra 250w, when you don't it's a carbon road bike with Ultegra and hydro brakes. With the motor, it's about 25 pounds heavier than a modern "acoustic" road bike. Road bikes are efficient, 250w is a lot when you're not giving it all up to the wind and the tires. https://electrek.co/2020/03/08/bulls-electric-bicycles-fazua-rild-flow-alpine-hawk-evo/amp/
There's a gravel one too. They're crazy expensive because of the novelty and the aesthetic.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Mar 08, 2020 9:50 pm 
I turned my assist off whilst on a flat stretch. I had a tail wind and was going along at 15 to 17 mph. Earlier, I sped up a grade in Turbo at a brisk 6mph. Camera aimed towards Conconully ten miles or so in that direction.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Mar 10, 2020 7:21 am 
A thread on how far can you go. That's the most common question and cannot be accurately answered as there are Too Many Depends Ons. I like the phrase "Speed Costs". https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/real-range-what-can-you-get-from-a-charge.32397/

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Mar 11, 2020 9:39 am 
You kind of have the same thing on a regular bike, going fast takes more out of you. I can never remember whether air resistance goes up with the square or cube of speed, but going faster takes way more energy. You see that in fuel efficiency in your car too.

neek

neek
PostWed Mar 11, 2020 10:30 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
I can never remember whether air resistance goes up with the square or cube of speed, but going faster takes way more energy. You see that in fuel efficiency in your car too.
Pretty much square, but it's complicated; there's friction from the air sliding past you, but also force require to accelerate and move the air in front of you. Also human metabolism becomes much less efficient at higher levels of exertion. So it helps to make yourself more aerodynamic.