Forum Index > Gear Talk > Electric Bikes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jun 15, 2023 4:10 pm 
Kite, it's a Burley Travoy with market bags. Works great!

kite, RumiDude
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Jun 15, 2023 9:54 pm 
Tom wrote:
Kite, it's a Burley Travoy with market bags. Works great!
Just a few questions? How is this at speed? Do you use extra lighting with this? How does it affect handling? Is there any special maintenance with this? I have two Ortlieb Classic panniers. Are there special precautions working with panniers? Anyway, it looks really sweet and I am already thinking of saving up for one. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jun 16, 2023 1:32 am 
No extra lighting needed (it doesn't block my seat light). No maintenance either. You can see I use it with two ortlieb panniers. I use panniers for storage when I don't bring the trailer, but when carrying a lot of weight it's nice to have the trailer since it doesn't weigh down the rear suspension. No issues at speed, in fact it's probably safer than loading up panniers which makes the ride less stable, especially if I don't lock the rear suspension. It's actually one of the least expensive trailers out there and doesn't require a special hitch. I like that I can quickly remove it when I don't need it. I read it also works well off pavement, such as logging roads, although I haven't tried using it for that.

RumiDude, kite
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jun 18, 2023 11:26 am 
What kind of trailer Tom?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Jun 20, 2023 9:41 pm 
The main problem with the e bikes is they make it too easy!!! You shouldn't be able to fit thru a drive thru if you're invested in a truck. You should have to go to the big PULL THRUS if you want to get a burger.
Randito wrote:
But this is America, where driving a F-350 through the drive through to get a triple cheeseburger is a scared act.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jun 21, 2023 7:11 am 
what's up with the exploding batteries that are dominating the news cycle this morning? user error? overcharging? what's the story here guys? if there was an inherent problem with the battery itself, would it have not already manifested itself in such a manner that any issues would have been taken care of? or is there any possibility there was some little bug they didn't quite work out all the way?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jun 21, 2023 7:45 am 
Nothing, it's just media hype.

NWtrax, Opus
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jun 21, 2023 9:45 am 
lead-acid batteries will explode under the right conditions, but they are not known for setting cars alight or burning buildings.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jun 21, 2023 11:11 am 
Lithium batteries suprisingly contain Lithium which catches fire when exposed to air or water. Not as much of a problem with cars phones or computers but bikes and especially hoverboards and scooters get rougher service likely to cause a breech. Unfortunately new sodium batteries are more potentially dangerous.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jun 21, 2023 11:57 am 
ahh.. okay.. I'm not at all familiar with the technology myself. It does raise a genuine concern, though. Perception is reality for the consumer - facts are irrelevant.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jun 24, 2023 1:29 pm 
My Tacoma sits in the driveway most of the time, except in winter when the roads are slick. I wouldn't feel safe riding my bike around on slick roads since we have no bicycle lanes and not much in the way of shoulders on roads. I have a pair of panniers and it is amazing how much they can hold, but it sure is harder to get going with a full load on. I haven't hauled a watermelon this year. I'm waiting for the Hermiston melons. As to fires? My most used bike is a Dutch made bike and meets the European standards for safety so I'm not too worried. Bosch stuff ain't cheap. It seems to me that most of the fires are from improper plugging in (daisy chaining), home made or super cheap "deals" in batteries, etc. and are in NYC, where ebikes are heavily used for deliveries and more batteries are used, and more people trying to save money with cheap batteries. I feel like I'm stickin' it to the oil companies, and they deserve it. My bike is more than paid for in the amount of gas that I didn't buy.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jun 24, 2023 1:42 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
It's crazy that there are two broad categories of bikes, and we only give tax rebates on the ones that cause more carbon emissions.
Really? My acoustic bicycles have had much much lower prices than my ebike. What would I get? Ten bucks back? And yes, I know there are carbon fiber titanium dilithium crystal bicycles out there that cost more than my ebike, and more than cars, etc. The idea is to get people out of their cars, but not make it extra work. I have a killer hill to my house on one side, and a gradual one the other way. If I want to ger UP out of the valley, that's longer, steep climbs. I'd be pushing my Old Yeller mountain bike. The ebike makes riding enjoyable, not a sufferfest. We also need to make the case that bicycles are not just for the weekend, spandex clad snooty cliques, but can save us money in the long run by using them on the short trips around town. So many don't get it. I will say that I'd have driven to the store today if I didn't have a ebike to ride. Isn't that what it's about?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Opus, reststep, RumiDude
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Jun 25, 2023 6:48 am 
Ski wrote:
ahh.. okay.. I'm not at all familiar with the technology myself. It does raise a genuine concern, though. Perception is reality for the consumer - facts are irrelevant.
Here is a good video about battery safety. The guy who made the video has been selling ebikes since the beginning of the recent "boom" and was even fined for selling them in NYC, where ebikes were illegal for a few years. His videos are lengthy, so popcorn is recommended.

RumiDude
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jul 07, 2023 11:30 am 
Good grief! There was another ebike parked in MY parking space at the Walmarche. I had to go to the other end of the rack!

Ski
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Oct 26, 2023 9:19 am 
Just did a tire replacement at 5000 miles. I have the same kind, but improved somewhat. I had no flats with the old tires and the rear tire was just starting to need inflating every three days to keep it hard. The Schwalbe Marathon E Plus tires were hard to find in the right size. I ended up buying them direct from Schwalbe North America and had to wait for a shipment to arrive. Will I get 5000 more miles?