Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Oct 26, 2023 12:24 pm 
neek wrote:
There's an interesting analysis of lifetime emissions for various bike styles at https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2023/02/can-we-make-bicycles-sustainable-again.html
https://view.publitas.com/trek-bicycle/trek-bicycle-2021-sustainability-report/page/1 This is the latest year available. Nick's link has some discussion on emissions required to make frames out of different materials. This is a more detailed break down. Most nwhikers won't get much out of reading this, but a few of us love cycling and will enjoy all the detail available here. I would love to see a report like this from Cervelo.

trestle
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
trestle

trestle
PostFri Oct 27, 2023 9:42 am 
Interesting document. Several of the noted areas of focus are directly supported by the acquisition of local shops and converting them to Trek-only stores. As for one of the elephants in the forum, I would much prefer to see a tax credit or rebate for their #1 area of focus, mode share shifting, than for the purchase alone of any new bike.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostFri Oct 27, 2023 6:14 pm 
Not sure the data is in but talk amongst NA and U.K. Fire community assumes bikes meeting UL/ULC or CE standards are less likely to be a problem. Scooters? Junk. Lots of fires, both London and FDNY have been trying to figure out what to do. Cars. The evidence is pretty clear, significantly fewer fires, and lower total heat output than ICE, though hard to extinguish. One or two countries (Netherlands?) is putting them in a tank. Strangely the public never expressed concern with that mid-engine Porche that had a magnesium block. Yes, it burn, and could be hard to get to. Slickest solution was to beat it back temporarily, then tip it over, and extinguish from bottom with overwhelming amount of water. Someone that’s more of a car person than me will know model. Edit: Studies cited aren’t in English. Translation I read was so so. I couldn’t confirm when I read that different ages of BEV and ICE had been accounted for.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Oct 28, 2023 1:38 pm 
Pyrites wrote:
Not sure the data is in but talk amongst NA and U.K. Fire community assumes bikes meeting UL/ULC or CE standards are less likely to be a problem. Scooters? Junk. Lots of fires, both London and FDNY have been trying to figure out what to do.
From my light reading on this, fires are a problem when several batteries are recharging out of one electrical outlet, chargers not specific to that brand of battery are used, home made modifications have been done to the battery, etc. These happen in too small apartments with too few outlets where folks who rely on their bikes to make a living are at living. I have forgotten to unplug my bike a few times. That's a problem that could be a problem. I tell myself that a Bosch system is most likely pretty safe.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Nov 10, 2023 6:26 pm 
Anyone have an opinion on this bike or the overall deal? https://www.rei.com/product/190640/co-op-cycles-generation-e12-electric-bike The battery on the bike Tom gave me is starting to weaken a bit. Still good up to 20 flattish miles if I practice boost restraint. It would cost a good bit to have the battery replaced, it is inside the bike frame. I estimate it has about 7 ah remaining of the 9.6 it started with. The REI bike has 14.5 ah and the batteries are readily available.

JPH

JPH
PostFri Nov 10, 2023 6:36 pm 
I got that bike for my wife and to serve as a third car for the kids to be able to get around town. It's been great so far, but I can't say anyone has ridden a long trip that would test the battery. After trying ours, one of our friends bought the 1.1 version and loves it for commuting about 7 miles each way 5 days/wk in Seattle.

Slugman
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Nov 11, 2023 7:13 am 
Sounds OK if you aren't going on long happy rides. Note that it is a class 1 bike which means no throttle to get going on steep hills. But, at 50 something pounds, it is light for an ebike at that price. I just passed the 5000 mile mark on my bike. Got new tires and the brakes bled and adjusted. I think the battery is not as good as it was, but hard to tell because I'm riding more in Sport to get home with groceries. There's been a lot of wind this year, and the town rerouted a lot of traffic so my quiet bike route is no longer that. Higher assist gets one through the bad traffic quicker.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Slugman
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Nov 11, 2023 11:43 am 
I like that REI doesn’t charge for shipping for store pick up, the bike is fully assembled and adjusted, and comes with two years of adjustments and flat repairs (you pay for parts). Plus one year to return it if it just doesn’t work for you. At $1139 it’s a bargain as long as it’s a decent bike. 54 lbs is well within my ability to get it on and off my bike rack on my camper van.

sarbar
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Nov 11, 2023 2:58 pm 
I still have a BH Rebel eMTB for salle. New in box. $750. It's a medium size so won't work for Slugman. I picked these up during the pandemic. Similar bike would cost $1500 or more. It's a mid drive motor so much better for logging roads than a rear hub which can't take advantage of the gearing of the bike when climbing steeper hills.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Nov 11, 2023 3:15 pm 
I never got a flat on my old tires. So, the replacements are the same--Schwalbe Marathon E plus. I often pick up goatheads on my shoes, but haven't found any poked into the Schwalbes. The local guy now works on ebikes. I'll take mine in for a thorough checkup soon.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat Nov 11, 2023 5:25 pm 
There is a sale at REI right now until Nov 20, and one of the items that is on sale is the Burley Travoy Cargo Trailer. This is the one that Tom has and recommends. Regular price is $300 and is on sale now for 20% off at $239.99. Anyway, lots of bike stuff included in the sale, so check it out for something you need/want. Rumi EDIT: Also there is an extra 20% off one full priced item or one Outlet item. Sorry, members only.

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Nov 12, 2023 2:18 pm 
I just bought the Burley Travoy. Deciding factors over panniers were carrying capacity and that the extra weight is not on the bike itself. I didn’t get any bags or rain covers as I have a full assortment of dry bags from canoe camping.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Nov 14, 2023 7:14 am 
Wow. This town is going to actually have a bike/pedestrian lane. The bad news is that construction won't start until 2026. The state is building it as part of a bridge replacement. up.gif My strategy for getting across the current, narrow bridge is to check for traffic behind, wait for it to clear, increase the assist to Turbo, and pedal like hell to get across.

RumiDude
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Nov 15, 2023 10:04 pm 
Just picked up my Coop e1.2 bike from REI. First impressions: it’s pretty sweet. I took it for a 5 mile ride, it rode like a dream. It’s almost impossibly strong for a 350 watt motor. At top boost level, pedaling in 5th gear (of 7), it seemed to practically leap forward. In top gear, attaining and maintaining 20 mph on the flat was a very mild effort. It was easy to lift onto the bike rack, the built in lights worked well, the seat was comfy, and the tires at 2.5 in were wide but not too wide. Riding position was great. The only thing I don’t like is that a flat tire would be an issue, the wheels don’t come off easily like a regular bike, or like my Volton Express. I think I will have REI install some kevlar tube protectors, and I will get some tire goo as well.

RumiDude
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Nov 16, 2023 7:55 am 
Slugman wrote:
The only thing I don’t like is that a flat tire would be an issue, the wheels don’t come off easily like a regular bike, or like my Volton Express. I think I will have REI install some kevlar tube protectors, and I will get some tire goo as well.
Spend the bucks for a set of Schwalbe tires. They are worth it. I mean, I live in goathead aka puncture vine habitat. I frequently find a thorn stuck in my shoes. No flats at all, so far, on my Ebike. That's about 5000 miles on the first set of Schwalbe Marathons. Bike shop people call them bomb proof tires. No tire liners needed, no Slime. Their website gives ratings for anti-flatness. It's the brand the local bike shop guy recommends for the bike tourers that come through here.

Slugman